Cast bullet storage..?

• 2.5K Views
  • Last Post 02 July 2012
The Black Spot posted this 29 June 2012

Just wondering what people store their lubed bullets in

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
hrafknel posted this 29 June 2012

Empty 22 RF Magnum plastic boxes will hold 50 .30 caliber cast bullets. The boxes are easy to find at most ranges.

Attached Files

LWesthoff posted this 29 June 2012

I don't lube my bullets 'til I'm ready to load them, but I store my unlubed, weight segregated .30 caliber bullets in those 100 round plastic .22 r.f. boxes. They will each hold 54 bullets and a piece of masking tape on the sliding lid shows the bullet type, weight and casting date.

Main reason I don't lube 'til I'm ready to load is I use Javelina (NRA formula) lube, and if the lubed bullets are stored touching each other, the lube sticks 'em together. Some of the harder lubes probably wouldn't have that problem, but I like Javelina.

Wes

Just occurred to me -  Black Spot my have been referring to pistol bullets.  When I was shooting Bullseye Pistol, I made a bunch of trays (1/8” plywood bottoms, 1/2” plywood strips for sides) that would each hold 500 cal. .45 bullets, stored base down.  Still got several of 'em.

Wes

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 29 June 2012

I have a bunch of these I got from Midway, they are my favorite for storing cast bullets, with good 36 cubic inch capacity, Measurements: <>2.407” Deep <>3.580” Wide <>3.789” Length <>36 Cubic Inch Capacity
and they stack well. I want more:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2124102446/frankford-arsenal-utility-box-ub-36-plastic-blue

$2.59 each and price breaks at 12 and 75

Gary

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 30 June 2012

I have these Kraft oval sort of plastic mayonaise containers I store them in !

Can usually get several hundred of any bullet I cast in a container . Think I have about 45 containers with variouse amounts and sizes of ready to load bullets as we speak !

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 30 June 2012

:coffee    For the most part, I use plastic coffee cans.  The lids snap back on and they usually are 2 or 3lb coffee containers.  I've rewashed a lot of containers for bullets, sometimes little cottage cheese containers become bullet trays, even potato salad containers that are clear and  oblong with a snap-on lid. 

I generally buy ammuntion boxes for loaded rounds but, I rarely buy a storage container for lubed cast bullets, seems too much like a waste of money to me.  Of course, some guys like to be further organized than what I consider reasonable.  Still, I see nothing wrong with having designated cast bullet containers of any kind, makes knowing what you have on hand possible.

Attached Files

4570sharps posted this 30 June 2012

Cigar boxes.

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 30 June 2012

I have been using Dollar Store plastic kitchen boxes for some time. Cigar boxes used to work for several cycles but I lost my source.

Here's my favorite type:

Attached Files

gnoahhh posted this 30 June 2012

I generate a lot of empty oatmeal canisters which always went in the trash. Then I hit on an idea. I cut them off 2” or so up from the bottom (I do it with a chop saw, but any means is ok so long as you effect a straight level cut), stack a pile of bullets in it, put the original lid back on. Presto! They stack nicely too.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 30 June 2012

I just use my empty coffee containers. I don't stack them, I just put them in there with reasonable care. Meaning I don't drop them in from 2 ft. up. But as far as stacking . . . don't go to that trouble.

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 30 June 2012

Plastic jars. Mayo or salad dressing are the largest. I just let them flop all over each other. Who cares, worse things happen to them when the powder lights up.

Attached Files

gunarea posted this 01 July 2012

Everything!!    The 22rf boxes mostly for cast 22s. Small boxes of all descriptions for rifle slugs from 6mm up. Empty spice bottles for round balls. The post office furnishes a great little box that is perfect for 58 cal minnie. Cigar boxes for nearly all handgun cast bullets. Spralmart sells a pencil box in school supply that fits 9mm and 10mm pretty good.     A bent piece of metal makes a nice angled carrier for projectile traffic going both directions. Removable stickers from one of the office stores makes it easy to inventory. Generally a layer or two of good quality duct tape can extend the life of a box substantially.    Too many years of anal hole punching (benchrest), for me to be able to simply dump projectiles into something. Each individual work of art is carefully hand stacked into neat little rows as they come from the lubrisizer and into their respective container.    I am always on the lookout for bullet holders.                                                                                                      Roy

Shoot often, Shoot well

Attached Files

gunarea posted this 01 July 2012

I haven't figgered out how to put up more than one picture per post yet.

Shoot often, Shoot well

Attached Files

The Black Spot posted this 01 July 2012

Some great ideas! Please keep em coming!

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 01 July 2012

gunarea wrote:    I haven't figgered out how to put up more than one picture per post yet.

After posting a picture, go back to your post & hit “edit” then post another. You can only do one at a time. Each time you want to post another you have to edit.

Pat R.

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 01 July 2012

hrafknel wrote: Empty 22 RF Magnum plastic boxes will hold 50 .30 caliber cast bullets. The boxes are easy to find at most ranges. Yeap, I use a lot of .17 HMR/.22mag plastic boxes.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

CB posted this 01 July 2012

My local indoor shooting range lets me have all the empty ammo boxes I want from their trash. For some reason, 9mm boxes work well for .357s, & 44/45 boxes work well for 44s & 45s. I used to swap bullets with other casters, and decided the ammo box route always got my bullets to the recipient safer than any other means.

Attached Files

Sonny Edmonds posted this 02 July 2012

Pigslayer wrote: I just use my empty coffee containers. I don't stack them, I just put them in there with reasonable care. Meaning I don't drop them in from 2 ft. up. But as far as stacking . . . don't go to that trouble. Dotto. I have my own favo-rite crock-pot lube that isn't sticky. Since I only specialize in 45 ACP and 30-06 now, storage isn't very specialized. :P

I like to have my bullets ready to load.

If it works, don't fix it.

Attached Files

Close