2013 Military Match Schedule

• 7.7K Views
  • Last Post 06 December 2013
CB posted this 11 December 2012

2013 Military Match Schedule

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
delmarskid1 posted this 11 December 2012

A match in Cheddarland? Well I'll be dipped in Huber's and manure!

Attached Files

Wally Enga posted this 11 December 2012

delmarskid1 wrote: A match in Cheddarland? Well I'll be dipped in Huber's and manure!

;) Yep --- it's great to see that the VanDyne range is going to hold the first CBA Military Rifle matches in Wis. I have't ever shot at VanDyne but back in my NRA Hi-Power days, I shot in quite a few matches at LaCrosse, Eau Claire and Lodi --- fun times.

John Huber shot in the Military Nationals at Hawkeye a few years back --- even gave some of his triggers as door prizes, one of the good guys.

Wally

Attached Files

fa38 posted this 11 December 2012

delmarskid1 wrote: A match in Cheddarland? Well I'll be dipped in Huber's and manure!

I don't know about the beer but we can sure accommodate you with the manure.  We have more than our share of large tank trucks hauling the stuff thru town.

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 12 December 2012

My brother and I used to throw it at each other when we cleaned the barn. Good country fun. I hope that I can make it to a couple of matches. Iowa is probably just as near but they don't speak Cheese Latin doncha know.

Attached Files

fa38 posted this 16 December 2012

If there is anyone else shooting old military rifles down there bring them along.

We have 12 benches at 100 and 12 at 200 yards, covered firing line, and a range house just behind the firing line with space for loading and two rest rooms.

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 17 December 2012

We'll see what we can do.

Attached Files

billglaze posted this 19 November 2013

Just for the fun of it, yesterday I took one of my match-prepped M1's to the range, with a load I used to use for practice, with the Lyman 311284, which, as far as I can tell, was a favorite of the late Frank Marshall's. I've never gotten much out of the bullet, except in the M1 or M1A. So, stock National Match sights and all, off the bench even with my eyesight, at 100 yards, I got a 1-1/8” group. Needless to say, I would like to enter a military cast bullet match, but there doesn't seem to be anything around North Carolina. Anybody know any different? Bill

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is. My fate is not entirely in Gods hands, if I have a weapon in mine.

Attached Files

pat i. posted this 19 November 2013

Bill I didn't see anything even remotely close to you but have you ever considered starting one of your own? Matches aren't hard to start and run and maybe you'd draw a crowd since you'd be the only game in town. There's plenty of match directors and members who'd be more than happy to help get you started.

Attached Files

billglaze posted this 20 November 2013

Pat, here's the problem: The club to which I belong, has 1200 members. The club is primarily a shotgun club; there is little emphasis on rifle shooting; once a month, during the season, there is a hunter's benchrest rifle match held. That's it. I've only met 3 other folks that even cast bullets; those are for pistol. Insofar as I know, nobody else even casts bullets in rifles; I've never seen anyone else doing so. The only other person I know who has even shot cast in rifles, is a friend of mine who used to shoot a .416 Rigby (!) but he bought the bullets ready-to-shoot. The only other military-type rifles I've even seen at the range are the ubiquitous AR-15 types. (UGH) So, as of now, I'm the lone ranger. I'd like to see if anybody else might be interested, but, typically, I bought some 70 pounds of wheel weights from a man who decided, after collecting this lead, that “it costs hundreds of dollars to get into casting, and it just wasn't worth it." His mind was made up, and he wasn't about to listen to me. Sorry if it sounds as if I'm venting, but it is what it is, and I don't know what I can do about it. I'd be happy to find even one guy that is as enthusiastic about shooting cast as I am, but so far.............

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is. My fate is not entirely in Gods hands, if I have a weapon in mine.

Attached Files

muley posted this 20 November 2013

Hello Billglaze, You are heading in the right direction shooting. don"t be discourged. Contact HL Yarbourgh the  CBA regional director, in Rock Hill, S.C. his phone number is in the Fouling Shot. I believe he would give you some good help.

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 20 November 2013

billglaze:

I know it's tough to get something new started. I know, have been there in the past. But with that many members, it would be interesting to find out if there aren't some that would show an interest. If your range is set up so that it would accommodate a military cast match, I would urge you to try and find out.

I live about six miles from my home range. We have a dandy covered pistol and 100 yd rifle range with benches that would work fine for cast matches. But the 200 yrd side is set up for the snooty HP shooters with no benches. Difficult to change some mindsets. So that kind of limits things.

There are several hundred members and I know that there are some cast shooters among them. I am also finding more and more shooters all the time at the range who have or are shooting old military rifles. I have thought that if the range was set up differently, I would give the idea of cast military matches a go, just to see what happens. Ya never know.

RD

Attached Files

fa38 posted this 20 November 2013

I posted a notice on the bulletin board at our club to get our matches started.

I have given to three different people about 500 bullets total and so far only one has shown up to shoot. 

One of them is my son-in-law, he shoots.

Another since I have given him bullets to shoot wants me to show him how to cast bullets.  He has not shot at a match yet but will probably do so in 2014. He has purchased a pot and other items for cast bullets.

The third person does not want to cast his own bullets but wants to buy them from me.  He asked me what I would charge for a thousand bullets ready to shoot. I am not willing to do that.  I am still working on him to get him to cast his own and I would show him how to cast bullets.

It may take a bit of work but it can be done.

I did have the advantage of having two of the shooters already members of the CBA and three of the shooters joined the CBA. 

Attached Files

frnkeore posted this 20 November 2013

Regarding starting a cast bullet club.

I started the Jefferson State Schuetzen Society in 1986, almost cold turkey. I only had one friend that was interested enough to build a rifle and he lived 60 miles away. Single shots are much more expensive to start shooting with and that made it harder.

The way I did it, was to go to every gun show in my general area. I would talk to anyone that would lesson to me :)

I told them that I held matches once a month (my friend and I) and I would help them in anyway possible. I even offered to supply all equipment and loading componants (no takers).

By doing that, what I did find is a two people that lived in my area but, shoot outside of it, because there were no matches here. I also found two that had enough interest to by a rifle, to build a target rifle.

Within a year and a half, I had six shooters. After 27 years, we still only have 10 shooters, they come and go over the years and the rifles are much more expensive to build than ever.

After joining CBA in '88, I scanned the match results for people that also lived in my area or within 100 miles, you could do that by joining ASSRA and looking on the ISSA web site. Though most ISSA shooters are West of the Rocky's

Frank

Attached Files

billglaze posted this 22 November 2013

What I'm going to do is have a squib put in the club newsletter and shake the tree that way. It goes out to 1200 members. If I could get even a few people who are interested together it would be a start.

Attached Files

LWesthoff posted this 22 November 2013

Bill:

In the meantime, you can have plenty of fun shooting the CBA Postal Matches. You need to join if you're not already a member. The 2014 Match Bulletin should be out pretty soon, and you can shoot against MR shooters from all over the country - maybe all over the world - and do it right on your home range.

Wes

Attached Files

MKastning posted this 22 November 2013

Bill, I would be happy to send you a postal guide once I get the 2014's printed up. Or can email you one to print. Toss me a message with your contact information if I can help with either. If you get interest at your club, it is not uncommon for several shooters to shoot their postal matches together as well.

Attached Files

billglaze posted this 25 November 2013

I would be very highly interested in knowing more about the postal matches. It would seem to be the venue most available in my particular case. The rifle I would be using is an M1 Garand originally built by Springfield Armory during WW 2, and it has been match prepped by Sr. Master Chief Petty Officer Don McCoy, former Master Armorer for the Navy Team. Great guy, and truly is a Chief with the M1. Really fun to shoot. email is: [email protected] Highly interested in hearing from you.

Bill

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 02 December 2013

Check out the CBA website. It's got all the postal match info you need to get started. That Garand sounds pretty nice-any chance of a picture? We love pictures.

Attached Files

billglaze posted this 06 December 2013

I'd be glad to post a picture of the M1, if I knew how. I've never really had a reason to do so, I assume it's not difficult. I just got back from the range, and discovered that the rifle seems to love the Lyman 311334. I fired a few shots off the bench, and the results were astonishing to me; as good or better than my heavy-barrel match rifles.I gotta follow up when the weather cooperates.

Attached Files

Close