Ruger New Model Blackhawk Flat-Top Convertible .45

• 11K Views
  • Last Post 19 June 2013
Ed Harris posted this 20 December 2012

Just picked up a Ruger New Model Blackhawk .45 on the “medium” flat-top frame, as as used for the new Vaqueros.

It is blued, 4-5/8” barrel with both .45 Colt and ACP cylinders, light alloy XR3 grip frame and Micro rear sight. Just like the 50-year .357 models, except bigger holes. This guy weighs 36 ozs.

Cylinder throats in both cylinders are right at .452", groove diameter slugs at .4505", twist is 16 inches. Cylinder gap 0.006".

Took it to the range the other day blowing away some odds and ends of .45 Colt loads I had for the New Service, but it is apparent I'm going to have to size bullets for this one, as the .455 as-cast is asking alot to size in the cylinder driving them through with 6.5 grains of Bullseye.

Have got more test loads assembled with .452 bullets, but waiting for some Pachmayr rubber grips to arrive, because with the tiny grips for Cowboy mouse fart loads which came on this thing it is unpleasant to shoot with full loads.

Anybody else had their hands on one of these, just curious. More detailed range report and eye candy to follow.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
R. Dupraz posted this 20 December 2012

Ed:

Don't have exactly what you've got but there is a stainless steel New Vaquero .45 Long Colt 4 5/8” laying right beside me as I write. Have had it for a while now and it likes the Lyman 454190 250 gr with seven grains of Unique right well. Near as I can remember, I size to .452"

You're right about the small grips, Dang thing rapped the second finger smartly untill I started moving my little finger under the grip when I fired it. Never thought of trying some Pachmayrs.

RD

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 20 December 2012

Yeah, wrapping the little finger did no good at all with 260-gr. bullet and 6.5 grains of Bullseye at about 900 fps!

Got some Starline Schofield brass to try for lighter loads, easy to keep separate. So far 5 grains of Bullseye with 230-gr. Saeco #954 shows promise, unsized .455", 12 BHN tumbled in Lee Liquid Alox bullets averaging 2.36” at 25 yards. Think properly sized may do better.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 20 December 2012

2.36” at the 25, not bad at all. The front sight on my Vaquero likes to play the disappearing act all the time. I'm an old bulls eye shooter left over from the sixties. But I can still hold my own at 20 yds off hand most of the time. Think this .45 would probaly shoot as well from what Iv'e seen.

RD

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 21 December 2012

Break out the carbide lamp and give it a go.

The 2.36” avg. is sandbagged, of course.

Attached Files

Michael K posted this 21 December 2012

Hi Ed,

I have had a 5.5” BH for about 10yrs and finally made it around to getting the cylinders reamed to a uniform .4525". In looking back at my old load data and the various loads have I tried, most shoot right around 3” at 25yds. A few were better, a few more were worse. 45 ACPs actually shot better than the Colt. I have not gone back and reshot my data after the cylinder work. I fully expect to see some different results from both cylinders.

With standard factory equivalent 250-255gr loads it is all anyone would want shoot for an extended period of time. Full house 125gr or 158gr 357s from a 686 seem tame in comparison. Moving up to the Ruger/TC loads, it is a handfull. Upper end 240gr loads from my 44 SHR are more comfortable to shoot.

If you have not already done so, spend some time shooting the 45ACP cylinder. The is something unique about that round in the BH. Call it silly but there something about how everything comes together between the weight, balance, center of gravity, recoil, grips, etc., I can only describe it with one word. Fun. Other shooters that I have told this to have looked at me as if I was completely nuts, that is until they shot it. They to have described it as something completely different from what they expected, and “fun". Even those who own other Colt and S&W revolvers in 45ACP have mentioned it as different from those other revolvers.

If you want an interesting read and have Speer's 13th edition on hand, compare the 45 Colt Ruger/TC data with the heavier bullets to their 44 Mag using similar bullet weights.

I find the BH 45Colt/ACP to be very diverse and of coarse, fun. Enjoy, Michael.

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 21 December 2012

Ed; I believe you will come to really enjoy the Ruger Convertible. Mine is a Bisley .45 Colt/.45 ACP and I enjoy both cylinders. I shoot a LOT of .45 ACP (mostly in my 625's) but my Bisley is a natural with all of that .45 ACP brass lying around. Here is a picture of my Bisley with the .45 ACP cylinder:

All in all, a VERY satisfying pairing up...

Dale53

Attached Files

Chargar posted this 21 December 2012

I have one of the new Lipsey's Ruger Flatop 45 convertibles and think very highly of it. Like yours it has cylinder throats of .452. The barrel is a very smooth interior finish and refused to collect any lead. I also note, the interior dimensions of the charge holes are smaller that the large hog wallows that Ruger tends to produce in their 45 Colt sixguns.

The pistol is very well made and shoots far better than I can hold it. My loads are the very traditional Keith 454424/8.5/Unique. I size these bullets .452 and lube with my old home brew lube of beeswax and Vasaline.

If I can make it work, here is a pic. The SBH hammer from Midway (less than $30) makes it easier to pull the hammer with my arthritis. Neat Texas Honey Mesquite grips by Cary Chapman.

Attached Files

steveco posted this 21 December 2012

What is the correct Pachmayr grip model number for the XR3 grip frame? I can only find models listed to fit the XR3-RED frame.

Thanks, Steve

Attached Files

Duane Trusty posted this 22 December 2012

Charger

Did you have to modify the grip frame to fit the Super Blackhawk Hammer in the flat top.

I have the 44 special flat top ( I assume your 45 is the same intermediate frame size?) I have small hands with joint stifness so have a little stretch to reach the hammer.

Duane

Attached Files

Ed

Not to highjack the thread, but since we are talking Ruger 45 Colt/ 45 ACP convertables, have you ever heard of anyone relieving the back of the cylinder so 45 Auto Rim could be use as well as well as the ACP?

Yes, and before someone jumps in, I know that more of the rear of the ACP case will have less support, but so it is my 625 S&W and nothing compared to chamber of my old National Match that was relieved for 45 ACP target loads.

Duane

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 22 December 2012

Duane,

It has been done for years, I have an Old Model Blackhawk with that done. It has better support than the load ramp on a 1911, FWIW.

Ric

Attached Files

Chargar posted this 22 December 2012

Duane.... The SBH hammer is a simple drop in change with no modifications of any kind to the firearm. It sure makes cocking easier on the sore thumb.

Attached Files

Ric & Chargar

Thanks for the help, this why I like the Association and it's Forum. You get real answers from those who have been there done that, not whant to be experts.

Duane

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 22 December 2012

Duane Trusty wrote: Not to highjack the thread, but since we are talking Ruger 45 Colt/ 45 ACP convertables, have you ever heard of anyone relieving the back of the cylinder so 45 Auto Rim could be use as well as well as the ACP?...I know that more of the rear of the ACP case will have less support, but... nothing compared to chamber of my old National Match that was relieved for 45 ACP target loads. Duane

No reason it couldn't be done, but I don't know anyone who has done it. I see no advantage unless you already have a bunch of auto-rim brass.

Attached Files

steveco wrote: What is the correct Pachmayr grip model number for the XR3 grip frame? I can only find models listed to fit the XR3-RED frame.Thanks, Steve

I'm not sure, I ordered online from Midway based on the gun model number. We will have to see if they fit, and if so what they are. Have email that they have been shipped, so stay tuned!

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 22 December 2012

Ed,

I must live in M1917 heaven, so there is a lot of AR brass out here. Most of the ACP brass has been shot in IPSICK matches, so they pick it up and reload. The ones you find are from the pistols that has to have the brass pushed thru a form die to get the head small enough to fit into a shell holder.

Most of the local gun shops stock R-P AR brass when they make a run.

Plus, all of my loads in AR brass are light enough for Webley's, M1917, etc. They are the same pressure that I load for MkII cases for the .455.

So, if I have the Ruger BlackHawk kit out shooting, it will do with any 45 rounds I have. (I know, I shouldn't shoot the Webley cases in the 45 Colt cylinder, but they work just fine.)

Merry Christmas, Ric

Attached Files

Ric,

Haven't seen an AR case here other than Starline in years. Been playing with a new gang mold for the 265-gr. Webley Mk.II hollowbased bullet. Too long to clear the cylinder in .45 Colt brass, but works just fine in Schofield brass. Only rub is that the Schofield rims are too big to chamber in my .45 Colt H&R Handi-Gun, need to borrow somebody's .44-40 reamer to clean out the rim seat.

Left to right Saeco #954 230-gr., #955 260-gr., Webley Mk. II 265-gr. HB.

Group shot at 25 yards with Schofield brass, as-cast, unsized at .455 diameter 260-gr. Saeco #955 and 4 grains of Bullseye. Wonder how .452 sized bullets will do jumping from the short case vs. regular .45 Colts? The short .45 Cowboy Special cases are only accurate enough for plinking, 2-1/2 to 3” at 25 yards....bah! May see if they work in somebody's loose Webley and give them away.

Cartridges left to right .45 Cowboy Special (.895” case), .45 Schofield rounds with Webley Mk.II and Saeco bullets in 1.109” case, .45 Colt with Saeco bullet in 1.285” case.

Attached Files

Chargar posted this 22 December 2012

Some folks feel they get better accuracy out of the AR case vis-a-vi the ACP case. That may be so, but it will be due to the variation of case length in the ACP case, whereas the AR case will headspace on the rim.

If you are careful in selecting ACP case of uniform length or trim a batch to length of the shortest case, any accuracy edge of the AR cases go away.

I turned off the back of a Ruger Blackhawk cylinder to use AR cases, but it really was not worth the effort. The new smaller flatop 45 also have a smaller cylinder and you will have to pocket mill a recess if you want to use AR cases as you can't turn the back of the cylinder without removing part of the ratchet..not good.;}

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 22 December 2012

Regarding Pachmayr grips for the New Vaquero (small grip frame) - Colt SAA grips fit pretty well. Not perfect, but ok. I have these on my two flattop .44 Specials and the new Anniversary .44 Magnum flattop. Keep in mind that the Colt grips are “out of print” too, but there seems to be NIB available from a variety of sources. Of course, soon, those will dry up so suggest trying all of the places you can think of. I got mine off Ebay.

Dale53

Attached Files

oscarflytyer posted this 24 December 2012

Ed

Exact same gun.  Can't get mine to shoot bad.  Got the cheap 255 grn Lee die just to get started.  Thing likes it so well - w/ variety of powders/loads - that I haven't looked at anything else.  Also did not bother to slug the cylinders/bore since the Lee did so well.  Figured I would have to, but results were good enough not to bother.

Unsized WW + 2% tin, 45/45/10 lube.  New Starline brass.  I don't normally do this - usually use used/mixed/fired brass, but had nothing in 45 Colt.

It will also shoot MiHec's 200 gr LSWC in front of 5 grns bullseye well too.  45/45/10, sized .452, mixed multi-fired/2nd hand cases w/ no special treatment...

Not going to attempt to post load data tonight for the 45 Colt.  if you are interested, let me know and be happy to share.

There is also a guy who makes some awesome Claro Walnut grips.  He cut mine to my custom specs.  $55 shipped.  Am VERY happy with them.  Glad to share that info as well.  Can also post some pix if interested.

And I have it's sister gun as well - Same thing in 44 SPC.  Same grips too.  They are a load of fun!

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 24 December 2012

Ed; Regarding accuracy with Cowboy Special brass in the .45 Colt cylinder:

My .45 ACP cylinder will allow me to load and shoot .45 Cowboy Special brass. It works quite well and I can roll crimp with heavier bullets (NOE version of the Lyman 454424 250 gr bullet). If you already have the brass this may be viable.

I suspect that use of Cowboy Special brass may depend on the individual Ruger. Headspace in my gun is close but not a problem. It could be a problem in individual revolvers.

You might ask why I would want to do this. Well, I already had the Cowboy Special brass and it seemed like a good idea(:>)).

YMMV Dale53

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 26 December 2012

Dale,

The Cowboy brass will not fit in my ACP cylinder.

I got some to try, which I am using with the 265-gr. Webley hollowbased Mk.II bullet in my Colt New Service.

FYI also re the Pachmayr grips, they are now made by Lyman, the ones Midway sent fit fine, the bubble pack insert size “RB” Part no. 03137 stating this grip fits all Ruger New Model Blackhawk Revolvers.

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 26 December 2012

I used a lot of acp brass in my old convertible Blackhawk. I had no trouble but I did need to watch the crimps and not leave too much shoulder exposed.

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 26 December 2012

Good to see you enjoying the New Model Blackhawk, Mr. Harris! I like them.

Attached Files

locksmith1 posted this 20 February 2013

I have a Blackhawk .45 convertible. Great gun!I had a large supply of 45acp cases and no 1911 to use them in & liked the 45 Colt too. It is the ideal gun for me. Shoot light loads in the acp & heavy ones in Colt cylinder. Bob

Attached Files

mckg posted this 28 February 2013

I bought a regular 5.25 Blackhawk convertible a while ago, used but with just slight rotation marks on the Colt cylinder.

The idea was to get ALL my ACP brass back after shooting... I inadvertently solved that problem by changing “range day". I now shoot with literate gentlemen who can read headstamps and primers :).

It has the slim plastic grips which look really good too. I thought they would be more directional than the wooden ones... unfortunately their most noticeable feat is to not stand in the way of the frame during recoil. I had totally forgotten how these guns kicked... Wrapping my pinky under the grip is the solution, at least in .45 Auto.

I was toying with the Cowboy brass idea; the objective was to find a case I could use in my 1917 New Service too, with little modifications... I never thought that .455 brass would work in the Ruger with its captive firing pin... Thanks for the tip.

BTW, the gun shot really low in ACP, with 200grs bullets; I was afraid to run out of threads with the sight's screw...

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 28 February 2013

The 265-grain .455 Webley Mk.II bullet with 4 grains of Bullseye works well in .45 ACP revolvers, too long OAL to fit in an M1911, easy to keep separate. Also works fine in Schofield brass with 5 grains of Bullseye in the .45 Colt.

Bullets left to right Saeco #954 230-grain, #955 260-grain, Webley Mk.II 265-grain.

Cartridges left to right .45 Cowboy with Mk.II Webley bullet, .45 Schofield with Mk.II Webley bullet, Schofield with Saeco#954, .45 Colt with Saeco #954

Attached Files

rojkoh posted this 11 April 2013

Nice!I used to have a 3 screw Blackhawk for the cowboy matches, Sadly a “friend” permanently borrowed it. Nicest Blackhawk I've ever known of except for a .357/44 mag conversion done by a gunsmith. Never shot anything over .44spl in it once it cracks a cylinder with a 44 mag load (and changed the cylinder).

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 12 April 2013

Have put the .45 Colt cylinder away for now and have started fooling with the .45 ACP cylinder.

First thing I noted was that chambers are so tight that Winchester 230 JHP factory rounds will not go far enough into the chambers to rotate the cylinder past the loading gate!

No problems with Federal 230 HydraShoks or Remington 230 grain Golden Sabres.

H&G68s which rojkoh loaded for his M1911A1 National Match pistol won't go in either, nor will my handloads with Saeco #954 Cowboy bullets which I use with full moons in my S&W 625 or S&W 3rd Model Hand Ejector Model of 1950 Military.

Seating the Cowboy bullet handloads so that the crimp groove is no longer visible, and taper crimping to .470” mouth diameter they will go in, but the as-cast, unsized bullets forced through the Lee Factory Crimp Die do not shoot as well as I would like and rojko chastised me, showing me lead shavings in the chambers when cleaning the cylinder! Oops!

Eyeballing the chambers the entrance to the cylinder throats had a distinct sharp edge where it transitions from the case mouth to the ball seat. This caused marking of bullets and can clearly be seen in the photo examples.

Measuring marked bullets on rounds which did not go in up close to the chamber mouth, the cylinder throat opening is closer to .451 than .452 and all six chambers are tighter at the chamber mouth than farther up the ball seat where a wire edge was turned up by the chambering reamer.

I decided to lap the burr out of the chamber mouths by hand instead of firing a bunch of expensive jacketed loads, as I might have been tempted to do. This would let me control the process and hand lapping vs. reaming would be more difficult to screw up!

A .30-'06 case just turns out to be of just the right diameter, with enough length to grab, turn, align and control, with a gentle taper so that you can coat it with 600 grit lapping compound, grasp in a hand drill, then carefully polish the leade entrance of the ball seat ahead of the chamber, without touching anything else. In the other photo below you can see the polished section of a lapped chamber throat where the blue is now gone for a short distance.

After some cautious cut & try, by visual examination I could clearly see the mirror-polished angle where the lap had been working, the wire-edged burr caused by the chambering reamer was also gone. I repeated the process around all six chambers, 100 turns total, 20 turns, back off, recoat the lap, insert again, repeat, repeat, wipe, inspect.

About an hour later by eye ball all six lapped chambers looked the same. So, I took six lubed, as-cast .455 Webley Mk2 bullets, dropped them into the rear ends of the chambers and drove them with a brass drift in until the bullet noses were all flush with the front of the cylinder, tapped them back out and measured them.

The origin immediately ahead of the case months measured uniformly .452, without any mouth constriction or burrs, and the original ball seat measured one diameter ahead remained unchanged at .4515". Time to load more test rounds and go to the range.

STAY TUNED!

Attached Files

rojkoh posted this 12 April 2013

Ed Harris wrote: Have put the .45 Colt cylinder away for now and have started fooling with the .45 ACP cylinder.

First thing I noted was that chambers are so tight that Winchester 230 JHP factory rounds will not go far enough into the chambers to rotate the cylinder past the loading gate!

No problems with Federal 230 HydraShoks or Remington 230 grain Golden Sabres.

H&G68s which rojkoh loaded for his M1911A1 National Match pistol won't go in either, nor will my handloads with Saeco #954 Cowboy bullets which I use with full moons in my S&W 625 or S&W 3rd Model Hand Ejector Model of 1950 Military.

Nor will the Winchester HPs I tried in it. Seating depth on the H&Gs varied from 1.258 to 1.248 for the Para-ord given some of those * H&Gs we first tried. (YUK)

Besides, those H&Gs were loaded with (eek!) 231 :P

Check the Nosler reloading book, 231 is noted for “The most accurate powder". :P

Attached Files

mckg posted this 12 April 2013

Ed, Thanks for the tutorial about chamfering. BTW, I think the LEE Factory Crimp Die effectively resize your bullets in order to make the “brass” fit.

When I received my gun I suddenly (sic) remembered about cylinder chambers in auto rounds: sharp edges and diameters...

"Thankfully” my Norincos 1911 hardly have any throating and their short ammo chambered in the Blackhawk (the cylindrical part of the bullets is hidden in the brass), so I kept the same dies settings.

Then I was afraid that the chambers edge would peel lead and alox and cause leading. I resized with the only die I have here (.4525) and hand lubed. I ended up with a bit of leading and blamed my home made lube and LEE's tiny lube groove (452-200-RF).

before the third session, I ran out of time and patience and loaded mostly unsized bullets, lubed with Liquid Alox. After all if they didn't work in the wheel gun the 1911's would take them. The result was only a little leading in the forcing cone (might have been there before), zero in the bore and apparently zero shaving; accuracy was very good. Puzzling, but I'll take that :).

I don't have measuring tools here, but I know that mold for dropping bullets around .4535; the cylinder throats are .452 or less.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 24 April 2013

Here are the results firing after having lapped the .45 ACP chambers. Standard IPSC wadcutter load, H&G68 off-the-shelf commercial hard cast .452” of 92-6-2 alloy and blue lube loaded with 4.5 grains Bullseye, OAL 1.250” taper crimped to .470.” Velocity chronographed 863 fps, five consecutive 6-shot groups at 25 yards fired from sandbags. Average is 1.66". If you can't read the group sizes written on the targets they are: 1.6, 1.8, 1.8, 1.6, and 1.5 and these are SIX shot groups, excluding nothing.

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 24 April 2013

Ed; It looks like your hard work (lapping the charge holes) has paid off. For general range use of my Bisley convertible, the .45 ACP meets my needs. If I still hunted deer, then, of course, I would load up .45 Colt brass with my Mihec copy of the RCBS 45-270-SAA full charge and have at it with perfect confidence that it would do the job.

http://s269.photobucket.com/user/Dale53/media/LoadedRounds45-270-SAA-3735.jpg.html>

Attached Files

rojkoh posted this 24 April 2013

Nice looking bullet, how does the Ogive check against Hardball?

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 25 April 2013

rojkoh; I don't really understand your question. That particular bullet is from a mould by Mihec (MP Molds)that is a copy of the RCBS 45-270-SAA and is a SWC similar to a Keith (but designed by Dave Scoville) that weighs 285 grs solid in my alloy and about 270 grs hollow pointed:

http://s269.photobucket.com/user/Dale53/media/MiHecCramerStyleBulletMould-3207-1.jpg.html>http://s269.photobucket.com/user/Dale53/media/MiHecCramerStyleBulletMould-3205.jpg.html>

Attached Files

rmrix posted this 25 April 2013

Dale53, Thank you for taking the time to put up the picture. It shows the detail of a very well thought out mould. I have not seen one before.  I assume it is as well made as it looks or you would not have posted the pic.

Now I want one.......

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 26 April 2013

Double post...

Dale53

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 26 April 2013

rmrix; I have several of the two cavity brass Cramer style moulds. They work as well as they look. I also have companion moulds (four cavity brass for solids). I am a certified “Old Fart” and with the extra manipulation required for the hollow point moulds, I find the two cavities work best for me (Mihec also makes those in four cavities). However, that is a bit much weight for me when having to manipulate them in hollow point form. On the other hand, four cavity brass works just fine for me in solid form.

Mihec also makes six cavity aluminum moulds. My copy of the H&G #68 casts beautifully. When I first got it, I ran it until it was properly up to heat and casting well. I set aside one mould full of bullets (one from each of the six cavities) and after I finished up I measured and weighed them. With a good Mitutoyo micrometer, they only varied in diameter .ooo2 (two tenths of a thousandth). They varied in weight only .2 of a grain. Previously, I had NEVER seen such uniformity, and I have moulds by all of the popular brands including original H&G moulds.

FWIW Dale53

Attached Files

rojkoh posted this 26 April 2013

Dale53 wrote: rmrix; I have several of the two cavity brass Cramer style moulds. They work as well as they look. I also have companion moulds (four cavity brass for solids). I am a certified “Old Fart” and with the extra manipulation required for the hollow point moulds, I find the two cavities work best for me (Mihec also makes those in four cavities). However, that is a bit much weight for me when having to manipulate them in hollow point form. On the other hand, four cavity brass works just fine for me in solid form.

Thanx Dale, sorry haven't had time to get back to you. THose bullets sure look interesting. Oh ED!

From another of us 2 “Old farts”)

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 10 May 2013

FYI for anyone interested, did some side-by-side on the same day velocity comparisons with Alliant Bullseye vs. Winchester Super Target (WST) in the .45 ACP. These are all averages of 10-shot strings.

Powder supplies being meager, sometimes you have to use what you can get. I have plenty of Bullseye, but people have asked me about WST and having no experience with it, decided to give it a try. There is a little data on it on the Hodgdon web site and in the current Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, but little else.

Bullet-WtGrsLDRotorPdrChg.Ruger4-5/8"__Marlin22"

H&G68-200SWC#8,4.5BE821,Sd9,ES531000,Sd15,ES59 - BEST, most accurate load! Saeco954-230FN#8,4.5BE817,Sd16,ES42__982,Sd6,ES18

H&G68-200SWC#9,5.0BE_922, Sd19,ES421105,Sd12,ES36 also very accurate! Saeco954-230FN#9,5.0BE872,Sd13,ES38_1047,Sd6,ES19

H&G68-200SWC#9,4.5WST777,Sd27,ES80944, Sd14,ES43 Saeco954-230FN#94.5WST758,Sd15,ES40__889,Sd24,ES55

H&G68-200SWC#104.8WST838,Sd19,ES50990, Sd13,ES44 Saeco954-230FN#10*"*847,Sd5,ES12__940,Sd11,ES24

*Rotor #10 is the actual weight check average of ten weighed charges, which establishes the max., charge not to be exceeded in Hodgdon data with 230-gr. bullet. Other rotors are “nominal” per the RCBS Little Dandy Measure charge table.

Attached Files

Gene posted this 18 June 2013

I got one the other day, however mine is not a flattop. I've run a couple hundred rds thru the 45 ACP cylinder. My chamber throats are tight, also. I'm having to get used to shooting a SA as I usually shoot DA. It leads just a little at the FC, but I believe that's because of the tight cylinder throats.
Gene

Attached Files

rojkoh posted this 18 June 2013

Attached Files

rojkoh posted this 18 June 2013

Gene wrote: I got one the other day, however mine is not a flattop. I've run a couple hundred rds thru the 45 ACP cylinder. My chamber throats are tight, also. I'm having to get used to shooting a SA as I usually shoot DA. It leads just a little at the FC, but I believe that's because of the tight cylinder throats.
Gene

Note: burns dirty but not quite as Bullseye does and sometimes doesn't get full ignition of the power when shot in the 1911.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 19 June 2013

Agree with rojkoh,

If WST was the only powder I could get and it meant shooting or not I would use it, but new Alliant Bullseye or W231 are better.

If shooting in the Ruger Blackhawk only and no risk of putting it by accident into an M1911 an “unmentionable” charge of #2400, nominal “caseful without compression” with 240-gr. bullet gives 1000 fps in the 4-5/8” Blackhawk and 1250 in the converted Marlin lever-action....

Attached Files

rojkoh posted this 19 June 2013

Ed Harris wrote: Agree with rojkoh,

If WST was the only powder I could get and it meant shooting or not I would use it, but new Alliant Bullseye or W231 are better.

If shooting in the Ruger Blackhawk only and no risk of putting it by accident into an M1911 an “unmentionable” charge of #2400, nominal “caseful without compression” with 240-gr. bullet gives 1000 fps in the 4-5/8” Blackhawk and 1250 in the converted Marlin lever-action....

Dude! Keep the rounds loaded with 2400 to yourself! :shock:

No tengo bulged Barrels/slide/frames. ;)

Attached Files

Chargar posted this 19 June 2013

I have used 2400 in the 45 Auto Rim case in a good 25 and 625 and it work well, if you want and need something that peppy.

Attached Files

rojkoh posted this 19 June 2013

OK I guess it's time to stop kidding.

Attached Files

Close