Has anyone tried Alliant "PROMO" shotshell powder with cast

• 9.7K Views
  • Last Post 24 January 2010
Ed Harris posted this 09 March 2007

No, Ed hasn't abandoned his loyalty to Bullseye and Reloder 15. Fear not.  But people are asking me about this stuff.  I haven't tried it and am not about to buy an 8 lb. keg to experiment with.  But a cheapskate friend in SC is also a sporting clays shooter. He says that Alliant's PROMO shotshell powder is great in 12-ga. He's even cheaper than me and wants to use this stuff for cast loads in his rifles and handguns. But of course there is no published data.   Alliant's shotshell data says that it burns similar to Red Dot, but is denser.

Promo

94.1%

Secondary Uses

Handgun loads

Safety Data

http://www.alliantpowder.com/products/MSDS/msds_promo.html>MSDS

So I told him (with humorous intent) to try 13 grains of the stuff in any strong, modern rifle of .30 cal. or larger, in a case size larger than a .30-30 and let me know if it either blows up or leads the barrel.   

A call to Alliant wasn't all that helpful either.  I don;'t know if this stuff is odds and ends of mixed lots left over when they sweep< the floor or what?

Anybody tried this stuff?  I got no clue.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
mtgrs737 posted this 24 January 2010

I have heard that Promo is powder that did not pass the reqirements for which ever powder it was supposed to be, so Aliant reformulated it to the same burn rate as Red Dot. The reformulation is why the density varies from lot to lot. You might call it re-cycled powder, personaly I wouldn't care how they make it as long as it works well and is cost effective. Again I did't get this information from anyone at the factory, I just read it on another forum, but it does make sense.

Attached Files

offhand35 posted this 15 September 2009

Promo is available only in 8 lb. jugs.

Attached Files

smokiejoe posted this 14 September 2009

If they sell it by 1 lb., I will try it in my 41 Swisss. Joe

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 02 September 2009

cityboy wrote: Ed

What do you use Reloader 15 for? I use Reloader 7 in my bolt action 30-30 and seems to work good.

Jim

I use RL-15 for high velocity (1800-2000 f.p.s.) cast GC hunting loads at charge levels approximating 65-75% of the listed jacketed charges for the given weight of bullet, and for jacketed loads approximating factory velocities in the .30-30, .303 British, .30-40 Krag, .308 Win. and .30-'06.

RL-7 is an excellent cast bullet powder which I have used alot of, and it measures nicely.  However, I found I could simplify using RL-15 for the very few heavy GC loads I used, and by using Bullseye for the light plainbased gallery rifle loads, which now comprise the majority of my recreational shooting.    

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

cityboy posted this 01 September 2009

Ed

What do you use Reloader 15 for? I use Reloader 7 in my bolt action 30-30 and seems to work good.

Jim

Attached Files

Trumpetman posted this 01 September 2009

Hi.  This is my first post on this forum.  There's a lot of good info here.  I hope my contributions will be of help to some of you, too.

I just started using Promo in the spring (of 2009).  I really like the stuff.  I use it for .38 Special, light .357 Magnum handgun and rifle, 9MM pistol, and 12 gauge 1 oz loads up to 1275 fps and 1 1/8 oz loads up to 1225.  Most of my Promo shotgun loads are around 1200 fps, which I believe is where Promo does its best work.

The reasons I like Promo are price and value.  It also fills the cases much better than Bullseye and even Red Dot for the above-mentioned calibers, as well as for my favorite 12 gauge loads.  I still use Herco for stouter shotgun field loads, and Alliant 2400 for my hotter handgun and rifle loads.  But I don't use Red Dot at all, and I'm not going to replace my Bullseye when it runs out.  I'm really sold on Promo.

Attached Files

Kosh75287 posted this 04 January 2009

I asked Alliant Powders about subbing Promo for RedDot. They said to throw the charges by weight ONLY, but that otherwise Promo is RedDot without the red dots. They also recommended shaking the container after every use, since some settling may occur over time. It works fine in .45 ACP. 4.6/Promo/225cast gives about 780 f/s from MY pistol. YMMV

Attached Files

CB posted this 10 July 2007

Hi Guys; I have used Promo enough to appreciate the value. The burn rate is the same as Red dot. The specific weight to volume ratio is not the same from lot to lot. With careful chrono work upon the opening of each 8 lb canister you can duplicate load quality. In 12 ga there is little difference from canister to canister. In light 38 and 44 loads more care is needed to stay at a specific velocity. Once the volume has been determined, it is possible to have single digit values in standard deviation results. I am working on my third jug and expect to continue using this powder. The 12 ga recomendations are on the newer jugs. While my experience is limited to 12 ga., 38/357 and 44, my data is available to any member upon request. I am sure nearly any Red dot load could be replicated with Promo. Shoot often, shoot well. Roy

Attached Files

Lloyd Smale posted this 19 May 2007

been meaning to try some myself. The price is sure right!

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 12 March 2007

This is helpful. I can at least give the guy some loading guidance. I wouldn't be excited about the coarser particle size and measuring, but as you say, it would be a good plinker's powder.

Thanks

Attached Files

lankenman posted this 10 March 2007

Ed,  I've finished my first 8 lb. keg of Promo using it solely for cast loads.  There is nothing remarkable about the powder either good or bad.   I'm not a benchrest shooter (open sights only) so can't vouch for its accuracy.  However, for plinking use, it is quite consistant.  The retailer that I bought it from mentioned that his supplier claims the powder is essentially Red Dot and you could use the Red Dot reloading tables by WEIGHT.   I've used Red Dot reloading data (beginning with starting loads and working up) as well as developing loads for cartridges where data was not available and have found it to be consistent from shot to shot.  Promo has the appearance of Red Dot (but no red dots) but is of coarser particle size.  I've reloaded .357 Mag. and .44 Mag. in handgun and 25-20, 6.5X55 Swede. Maus., .32 Win. Spl., 38-55 and 44-40 in rifle cartridges.  None of these were max. loads, just comfortable loads for 100 yd. shooting.  Conclusion: it's a good powder for economical plinking loads - no real drawbacks.

Attached Files

Close