Spanish Model 1916 Short Rifle in 7x57

• 5.1K Views
  • Last Post 16 June 2012
6pt-sika posted this 09 June 2012

I may have a chance to get a Spanish Mauser Model 1916 Short Rifle in 7x57 . I've not seen the rifle other then a single picture . And from what I saw it looked to be average to maybe a hair better on the outside with no idea what the bore may look like .

I have two questions ,

1. Whats the typical value of one of these things in 80% with a decent shootable bore .

2. Were these things known for positive or negative accuracy with jacketed or cast bullets .

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
hrafknel posted this 10 June 2012

A shooting companion bought one last year and first 50 yard jacket firing, none were point first. He had to go to a .287 dia. jacket bullet for point first impact at 50 yds. Never saw him fire at a hundred yds.

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 10 June 2012

The last spanish mauser I bought was in very good condition, rebarreled to .308. Cost $125. Had to remove the TC sight glued to the barrel and added a peep sight and a Timney trigger.

If the bore isn't GOOD, the rifle isn't GOOD.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 10 June 2012

I have only heard good with cast bullets that fit even with a marginal bore. A re-crown may help a lot and is usually needed with the old ones.

Jacket bullet performance is much more fussy to bore condition.

Either way, if you get the rifle, try the Hoppe's Bore Snake and Turtle Wax Chrome Polish  I have posted on and you will be able to be a better judge of bore condition looking into a shiny bore.

Gary

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 10 June 2012

I am anticipating having to pay about $200-300 “if” the bore is good .

I just got a RCBS 7mm-168GC mold for free along with a sizing die and a box full of Hornady 7mm checks so I kinda want a rifle to try the bullet in but I'll also try the Hornady 139 SST before I ever try any cast bullets .

Also need to start contemplating what mold I wanna use in one of my Huqvarna Swedish Mausers although they both do nicely with the Hornady 6.5mm 140 SST .>

Hence my reasoning for only shooting cast in one of them .

Attached Files

Same guy that has the 7x57 also has a nice looking Remington 03A3 that I also may try and get .

Attached Files

onondaga wrote: , try the Hoppe's Bore Snake  

Another one of those personal things . But I dislike bore snakes .

I much prefer to put money in Dewey's pocket for some of his rods anyday !

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 10 June 2012

"Another one of those personal things . But I dislike bore snakes ."   .....  http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=1088>6pt-sika

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=1088>6pt-sika would rather pay for are fine cleaning rods, I have several. None of the Dewey rods or accessories offer a 46 inch weighted  pull through para-cord and a 32 inch long snugly fitting braided patch area with an internal bronze bristle section like this 30 caliber Bore Snake does.

The Hoppe's Bore Snake is  very effective for bore polishing with a mild abrasive. I drop the weight through from the breech and when the thick snug fitting  braided 32 inch patch section area is just in the chamber I syringe a teaspoon of abrasive in the chamber. Then I take 10 pull throughs. Before the next cycle of 10 pulls I add more abrasive.  About 6-10 polishing cycles of 10 pulls will bring a totally black 100+ year old neglected rifle bore to a shine so you can easily inspect for bore wear and pitting. The bore will also be polished slick for the best cast bullet shooting you are going to get short of  tool bit honing or firing with polish embedded progressive grit  bullet sets. The tool bit honing and fire polishing also removes much more metal than the BoreSnake will.

I am not going to say pewey on Dewey but the Bore Snake excels far beyond anything from Dewey for bore polishing.

The Bore Snake is easy to clean after a job like bore polishing and the thing seems to last forever. I just soak the whole snake with Mean Green or 409 cleaner, let set 1/2 hour then rinse thoroughly and hang to dry.

Gary

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 14 June 2012

46” is a wonderfull thing , however I seriousely doubt I'll have a barrel anywhere close to that length .

When I clean a barrel I usually do atleast 2 passes of the brush for every round fired that day . Alotta times I'll do 3-4 passes . So we're speaking of anywhere from 20-120 passes . That would take forrever with the Bore Snake .

But the bottomline is I simply do not care for them .

Attached Files

shastaboat posted this 14 June 2012

Honestly, I don't think I would pay over $150.00 for it, if the bore is good. Sportsman's Guide was selling them as a non FFL required sale last year. I have seen some real rough ones and some nice ones. I convert all my small ring mausers to cock on opening with a Dayton Traister trigger and speed lock.

Because I said so!

Attached Files

gnoahhh posted this 14 June 2012

In the whole scheme of things, Spanish Mausers are fairly close to the bottom of the Mauser totem pole. That said if it were in nice condition with a nice bore, I'd go maybe 150-200 for it. that's a mighty big if, because I never saw one like that.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 14 June 2012

http://castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=1088>6pt-sika,

Attached Files

http://castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=1088>6pt-sika:

45 years ago or before the 1968 Gun Control Act,  Spanish Mausers in 7X57 were plentiful and could be bought through Guns and Ammo magazine for less than $80.00 for a nice “Select” rifle.  Ever since then they have gotten rarer and rarer to find and prices have skyrocketed. 7x57 is a highly desirable caliber and really finding a good one now is not hopeless but they generally run $300.00 and way up right now. If you see a good one you can afford, snap it up. Finding another has less hope every year.

After 2 continuous years of looking for a good Military 7X57 Mauser at gun shows, I gave up and got a nice 1903A3 with all new arsenal parts built in the 1960s on a non collectable value National Ordinance ( California Corp.) receiver. Mine has the Marine Corps hooded front sight and match trigger.  Cost $215.00 and it really shoots well.   Gary

Attached Files

onondaga wrote: http://castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=1088>6pt-sika,

You are stuck in a misinformed rut and will stick with your story and  tradition.  Enjoy.

Gary

Problem is you offer information no one asked for !

Attached Files

6pt-sika wrote: onondaga wrote: http://castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=1088>6pt-sika,

You are stuck in a misinformed rut and will stick with your story and  tradition.  Enjoy.

Gary

Your misunderstanding is profound, I presented a clear method to clean and shine an old Mauser bore to ready it for inspection and you proceeded to  present an uninformed, biased poor opinion of a good technique to get the Mauser  bore ready for inspection. You are stuck in a misinformed rut and will stick with your story and  tradition.  Enjoy.

Gary

Attached Files

onondaga wrote: 6pt-sika wrote: onondaga wrote: http://castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=1088>6pt-sika,

Gary

Your misunderstanding is profound, I presented a clear method to clean and shine an old Mauser bore to ready it for inspection and you proceeded to  present an uninformed, biased poor opinion of a good technique to get the Mauser  bore ready for inspection. You are stuck in a misinformed rut and will stick with your story and  tradition.  Enjoy.

Gary

You present an issue that wasn't brought up by me or asked  by me . Quite often everything you say wasn't about any "asked” question . “If” I wanted your “opinions” I would certainly ask . But to the best of my knowledge I've never asked YOU for anything .

Now whether you believe your technique to be better then what I do is irrelavent . No where did I ever ask about “polishing” anything .

Personally I do not care how you do for yourself . And as to inspection LOL's !

Attached Files

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=1088>6pt-sika:

You have arrived short of calling me  names ; You are a better man than I presumed.

You do only ask 2 specific questions in your original post, however,  your declarative, “it looked to be average to maybe a hair better on the outside with no idea what the bore may look like “, does ask a question also. I answered that declarative with a suggestion to get an answer about what the bore actually does look like.

You do exhibit a personality that could be refreshed or better self understood  by  reading “People of the Lie” by M. Scott Peck.  The book will answer, explain and demonstrate with case studies why you asked 2 specific questions and reject anything else in response  other than what you want for answers.

Gary

Attached Files

onondaga wrote: http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=1088>6pt-sika:

You have arrived short of calling me  names ; You are a better man than I presumed.

You do only ask 2 specific questions in your original post, however,  your declarative, “it looked to be average to maybe a hair better on the outside with no idea what the bore may look like “, does ask a question also. I answered that declarative with a suggestion to get an answer about what the bore actually does look like.

You do exhibit a personality that could be refreshed or better self understood  by  reading “People of the Lie” by M. Scott Peck.  The book will answer, explain and demonstrate with case studies why you asked 2 specific questions and reject anything else in response  other than what you want for answers.

Gary

In the future I think we'll both be better served if neither of us respond to ANYTHING the other asks or has to say on this forum .

From the first time you told me you could “straighten out my molds” I have thought you to be a “know it all” or atleast in your mind !

You give one the opinion that your opinion is the one and only . And as anyone except you is well aware thats not the case .

Attached Files

http://castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=1088>6pt-sika:

Now,  you inflict your will upon me and suggest your rules for me. THAT IS NOT HAPPENING. You have stooped below name calling.  Read the book and see why I didn't provide YOU the warning that comes with the book for people described in the book with the characteristic disorder  you vividly display.

I can straighten out your molds or at least demonstrate what is wrong with them if there is a problem at all.  If you were my neighbor, I'd invite you over and show you.

Now, I will take a dig too. You would fit right in with 45Nut and Pat Marlins at Castboolits .  Go hang out there and save us both some keyboarding.

Gary

Attached Files

raytear posted this 14 June 2012

I had an M1916 Mauser similar to the one described.  It had a relined barrel done by the Spanish and was at least .287. It was very erratic with any bullet other than jacketed 175 grn. flat base. I expect the long bearing surface allowed the bullet to catch the rifling enough to shoot accurately. Even then I had to keep velocities down in the .30-30 range.  I have never seen it documented anywhere, but I suspect that many Spanish-speaking countries used “fat” bullets in their 7 X 57's if they expected them to shoot reasonably, since I have heard of many other Spanish 7 X 57 mm's with over-spec bores.

The stock was quite unexpectedly pretty; a warm honey colored walnut with waves and curls in the grain. The small ring action was decent, too, with a hinged floor plate, so eventually I rebarreled it to 6.5 X 55 with one of  Midway's  Adams & Bennett tubes. The action's steel is a bit on the soft side, so I keep the loads light by shooting only cast in it.  I believe it is correct to say that the Spanish actions are at the lower end; just behind the Turkish made large rings. Though I will say I have had good service from both types by keeping things within their limitations.

FWIW.

Good shooting! RT

Attached Files

I doubt seriousely noiw if I get the 7x57 . The same person has also a Winchester Model 71 that intrests me . The 348 WIN is one of the few lever action cartridges I've not fooled with . And if I can get this thing right I doubt if I mess with shooting this one either but rather try and turn it for a modest profit .

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 16 June 2012

Well just got back from the place the Spanish Mauser was at !

It was actually an auction . Anyway the Mauser looked okay the stock had been refinished and the bore was shiney but had some dust in it . It ended up going for $125 but I didn't bid . They had a kinda nice Remington 722 in 300 Savage I looked over pretty well . That rifle had a Weaver K4 on it and eventually sold for $300 . They also had a very nice Kimber Sporterized 96 Mauser in 6.5x55 , I almost bid on that one but held out and it went for $300 . This one looked as it did the day Kimber redid it no marks what so ever .

I ended up bidding on another Remington 700BDL Varmint in 222 REM and got it for a decent price . The rifle looks to have an excellent bore but could use a cleaning . Has two small spots with blueing wear , one on the top side of the barrel that I assume came from riding in a truck window rack for awhile . And some blue wear on the muzzle but no affects I can see to the crown .

Attached Files

Close