9.3x57 Mauser

• Last Post 2 weeks ago
longhunter posted this 3 weeks ago

I am in the process of getting a 9.3x57 Mauser.  I read  the article in the blog.  It is a help and will get me started.

Does anyone have casting and reloading experience with this cartage?

Thanks in advance.

Jon

Jon Welda CW5 USA Ret.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Wilderness posted this 3 weeks ago

Jon: I loaded for a 9x56 MS, so some info may work with adjustment.

I used Lyman #3589HP (.360"x 260 gns) with 40 gns 3031. Groups were about 1.25" for 5 shots at 50 meters. Velocity from 17.7" barrel was 1925 fps.

The 9.3x57, with same bullet weight at same velocity, would require a little more powder. Think .32 Special versus .30-30.

My barrel was .353" and the long throat had a .359" entrance. My MS shot well with .360" cast bullets, but indifferently with .354". You join the dots for your rifle,

I have also paper patched #3589HP (no gas checks) for a friend with a couple of 9.3x62s. He reported good results from one rifle and less so from the other.

Cast Bullet Engineering (Australia) makes 9.3 moulds in several designs.

Attached Files

longhunter posted this 3 weeks ago

Thanks Wilderness.  I didn't think about paper patching.  The Velocity is about what I'm looking for. i'll give it a try

Thanks,

Jon

Jon Welda CW5 USA Ret.

Attached Files

mashburn posted this 2 weeks ago

That is on caliber that I've always wanted to play with but never had the good fortune of owning one. Congratulations and good luck.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

kootne posted this 2 weeks ago

I have a Husqvarna model 46 in 9.3x57. I have a lot of jacketed bullets and don't shoot it much. A shot or 2 a year in hunting season so I haven't went down the cast bullet road. I do think there may be a lot of potential there considering the velocity of a jacketed bullet should be rather easily obtained with cast. I'm mostly posting to say the dies I have, Hornaday, excessively resize the case neck and I would not get another set of those dies if that how they are all made. I am planning to lap out that neck if I ever run out of factory loaded shells. Just a heads up to check if you buy Hornaday brand 9.3x57 dies.

Dennis

Attached Files

longhunter posted this 2 weeks ago

kootne,

Thanks for the heads up.  The rifle came with Hornady dies, so I sure will be looking at the over exercising of the case neck.  A lot of times I don't resize cases for use with cast bullets.

Thanks,

Jon

Jon Welda CW5 USA Ret.

Attached Files

Close