luber sizer

• 5.4K Views
  • Last Post 08 March 2013
Buffington posted this 27 December 2012

I have an old lyman 450. Want to upgrade to new luber sizer and use lyman sizer bushings. Are RCBS sizers o. k. Any suggestions. Thanks

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Michael K posted this 08 March 2013

I have a Lyman 450 and both versions of the RCBS sizers, all 3 work well. The RCBS Lubamatic II which I bought used gave me some issues with the harder/heated lubes. I then delegated it strictly to BP lube. I have since replaced the O-ring on the plunger but have not tried it on the harder lubes. See no reason why it should not work fine now. Having more than one sizer is nice by avoiding the hassle of changing out lubes if you use more than one type.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 07 March 2013

Bill, Yep it is the same one, back in production by the Magma casting machine company. Ric

Attached Files

billglaze posted this 07 March 2013

I bought my Lyman 45 in 1952--paid $14.95 for it, and it's never needed any servicing; yes, if I forget to remove the pressure on the lube column from it before I put it away, it will seep/extrude an amount of lube from the bottom of whatever die I have installed, but I consider that fact a combination of haste/carelessness on my part. Occasionally, I see mentioned a Star lubrisizer, and am wondering if it could be the same Star mentioned by Phil Sharpe in his book “Complete Guide to Handloading” which I have had since 1952--yes, it's a “little” dated, but still fun to read. Bill

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is. My fate is not entirely in Gods hands, if I have a weapon in mine.

Attached Files

CB posted this 01 January 2013

My experience: RCBS - First one bought, used both RCBS and Lyman dies, had to deepen the hole to get both brands of dies to seat properly. I did this with a long drill and hand turning the drill while putting down pressure in a drill press. What I did was deepen the seat and uniform it. Lyman 450 - Bought this on sale so I could use pistol lube in it and rifle lube in the RCBS. Also bought a heater at that time for the RCBS. Today, it is dedicated to black powder lube. SAECO - Bought this because Steve Johannsen improved his scores markedly after he bought his. This lubri-sizer did the same for me, lessened the occurrence of fliers. I think the gascheck alignment is better with their design concept. Star - This had been my pistol, high-volume lubri-sizer until I talked with David Lee who was very successful sizing nose first through his Star. With .310 and .3115 dies and the custom punch for nose first dies from Chris Smith, this method is even better for reducing fliers. Alice Gardner is shooting these nose-first bullets and doing better in competition this past year with them.

In summary, I like the results for nose-first through Star and will try to find two more as cheap as this one - $30.00 at the Aledo Gun Show thirty years ago. The problem is changing lube back and forth, the Star is a major headache. I will set one up for pistol and one for plain-base and black powder. In the meantime; the Star for nose-first, the SAECO and RCBS with hard-lube, the Lyman with plain-base and black powder lube.

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 01 January 2013

I had a Star for a while. It was fast to use but slow to set up. The Saeco looks like a neat rig but I don't feel like starting over with sizer dies. The RCBS is about like the Lyman from what I've seen. Myself I think I'd take the money for a new sizer and buy a jug of powder and burn it all up!

Attached Files

Uncle Russ posted this 01 January 2013

Well said Charger,

Its is called marketing, convince 'em they need it whether they do or not.

Salesmanship-Politics. Same thing different lable.

Attached Files

Chargar posted this 31 December 2012

A good Lyman 45 or 450 will last a lifetime if not abused and with a little maintainance. So, what is Lyman to do..well bring out a “new and improved” model of course. They do this knowing that folks will think they need it and buy it. That is the way to create sales.

I have three 450s and don't plan to “upgrade".

Attached Files

Uncle Russ posted this 31 December 2012

Duane; Your continued straight thinking and common sense answers are really appreciated by people with more important things on their mind. Then to worry about non issues. If it don't leak and the die is down tight don't worry about it.

Attached Files

Duane Mellenbruch posted this 30 December 2012

That would be a good thing.  Some of my dies are really difficult to start into the retaining nut.  Or to remove for that matter.  I ended up making a “home remedy” to help push those dies out of the retaining nut.  Must be a variety of O rings used over the years.  I probably can find at least one of those rolls of teflon tape around the house and give it a try next time.  Thanks.  Duane

Attached Files

Maven posted this 30 December 2012

Not really complaining Duane, as very little lube actually extrudes past the nut/flange.  The teflon wrap, however, has eliminated it + it makes reinstallation (as when changing H & I dies) quite a bit slicker.

Attached Files

Duane Mellenbruch posted this 29 December 2012

Maven wrote: My Lub-A-Matic II does that as well.  I recently tried wrapping it 2X with teflon tape so as to prevent any lube from extruding past it.  Thus far it's working. The old Lyman 45 had no O ring seal at the top of the die.  The Lyman and RCBS have an O ring, and if it is worn or broken it will leak.  The size die is tapered on the bottom to center in the housing and seal the lube.  If it does not, perhaps you have an issue with either the sizer housing, or the location of the die.

The space between the retaining nut flange and the casting allows room to tighten down the nut in the event that a die is too short.  Imagine the complaining if the nut did not tighten and it leaked.  The presence of the gap is a good thing, it seems to me.  Duane

Attached Files

Maven posted this 29 December 2012

My Lub-A-Matic II does that as well.  I recently tried wrapping it 2X with teflon tape so as to prevent any lube from extruding past it.  Thus far it's working.

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 29 December 2012

I have 2 RCBS lubamatics.

Neither allows the retaining nut for the H&I dies to bottom out (hex part come down to the casting). That's OK. Both will snug down on the H&I die. (I have 20 or 30 dies - all of which function this way.) Am I missing something?

Attached Files

highstandard40 posted this 28 December 2012

TRK Aligning the nut squarely is not the issue. The die body will not go far enough into the lubrisizer body to allow the nut to be tightend fully. See the post by Wayne S above.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 28 December 2012

I always keep my eye out on e-bay for good deals but those Lyman #45's are really fetching a high price . . . even more that the #450! I think that I got both of my #45's for about $40.00 each. A sharp eye & quick fingers will get one for cheap.

Pat

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 28 December 2012

highstandard40 wrote: ... As far as the RCBS sizer, I have heard of some folks having problems with dies. The bevel on the bottom of Lyman vs RCBS dies are not always the same and if I remember correctly sometimes it's hard to get the retaining nut to screw in. ... .

It's easy - bring the ram down LIGHTLY to align the nut squarely with the body.

Attached Files

mike morrison posted this 28 December 2012

that is as far as mine screws down. had it since it was new. always wondered why, never looked into it as it worked. m

Attached Files

Wayne S posted this 28 December 2012

And if you are looking at used,  well , I got this RCBS L/S in a trade, neither RCBS OR Lyman H&I dies will allow the retaining nut to screw down any further that what is shown. And a trip to RCBS got the answer “IT'S within specs”

Attached Files

highstandard40 posted this 27 December 2012

If you have a 450 there is no need to upgrade. I have two and they work great. If you wish to add a heater, that can be done cheaply to the 450. One way to add a heater is to add a metal plate between the sizer and the bench, then place a dime store clothes iron on the plate. You can control the temp with the heat control on the iron. As far as the RCBS sizer, I have heard of some folks having problems with dies. The bevel on the bottom of Lyman vs RCBS dies are not always the same and if I remember correctly sometimes it's hard to get the retaining nut to screw in. I have not personally had this issue, because I don't own the RCBS sizer, it's just what I've heard others say. My Lyman 450s take either Lyman or RCBS dies with no issues.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 27 December 2012

I, like Jeff, have a couple of the older 45's. They will use the newer H&I dies. I love the 45's. I also have a 450 which works well.

Pat

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close