New spotting scope in my future

• 3.3K Views
  • Last Post 12 July 2013
RicinYakima posted this 27 June 2012

Well, this is my last day of work, retiring Friday. Also first day of new trifocals. The problem, I can't see with my old B&L spotting scopes (20X and 30X), not enough eye relief and with 60 MM lenes, they are too dark to see 30 caliber holes at 200 yards.

I have been hearing good things about Vortex 80MM spotting scopes. Is there any experience out there with this brand? Other reasonable suggestions? Remember, long eye relief!

Thanks,

Ric

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
docbob posted this 28 June 2012

Ric,

Congratulations on your retirement! Hope You have a long and happy life as a retiree and have the time to do all the things you want to. I think I'm more busy than when I was working.

Doc

Attached Files

99 Strajght posted this 28 June 2012

I have a Vortex 80mm spotting scope for about a year now. Good eye relief. I can see 30 cal bullet holes in white paper at 200 yd. but, if the holes are in the black sometime they are a little hard to see. Bright sun is ok but on dark cloudy days 30 cal. holes, in the black, sometimes it is hard to see. I can see best at about 45 power.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 28 June 2012

Thanks, I'm already working on the “Honey do” list on the first day!

Thanks for the report. That is what I expected to hear; hard to see at 200 yards.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 28 June 2012

Ric,

I hope your retirement is as pleasant as mine has been.

I too wanted one that I could use with glasses and bought a Nikon Prostaff 16-48X65 which is usable with glasses but not perfect (field is reduced at least with my glasses.)

It has great resolution but although I just bought it this year it has already been replaced by another Prostaff model called 16-48X60 which is different- better or worse???

Since I can reliably see 22 bullet holes at 200 yards even in the very late afternoon with my 36X40 Weaver Riflescope unless mirage is bad, I am skeptical that a huge objective lens is necessarily the key. I hope someone who really knows something solid about optics chimes in on this discussion.

John

John

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 28 June 2012

John,

What I am looking for is resolution at about 25X that I can see with glasses. My old B&L 20X has one of the slip in and out focus eyepieces that has enough eye relief, but I can't see 30 caliber holes at 200 yards in the black. The B&L 30X has good enough resolution, but only when I have my eyeglass lens rubbing on the scope lens and then I see maybe 1/2 of the bullseye. I'd really like to find a long eye relief 25X lens for the B&L, but have not been successful for the last couple of years of looking. That is why I may have to replace them.

Ric

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 29 June 2012

i have been thinking for several years about a video camera near the target, and a ( 200 yards.. ) long cord to a laptop near the shooting bench ..

i believe the components are available, and probably cheaper than a high definition spotting optical scope.

i believe ....tigerdirect.com  ....carries security components....but i would consult a video guru before too deep into the project.   wireless could be an option ...

a security firm probably could install a system, but might be a budget buster.

a shooting buddy used to bring his unertle 100 mm  team spotter to our matches ...just to irritate me...wow!.... i offered him 1k for it but he ....laughed at me !

that is when i thought about a video system...   ken

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 29 June 2012

I have a Kowa 82mm (TSN-82SV) with a 25 power wide angle lens that I have been extremely happy with. I had no problems seeing .22's at 200 yards in the black.

I suggest you check it out before you buy to make sure it works for you.

Dale53

Attached Files

badammo posted this 20 June 2013

I also use a Kowa scope. It is a tsn-1 77 mm. Have a 25 wide and 60 power lenses for it. Most of the guys I shoot small bore and high power silhouette with use them.

Attached Files

olesmokey posted this 09 July 2013

I have been looking at the Leupold GoldRing 15-30x50mm Compact on their website. MSRP is $499 but Ive seen it retailing for as low as 399. I have their older cheaper Sequoia 15-45x60 and have resolution issues at 200 yds with 30 caliber holes on white paper. Their goldring stuff is much better optically.We use black targets for the CMP match at 200 yds. and some smart person came up with the idea of a white fabric draped at an angle behind the targets and low and behold we can see 22 cal. holes at that distance.

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 09 July 2013

I suspect Ric has already procured his spotting scope but the ones that allowed me to see holes in the black on rainy Puyallup mornings were a Nikon 15-45 power and an Alpen 20-60 power. Both would tell if the hole was touching or not quite touching the line on rainy mornings.

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 09 July 2013

I see that this old thread has restarted, so will add to it FWIW.

Seems that I'm not alone with the changing eyes. Ten yrs or so ago, I started shooting the BPCR out to 1000 yds and bought a Kowa TSN-821M with a 27X eye piece. And it was used for the CBA military matches as well. It worked just fine.

Up until a yr. ago or there abouts, life was good. Then strangely enough, when shooting at 200 with my Mauser, seeing the holes became almost impossible. I never could convince myself to spend the cash for a Kowa variable eye piece and then finding out that they are not available anymore for the 821-M even if I did want one, it was either quit shooting or buy another scope with a variably eye piece.

So, I ended up with a Konus 20x60-80 from Optics Planet. It was a relative inexpensive scope as scopes go but the optics and definition appear very good. At the CBA military Nationals we shot paper at three hundred yards on friday and Seeing 30 cal. holes was not a problem even with the rainy overcast sky.

RD

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 09 July 2013

Yes, I bought a scope in March. It is a Fujinon 20x60 and 80 MM objective. I took it to Iowa and shot the nationals with it. No problem with seeing holes at 200 at 30X even in the cloudy weather. Could not see the holes when the wind was blowing rain into lens on Sunday, but nobody else could either!

I got a good buy on it (as it had a cracked front lens cover) from a group of birdwatchers.

Attached Files

karl schmidt posted this 09 July 2013

Kowa has a 27x long eye relief eye piece for their scopes, works great for me

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 11 July 2013

Only a suggestion but . . . Have you been checked for cataracts? Two years ago I noticed that my vision simply wasn't what it had been even with corrective lenses. I went in for a eye exam & found that I had cataracts in both eyes! I freaked. Now mind you I was extremely near sighted! I had cataract surgery in both eyes and couldn't be happier! My vision is razor sharp and the eyeglass restriction has been taken off my drivers license. I do wear glasses but only for astigmatism correction. My vision is 20/17 now. No more glare from oncoming headlights at night & far away road signs are clear.

Pat

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 12 July 2013

Pat,

Yep, got yellow cataracts forming, scared corneas from 28 years of fighting fires, and old age. This has been coming on for about 5 years, and I am prepared for it. My wife had both eyes done, and could not be happier!

Ric

Attached Files

LWesthoff posted this 12 July 2013

Ric:

I've had cataract surgery on both eyes; left one March 2007 and right one August 2008. Both were lens implants, because it's my understanding that the laser surgery cannot be corrected or repeated if anything goes wrong. Because I shoot, I went for distance correction on both eyes, and I wear bifocals for reading and close work. I still have a very slight astigmatism; the distance correction just sharpens things up a little - I don't really need it. Like your wife and others who've contributed, I'm more than pleased.

To top it off, I went in for a routine eye check this week, and the Doc said I'm 20-20 for distance and better than 20-20 for close work with my glasses on.

The operation takes about 15 minutes; prepping takes longer than the surgery.

Wes

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 12 July 2013

After my Doc. discovered them several yrs. ago, I have since been in the “transition period” of sorts. Not bad enough to fix yet but deffinately there. They have been stable for quite a while now but I can “see” a change this past yr. So, I'm on the list. Hopefully, the short one.

RD

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 12 July 2013

RicinYakima wrote: Pat,

Yep, got yellow cataracts forming, scared corneas from 28 years of fighting fires, and old age. This has been coming on for about 5 years, and I am prepared for it. My wife had both eyes done, and could not be happier!

Ric

Git-R-Done! LOL,:shock:

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Close