Black Powder Lube

• 6.1K Views
  • Last Post 28 June 2012
turboman posted this 12 December 2011

Just curious whats your favorite  blackpowder lube for something like the ol sharps rifles,Ya got any factory lube ya like?Or do ya prefer your own special blend?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
John Grantham posted this 12 December 2011

SPG or Shavers

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 12 December 2011

Not a black powder expert, but SPG always works if you can afford it. For home made I like something with Crisco or lard ( or one of the greases that contains a lot of water in its composition)with olive or nut oil and thickened with beeswax. FWIW, Ric

Attached Files

nimrod posted this 12 December 2011

DGL worked very well for me.

Attached Files

PETE posted this 12 December 2011

I've used several over the years and finally settled on SPG and have'nt seen or heard of anything better. Seemslike if you hear of a new lube they say it's just as good as SPG. Can't get a better recommend than that. Buffalo Arms carries it if you want to try it out.

Pete

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 12 December 2011

I have had good luck with SPG. BRODIE

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 14 December 2011

SPG has been consistent for me. Been using it for years. The guy who beats me uses Shaver's.

Attached Files

salvadore posted this 27 December 2011

I use Darr's formula without the shot of rcbs lube, or was that spg????anyway 50/50 vaseline and parafin. Don't over heat it.

Attached Files

John Boy posted this 27 December 2011

Or do ya prefer your own special blend?" 40:40:20 ... mutton tallow: paraffin:beeswax

Attached Files

John Grantham posted this 28 December 2011

I've sent many shots down range shooting a 45/70 Sharps in "sillywets".  Shavers works the best if you are using a lubrisizer. You can't  pan lube with it.  You can pan lube with SPG.  I've tried over 50 different lube concoctions using everything from beaver grease to KYgel and bee wax.  Can't beat SPG or Shavers. If you shoot competively you can't aford not to use one of the two.  

Attached Files

nimrod posted this 28 December 2011

Tried all of the above and didn't realize what accurate shooting was until I discovered DGL. Actually someone put some in my hand and declared “try it, best dam lube you will ever shoot". Of course I was somewhat skeptical, danged if he wasn't right. And that was after spending a week chasing bullets around with Shavers lube at Raton. Never could get along with SPG.

Richard

Attached Files

John Grantham posted this 29 December 2011

just put dgl on my list to try

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 02 January 2012

I shot BPCR sillywets for about 15 years. I used Emmerts Home Mix with excellent results.

50% pure natural beeswax, 40% Crisco, and 10% Canola Oil. I later modified it by dropping the Canola oil and adding Anhyrous Lanolin (10%). It shot just a bit better but lasted better on the bullets for long term.

Dale53

Attached Files

CANADIAN BACON posted this 12 March 2012

HOWDY I have some DGL and LBT blue. They both smell the same but LBT seems harder. Does anyone know how the LBT will preform with BP. Thanks

Attached Files

John Grantham posted this 12 March 2012

I think LBT Blue is a smokless lube. It works great in my 30br cast bullet bench gun. I have found it lacking with black and a blow tube. If you wipe between shots it works.

Attached Files

.22-10-45 posted this 12 March 2012

Hello, Canadian Bacon..I have had first hand experience with LBT & B.P....Lousy!

Attached Files

CANADIAN BACON posted this 12 March 2012

HOWDY:D Thanks for the reply. This will save me a lot of time, not having to find out if LBT works with B/P. I purchased the lube with a mold I bought from LBT. The mold is stellar but the lube does not like the cold weather up here. I plan on going to the nationals this June and will see if it works there. Thanks Again.

Attached Files

John Grantham posted this 13 March 2012

If you use the blue you'll have to wipe after every shot.  It won't accept the fouling and keep it soft like SPG,DGL,Shavers,etc. If you don't manage the fouling and keep it soft, the first shot may be on target but rest assured the second shot is likley to hit you in  the back of the head. 

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 13 March 2012

SPG. Use in my .45 Colt too. Now for my flintlocks it's “Old Zip” patch grease. From Dixie gun works. Best I've found for PRB's. Tried bore butter but, no. I get twice as many shots between cleanings with “Old Zip.

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

CANADIAN BACON posted this 14 March 2012

John Grantham wrote: If you use the blue you'll have to wipe after every shot.  It won't accept the fouling and keep it soft like SPG,DGL,Shavers,etc. If you don't manage the fouling and keep it soft, the first shot may be on target but rest assured the second shot is likley to hit you in  the back of the head. HOWDY:D Thanks for the intel. From what you say, I wonder if the type of lube I have been using is the reason my 540Gr Postell bullet is keyholing. I haven't totally bled my Lyman lube/sizer of Lee 50/50. The DGL is in there and waiting to be used. I'll burn up my 50/50 bullets with some smokeless and only use the DGL for my next session with the Postell bullet. Iam shooting a 45/70 1874. Yea. Lots to learn.

Attached Files

John Grantham posted this 14 March 2012

What's the barrell twist rate?

Attached Files

CANADIAN BACON posted this 14 March 2012

John Grantham wrote: What's the barrell twist rate?

HOWDY:D I do my share of CBA shooting and had an idea about B/P. When I retired from my sawmill business I cut up all my old equipment into scrap. I kept the good stuff to push snow and work around the farm. As it happened the scrap brought a fair price, so I bought a new gun cabinet and filled it full of reproduction rifles and handguns. One of these is a 1874 sharps. It has the usual additions and shoots smokeless well. The twist is 1/20 and according to my tables, that I got out of a book, 1/20 can handle a bullet over 1.5” long. My Postell is 1.44". My 1876 45/60 will shoot a good group using 24gr/5744/340gr/fn. I loaded up 10 rds, using 24gr/5744 and the 540gr Postell in the 45/70 I have a 300yd range here and as soon as it stops snowing Iam going to see how they work. If the rifle will shoot the postell with smokeless, I will know it's something I missed or did wrong.   The folks on this site are a good help when it comes to solving these problems. Iam grateful:dude:

Attached Files

John Grantham posted this 14 March 2012

I have a 45/70  44 1/2 CPA with a 20 twist  barrel.  It likes the 125 round nose Lyman a whole lot better than a postel style My mould throws a 515gr bullet. It is shorter than my 132- 525gr Lyman postel.  The 540gr postel bullet that I have doesn't work well in this barrel. Groups are big and you can often see tipping in random on the target. I've shot my best groups with a 645 SAECO bullet. It works  out to 400m.

Attached Files

CANADIAN BACON posted this 15 March 2012

HOWDY JOHN:D Thanks for the reply. I shot those smokeless loads today. I put up a close target, 25yd, and the bullet still went sideways. Iam thinking if I want to get into this long range game I better buy another rifle. One with a faster twist. Before I do that I'll do more research into .45 cal bullets. When I bought all those guns I mentioned earlier I was of a mind to give Cowboy Action Shooting a try. I wanted to try the long range side matches they offer. I know about twist and such but not enough for the .45. If I can get a lighter bullet to work I'll keep this rifle. A friend who bleeds CAS has two “C” Sharps one 40/65 and a 45/70. He uses the postell in the .45 and does just fine. I wasn't smart enough to ask him what twist he has in the 45/70 Thanks for the intel. I have circled those molds in my midway catalog. Can you tell me if the Lyman handle will fit the Saeco molds. Thanks again.  

Attached Files

runnin lead posted this 15 March 2012

I  see no mention of what your bullets are sized to.

With my trapdoor I had tumbling & keyholing like crazy sized .459,

larger bullets solved the problem.

.459 works great in my C.Sharps

The Dia of your bullet may or may not be the problem.

If sizing .457 or 458 go BIGGER

Or try as cast & panlube & see what happens.

When going bigger put together a dummy & make sure it will chamber

before loading a bunch of them.

You may want to consider Eagle Lube , send a PM to Michael Rix on this sight

It is a great lube & less expensive,he won the Creedmore Nationals with that lube a couple years ago.

Attached Files

John Grantham posted this 15 March 2012

The Lyman handles are different than the SAECO. I use modified RCBS handles on my SAECO moulds. They're a lot more comfortable.  

I've shot that roundnose Lyman at long range with reasonable success.  RCBS has a roundnose that's worth looking at also. I think its more like the government issue    45-70-500 of the late 1800's. Still a good bullet.

Attached Files

John Grantham posted this 15 March 2012

I just read one of the posts that bullet size was mentioned.   If you are shooting smokeless the bullet needs to be groove diameter to a .001 bigger. With black you have to just find the size  the barrel likes. Example: I have a 45 18 twist Snover that prefers a bore size bullet (.451).

Attached Files

CANADIAN BACON posted this 15 March 2012

HOWDY:D Iam going to solve this issue with either LBT or Saeco. Then Saeco 645 is 1.2” long, 480gr. The reason I mention LBT relates to the fact I do not have any Saeco handles. LBT molds use RCBS handle and I have my share of these handles. After the dust settles the price will be the same. I have a couple of LBT molds and they work really well in the rifles I had them built for. Thanks for all your good advise.:dude:

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 16 March 2012

The Saeco blocks will work on Lee six cavity handles.

Attached Files

CANADIAN BACON posted this 16 March 2012

delmarskid1 wrote: The Saeco blocks will work on Lee six cavity handles.

HOWDY:D Thank you Del. I just happen to have a set of those LEE 6 handles. You guys are batting 1000:dude:

Attached Files

ml45 posted this 28 June 2012

paper patch and bear grease it worked back in 1800s works for me dont have to worry about soft fouling because thier is none . if it ant broke dont fix

Attached Files

Close