mica substitute

• 15K Views
  • Last Post 11 September 2019
drsquat posted this 15 March 2007

what does anyone think about using  talcum powder applied to lube bullets to make them easier to handle?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Larry Gibson posted this 11 September 2019

Perhaps but I've been using GC'd bullets for that for years.....313631 or 311316 in the 32 H&R Magnum, 358156 in the 357 Magnum, 410610 in 41 Magnums, 429415, 429244 and 429640HP in 44 Magnums and 452490 in the 45 Colt.  Cast of 40, 30, 20 or 16-1 alloy those bullets can be pushed with excellent accuracy to as fast as the cartridge/firearm will safely allow. 

LMG

Concealment is not cover.........

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • TRKakaCatWhisperer
Brodie posted this 11 September 2019

Big Man 54;

If you heat treat your bullets or water drop them the time in a 400* oven will certainly soften them.  So what!  If they are hunting or defense loads they may expand.  If the bullets that have been Powder Coated (I hate the term PC, it sounds like some idiot on TV.) and don't lead and still give acceptable accuracy that seems fine with me.

Larry;

I haven't powder coated as yet, although I will try it eventually.  The only big advantage I can see in the process is that it could allow me to shoot a softer alloy at a higher velocity without leading for hunting purposes.

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Larry Gibson posted this 11 September 2019

While back a friend was touting the advantages of PC.  One main point he said it was faster and "cleaner".  So I said we should test that and he agreed.  I cast up 800 452-230-TCs and took them along with my 450 and a large cigar box with cardboard (from soda boxes)  dividers for different layers.  I figured we'd do 400 apiece for a good test.  I C clamped the 450 to his reloading bench and we started. 

It was interesting to watch the gyrations he went through putting goggle and a paint mask on, tumbling the bullets 50 at a time and laying them out on trays to dry a bit, then baking them, them water quenching them, then drying them, etc.  Long story short by the time he had 200 done I was done sizing, lubing and setting my 400 bullets in the cigar box (I only handled each bullet a very short time putting it into the 450 H&I and taking it out).  I then said we should go load them up and he mumbled something about he should let his age a bit longer since they were HT'd. 

I have run numerous tests of various PC and HT coated bullets from 22 caliber to 45 caliber.  Frankly they have shown me nothing..... Since I clean my guns after every use if they shoot cleaner it makes no difference.  I have not found any PC or HT coated bullet to prove more accurate than the same uncoated bullet sized and lubed with the same load.  I have found PC and HT coated bullets to foul and lead in various firearms with the same loads that the uncoated bullets did not.  I have found that PC and HT bullets when sized and lubed the same as uncoated bullets will shoot as well....but then why bother with PC or HT? 

Now I'm not telling or even suggesting that anyone stop using PC or HT coatings, If you like them by all means keep using them.  I don't like them and have not been impressed in the least with them either in any of the process to coat the bullets or the shooting results.  I keep watching what all the PC/HT guys are doing in case they come up with something useful in my cast bullet shooting but have not seen it yet.

LMG

Attached Files

ten-mile posted this 11 September 2019

You can get calcium stearate at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/HiMedia-GRM1667-500G-Calcium-Stearate-Pure/dp/B00DYO8Y34/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=calcium+stearate&qid=1568221622&s=industrial&sr=1-1

I don't think I want to use it in my 223 because of the calcium oxide that might deposit in my already small enough bore.  I have used lubes that leave a deposit of some kind of hard material that must be aggressively brushed out.  It might be ok in handgun loads.  Try some White Label Carnauba Blue.  Some of you other old guys might remember the fouling problems with early ball powders that used calcium carbonate as an acid neutralizer.

Attached Files

BigMan54 posted this 11 September 2019

Thats why I started Powder Coating bullets. Dumping them lose in a big plastic peanut butter jar is a lot easier then sticking them in trays. 

The WWL 45-45-10 is a good lube, easy to apply. I stand the bullets on their bases to dry on Wax paper. More trouble, but it gives the bullets a more even coat all the way around. 

Found out by accident that Cornstarch BP does a good job of removing the tackyness of TL.  Simply spilled it on the cookie sheet as I was in the middle of standing them on their bases. Don't ask.

But now I hear on another website that the act of PC'ing will actually soften bullets.  But I was cruising the reloading websites while I was under the influence of drugs after coming home from a "procedure" and

I CAN'T FIND THE BLASTED WEBSITE AGAIN !!!   

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

David Reiss posted this 10 September 2019

I agree with Larry, no heat is necessary for this lube. However I do understand the comment about being messy. Here in Texas it can be "quite tacky" and storing the bullets in bulk is not an option. This is what got me to start storing the lubed bullets in the Styrofoam ammo trays. It keeps the bullets from sticking to one another and pulling lube from one to the other. Handling is much easier when using this method of storage. 

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Larry Gibson posted this 10 September 2019

"Yes, just looking for a way to cut down on the mess. The lube i am using is Lyman Alox. With a Lyman 450 and a soldering iron attached for heat lol thanks"

Drsquat

I've used alox lubes (including the Lyman) since the late '60s and never found a need to use a heater on all the 450s I've used it in.  Even when I lived up north and it would get down into the 40s in my garage I never found a need for the heater with alox 50/50 type lubes.  I stack the sized/lubed bullets in boxes and haven't found them messy.  Years ago I tried the mica treatment and didn't see any improvement.  Suggest you try lubing them in the 450 w/o the heat.

LMG

Attached Files

max503 posted this 10 September 2019

So....It's ok to apply a thin dusting of motor mica to bullets coated with LLA?

Attached Files

Loren Barber posted this 22 November 2016

Calcium stearate. Witco Chemical Co makes many stearate salts like Lithium, sodium, zinc, iron etc. I have one pound research samples. The particle size can be very fine like corn starch. I use them for other things, but they should work very fine for detackification of your bullets

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 26 June 2011

Pure ground Mica is available from Midway USA in one pound tubs.   I use it sometimes, a teaspoon goes a long way.   This isn't necessarily motor mica but, reloading mica.

Attached Files

bandmiller2 posted this 26 June 2011

Talcum powder is soapstone ground fine,most of it is mined in Vermont and shipped to johnson&johnson in NJ.I know its abrasive in its natural state,not so bad pulverized,probibly grafite is the same. Frank C.

Attached Files

CB posted this 25 September 2008

I shoot Ranch Dog Bullets in Marlin, these are a special mold. They are to be lube with Alox or Xlox, use a Lee Sizer and then in a bowl tumble them with some of the Mica that Midway sells. I have noticed no problem with my bore after a couple hundred rounds.

Here what Michael recommends to do with bullets produced with his molds:

http://www.marlinowners.coms/index.php/topic,27078.0.html>http://www.marlinowners.coms/index.php/topic,27078.0.html

;}

Jerry

Attached Files

pascalp posted this 23 September 2008

mica, talcum and moly are dry lubricants, search for “tribology".

I use successfully talcum, neck lubricant and LLA coater.   

Attached Files

REDTAIL posted this 16 September 2008

where can i buy motor mica say a 2 lb can from other than midway usa does'nt any one else carry motor mica in larger quanites check out the web & could not find any companies that carry it , i would appreciate any help that other members have with a sorce of contact for motor mica thanks, brownells does not carry it

Attached Files

lv2tinker posted this 26 January 2008

Ed Harris wrote: Yup!  -  all correct.

I wasn't going to bore everyone with the details, just know that it works and you can buy it in at the drug store.  

Ed,

I went the Walgreens and ask for calcium stearate and they didn't have a clue what it was.

Where in the Drug Store/Department & what brand /product name should I look for in order to find this Calcium Stearate? Is this Soap?

Al 1-30-08

Checked with several Drug Stors in the Co. Springs area. When I asked them about Calcium Stearate they “all” got that 'deer in the headlights look' and said “say what?'

so I just bought a small can of Talcum Powder to use on my “stickey” boolets.

-al

Attached Files

CB posted this 30 March 2007

I did a dumb thing today! I read the directions on a can of Motor-Mica!

Directions: Under your own operating conditions...simply add Motor-Mica to your present lubricants, OR use dry for insured performance. AS AN ADDITIVE...use approximately 2oz. of product per lb. of lubricant. WHEN USED DRY...distribute product both evenly and lightly over specific area.

Advantages

<>Excels under all temperature and climatic conditions. <>Electrically non-conductive, non-static, non-pollutant <>Improves product and equipment life...reduces breakdowns. <>Exhibits a low co-efficient of friction...is non-toxic. <>It has no melting point ( it sublimates). <>Exhibits a natural affinity to metal inertness.Hey, this stuff sounds fantastic. I don't know why anyone would want a substitute for Mica? This has all the answers. It sounds so safe, I think I'll start dusting my pancakes with!..............Dan

Attached Files

CB posted this 29 March 2007

Yeah can I get a 03a3 with a side of 45/70 with gravy???

Attached Files

Maven wrote:   How about corn starch, as you can't beat it's price or availability?

Since it's a thickener maybe it'd be good for those big bored milsurps!!

( Just kidding :D)

Pat

Attached Files

Maven posted this 29 March 2007

O.K., So we now know that mica and talc may pose a bit of a risk.  How about corn starch, as you can't beat it's price or availability?

Attached Files

drsquat wrote: Yes, just looking for a way to cut down on the mess. The lube i am using is Lyman Alox. With a Lyman 450 and a soldering iron attached for heat lol thanks Drsquat Shouldn't really need heat on the lubesizer to make Alox flow so that should cut the mess a bit and wouldn't it just be simpler and less of a hassle to do as Jeff suggested and just go with a lube with the consistency more in line with what you want? Takes the question of what's abrasive and what's not right out of the picture that way and I'm sure you could find something that'll shoot just as well.

I'll be the first to admit that I have no idea what any of the products mentioned would do to a barrel but there's a pretty good chance lube alone wouldn't hurt anything so why risk it.

Pat

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close