Companion side arm ?

• 2.5K Views
  • Last Post 28 October 2012
adrians posted this 26 July 2012

Morning fellows and ladies.

quick question ........

My Marlin 1894 in 32-20 thinks it needs a companion handgun of same vintage (1901 or there abouts give or take a few ,,,,,,)

any suggestions?

i thank you in advance...:fire

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 26 July 2012

From that vintage, I would suggest a Colt Army Special: stronger than the early S&W Hand Ejectors, or Colt New Police Specials and 1/10th the price of a Colt Single Action Army or Bisley. FWIW, Ric

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 26 July 2012

I agree with Ric. Army Special is also more easily repaired because Colt Official Police parts are common and can be fitted easily. The Army Special is mechanically the same as the OP, just constructed of mild steel and not heat treated as were the post-1928 revolvers.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 26 July 2012

This is not exactly what the O.P. has requested but is certainly a viable option:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=298098856

It is a convertible, is built on the supremely strong Black Hawk platform, is made of modern materials and truly satisfactory as a “using” revolver in every way. When reloaded, it will provide EVERYTHING that one might hope for in a 32/20 revolver. It has adjustable sights so, for those who actually want to hit something, will enable a person to do so.

The only downside I can see, for me at least, it is a bit large and long for easy packing (but that is easily handled with a cross draw holster).

Just a thought or two...

Dale53

Attached Files

adrians posted this 27 July 2012

Thanks a bunch gentlemen i now have something to go on  .

i'll start looking around ( under the wifes radar ofcourse B) ) for sometting.

Dale53   thats purty...:D .

Attached Files

rjmeyer314 posted this 08 October 2012

Dale53,

I have a similar aetup: a Marlin Model 1889 in 32-20, and both a Ruger Buckeye 32-20/32 H&R convertible and a Colt Police Positive Special in 32-20. Unfortunately the guns all prefer different loads. I prefer carrying the Colt because it's a lot smaller and lighter. I had planned that the Ruger 32-20 was going to be my regular carry gun when wandering on my farm. In practice I've found I carry something else because the Ruger is much heavier than needed for the caliber. If I'm going to carry something that weighs that much I'll carry my Ruger 30 carbine Blackhawk.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 08 October 2012

The .32 H&R Magnum Single Six is ideal for a companion revolver, if you can find one.

Unfortunately, it isn't a .32-20, if you are really committed to that caliber. I used to be 30 years ago, but am no longer. The HRM will do everything that the .32-20 does, more easily and more accurately. That was the reason I went firmly into the .32 S&W Long and .32 HRM direction on my revolvers and Bunny Guns and sold my .32-20s years ago. I have never regretted doing so and haven't looked back.

Post-WWII Colt D frames in .32 Colt New Police and the S&W Models 30 and 31 can handle heavier .32 S&W Long loads up to 3 grains of Bullseye with the RCBS 32-90CM or Saeco #325 giving 900 fps from a 4 inch barrel. My hollow-pointed Saeco #325 weighs 93 grains in 1:25 alloy and performs like a miniature version of the .38 Special lead “FBI load” scaled to Bunny Wabbit proportions.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

45ACPete posted this 08 October 2012

I wanted a companion piece for my '94 32-20 and luckily found a Smith & Wesson M&P in that caliber with a 5” barrel. Works for me.

Attached Files

JimmyDee posted this 08 October 2012

I have three or four old 32-20 revolvers and purposefully avoid rifles in the same caliber because my revolvers are shooting ~700fps loads.  Those are lower pressures than can be used in rifles and I don't want to loosen-up an old revolver by feeding it high- pressure loads.

But if you buy a Ruger as Dale suggests, you would have to worry about the rifle!

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 09 October 2012

"       I have three or four old 32-20 revolvers and purposefully avoid rifles in the same caliber because my revolvers are shooting ~700fps loads.  Those are lower pressures than can be used in rifles and I don't want to loosen-up an old revolver by feeding it high- pressure loads.   “

???????????? don't  underestimate the efficacy (g) of a large meplat 312 bullet at ....900 ?  fps load out of a rifle length barrel.... of course, now, if your rifle is a self-loader .......  (g)  ken

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 09 October 2012

Agree. A load which gives 900 fps from a rifle gives 30 inches of water penetration, and 750 from a revolver with 20” water penetration. Fully adequate for game animals and varmints to 50-lbs.

Attached Files

JimmyDee posted this 10 October 2012

Well, sure, the cartridge can be effective.  Even cowboy loads, at short range.

But the 32-20 can be loaded to well over twice that speed; I do not want to risk running those higher-pressure loads through an old revolver.

Attached Files

Chargar posted this 28 October 2012

I have a Colt Army Special and a Smith and Wesson M&P in 32-20 and would not want to choose between the two. The Smith is one of the later ones with heat treated cylinder.

I have a pretty good supply of Smith Victory Model internals, should I ever need them to fix the old SMith and Wesson. But, I have a dozen or so pre-war K and N frame Smiths and have had a score more over the years and have never needed to fix one. I guess there is always the first time.

I might say, that I dont' buy junk guns, and don't abuse them while they are in my fleet.

Attached Files

Close