repair a 450 lube sizer

• 2.7K Views
  • Last Post 17 December 2011
niagara posted this 12 December 2011

I was using my 450 in the cold and turned the lube rod too hard. It snapped off at the base. Does anyone know if Lyman has a replacement rod or should I by a new 4500?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
beagle posted this 12 December 2011

Take it to a good welder.I broke one years ago and weld has held up nicely now I don't try to squeeze the very last drop of lube out.beagle

Attached Files

shastaboat posted this 12 December 2011

I'd also suggest contacting Lyman and see if they would repair it.

Because I said so!

Attached Files

You might also try Lyman and see if they would repair it.

Because I said so!

Attached Files

Would Lyman repair it?

Because I said so!

Attached Files

jhrosier posted this 13 December 2011

I had to replace mine last year. Lyman has all of the parts that you need to repair your 450. They are not expensive and are easily replaced. You might want to buy the handle & linkage upgrade at the same time. There is a list of the parts somewhere on Lymans website.

Jack

Attached Files

hrafknel posted this 13 December 2011

When I broke mine, I called Lyman and ordered a replacement.

Hrafknel

Attached Files

When I broke mine, I ordered a new one from Lyman. hrafknel

Attached Files

When I broke mine, I called Lyman and ordered a replacement.

Hrafknel

Attached Files

rwjshooter posted this 13 December 2011

Hi

I bought a new one for mine not to long ago from Lyman

Ray

Attached Files

raytear posted this 13 December 2011

Lyman can surely supply the needed part for a 450 L-S. On mine, I needed to replace the retaining nut that holds the dies in place. I ordered several and received them in less than a week.

I have an OLDER version of the automatic powder scale, the one with the balance beam and the diodes, etc. Mine is actually a pre-Lyman version made by AMT. I guess Lyman bought the rights to the design and changed the color of the case from black to orange.

At any rate, it quit working, and for a very reasonable repair fee, Lyman fixed it and sent it back.  It is not as glitzy as the newer ones with the digital read-out, but it works perfectly--especially with log type powder such as 4350, etc.

Lyman has always done me right and had the parts.

:fire Good shooting! RT

Attached Files

Uncle Russ posted this 17 December 2011

Mine broke years ago. But a thorough clean up and a spot of silver solder fixed me up. It is quite obvious they make the silly thing the way they do for production reasons. The nut/ring, on the end is larger in diameter then any other place on the part. So they take a piece of left hand ready rod and spot the ring on. Otherwise they would have to machine the piece in several steps not produce it on a screw machine for one tenth the cost.

Attached Files

Clod Hopper posted this 17 December 2011

This rod can also be brazed back on. Be sure to tell anyone on the phone that it is a steel rod that attached to cast iron before you drive a long ways to get it fixed. I don't think a conventional welder, like we had in shop class, will do it. Silver solder is a good option too.

Trust me, you won't break it again! :-)

Dale M. Lock

Attached Files

Close