8,15x46R CARTRIDGE DIMENSIONS AND BULLET & LOAD INFO.

• 1.1K Views
  • Last Post 12 August 2022
mashburn posted this 04 August 2022

I made a post a few months back about the purchase of a little tip-up German stalking rifle in 8.15x46R. I've finally got enough stuff finished and am now working on forming cases and am not far from getting to fire the little jewel. I haven't gotten the set trigger to the way I want it but have been able to get a good trigger on the primary trigger.

Ricin sent me a diagram of the 8.15 cartridge which showed the over-all case length to be 1.831" and an inside case mouth diameter of .330," and an outside case neck diameter of .349." My rifle cartridge has the following dimensions-over-all case length is 1.872-The inside case mouth diameter is .321 and the outside case neck diameter is .340. Here is how I determined the over-all case length of my rifle. I formed 30-30 cases to get them into a condition that they would chamber and ready to fireform by running the 30-30 cases through the .22 high power form die no. 2. I would then neck them up to .308 diameter and try to chamber and trim and then trim some more and so on. I got tired of this and took a 30-30 case that had been run through the no. 2 form die and that would allow the case neck to go down into the rifling a ways. I loaded up a fireforming load and fired it. that way the formed case showed exactly where the end of the chamber was. I cut it off right where the expansion stopped and shortened it a few thousands and that is how I arrived at the 1.872 case length.

Now I ask,are the shorter case dimensions that Ricin sent me made for a ringed bullet? I know there are two bore sizes on these rifles, a .321 and a .330. I've been trying to find dies and either they are out of stock or the person selling them used don't know what bore diameter the dies are for. I'm in the process now of making a neck-sizer and a bullet seater and hope the right dies at a reasonable price show up.

Now, let us talk about bullets. I purchased a mold that is supposed to be one of the best molds for the old 32-40 and I found part of a box of old round nose jacketed bullets,321, so I have no major problem in the bullet department. Any suggestions on molds-bullet and such would also be appreciated.

Now, I am open to help with starting loads and other good loads. I was going to try and look at 32-40 loading data, which I have. Any information or anything pertaining to this rifle or cartridge would be greatly appreciated.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
4060may posted this 05 August 2022

Here is a picture with the bullet and cases I used

I have a 6 Cav. mold that casts a copy of the 311299, but really fat, .305 on the nose and .318-.319 on the driving bands, used in my M\N 91-30, sized to .316, shoots well in the Mosin, tried it in the Aydt, with a plugged case, top of the picture, un-sized and LLA for lube, did as well as I could shoot at 72

The Aydt i had weighed about 12 pounds, and it was built as an  off-hand Target Rifle, sounds like you have a stalking rifle

Chuck

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • mashburn
4060may posted this 04 August 2022

I had a Haenel Aydt, chambered in 8.15 x 46R, the Groove Dia on mine was .318, I used a plugged case and breech seated the bullets, 12-13 grains of AA No.9, Enforcer, or Aliant 300MP, with 200 gr bullet, should work fine, I had a box of RWS Cartridges, so i never measured the case length, I did slug the barrel, a 10 shot group at 100yds with iron sights, and front rest only, cross sticks, was 1.5 in, fighting the big bellied off-hand stock the whole time

I remember using 30-30 cases, the rim had to be thinned, or the firing pin wouldn't hit the primer

copy of the case dimensions I got from the ASSRA site

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • mashburn
Fitzpatrick posted this 04 August 2022

Hey David,

I have a Hoch mould that is for a 8.15 x46R it drops a 185 gr. bullet at .319 if my memory serves correct, I would size it to .316 then paper patch it for a finished diameter of .323 which fits my 32-40 good . 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • mashburn
mashburn posted this 04 August 2022

Hello to all,

Thanks for the good information that you guys are sending me. In response to having to trim or thin 30-30 case heads, I have had no problems, they fit perfectly., This little rifle is nothing like the big heavy target rifles, it weighs 5 1/2 lbs. it has a tapered octagon barrel with a classic sporter buttstock and just enough wood to be called a forearm. I'm still in limbo as to the bore diameter, on one slugging I got .321, and on another attempt, I got .219. I have got to cast some bullets and see what diameter that drops from the mold. I was going to do that this afternoon and then I remembered my Granddaughter is playing softball, so her game takes priority over everything else.

Thalnks again,

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

mashburn posted this 05 August 2022

Hello 4060may,

Do you,by any chance know what diameter the bullets were in the factory ammo that you mentioned in your response?

Thanks 

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

4060may posted this 05 August 2022

Mashburn

Sorry, when i said Cartridges I meant un-primed Brass, went with the rifle when i sold it

Attached Files

mashburn posted this 06 August 2022

Hello to 4060may

Yes, I know it is a stalking rifle and I would probably be in the market for another one.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

mashburn posted this 06 August 2022

I cast some 8.15 bullets today from an old Ideal mold, number 319162 185. I was casting wheel weights+ 3% Tin. The bullets dropped out at .322-323 Diameter. The beat- up old mold did a surprisingly good job. If anyone has a .319 or a 321 sizer die or bushing they don't need, I would like to buy them, I can use either Lyman or NOE. Ii also need nose punches for the same..Every time I slug the barrel I get a different reading, either .319 or .321..

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

mashburn posted this 07 August 2022

Hello Fitzpatrick,

Would you be interested in selling your Hoch mold that you mentioned?

Mashburn 

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

mashburn posted this 12 August 2022

Through all of these exchanges I, never received any possibilities on loads for this rifle and cartridge. Are there any load suggestions out there?

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 12 August 2022

Here is from an article I wrote about 10 years ago.

"suggested a load of 12.0 grains of H4227 and that has proven the most accurate of any tried to date. Joe Gifford shoots a light charge of Unique and does well. Two full power loads I have tried is a compressed load of FFF black powder with plain based bullets and 22.0 grains of H4895 with the gas checked #319297. "

That last load is about 25,000 CUP so consider what you would use it with. While safe in my 1939 nitro proofed falling block rifle, I would not use it in a break top. 

Attached Files

Close