weatherby mark v action bolt binding problem

• 2.9K Views
  • Last Post 12 January 2012
biddulph posted this 09 December 2011

HI all, I have just got a second hand weatherby Mark V barrelled action which I have placed into a Bell and Carson 'tactical' stock and I've found that the bolt tends to bind a bit when opened and closed.

It tends to stick a bit on the section aft of the bolt head/9 lug area and on the rear of the action.

It closes ok and the trigger works fine.

any ideas would be gratefully appreciated. Current barrel is a .300 Weatherby but will be changed to a #8 contour Lilja post Xmas.

Hope all you US based guys are enjoying the cool of winter: spare a though for Aussies, especially those in the tropics who are experiencing wet season conditions like those in Florida in july, only worse!!

cheers

James

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
72coupe posted this 09 December 2011

Check to see if the front action screw is not screwing in far enough to bind the bolt.

Attached Files

TomG posted this 09 December 2011

Also, try loosening the stock screws holding the action in.  It could be you are bending the action when they are tight.  Look at the inside of the bolt way where the scope base mounting screws are and make sure the aren't too long and dragging on the bolt. Sometimes, the trigger assy. can drag on the bolt if it is too high in the action. You may be able to find it by taking parts off the action one at a time till the bolt free's up.

Tom Gray

Attached Files

biddulph posted this 09 December 2011

Thanks a lot guys,

I've now got something to work on.

I did tighten the action screws in pretty good. I'll loosen them off some and see how we go.

cheers and thanks,

James

Attached Files

biddulph posted this 10 December 2011

Well, damn, that sure fixed it!!

I loosened off the screws and all the binding dramas disappeared.

I'd have never thought that a couple of screws hand tightened could have torqued that massive action out of true...

Anyone know the correct torque settings for Mark V action screws? I tightened them up until the action didn't bind and didn't move in the stock.

Anyway, thanks so much for your advice, its saved me a trip to the gunsmith.

cheers

James

Attached Files

72coupe posted this 10 December 2011

My guess is that the action is not flexing but one of the screws is too long and going through the action and actually rubbing on the bolt.

Need to shorten the screw.

Attached Files

shastaboat posted this 10 December 2011

I installed a Bold adjustable trigger last week after removing what I thought was enough wood in the trigger area. This Mauser was doing the same thing you describe. When you lifted the bolt it required a soft blow to open the action. After removing the action I found that the trigger housing was rubbing the stock at the back of the trigger area. A few strokes with a round rasp file relieved the tension and the assembled rifle then functioned perfectly.

Because I said so!

Attached Files

shastaboat posted this 10 December 2011

72coup also made a good suggestion.

My guess is that the action is not flexing but one of the screws is too long and going through the action and actually rubbing on the bolt.

Need to shorten the screw.

CHECK THE REAR SCREW AND SEE IF IT IS PROTRUDING INTO THE ACTION SEAR SLOT.

Because I said so!

Attached Files

TomG posted this 10 December 2011

James,  

Glad to hear that that worked for you.   Actions aren't as stiff as some people think they are and screws have much more strength than most poeple give them credit for. 

Whenever a bolt binds at both ends, that's a clue that the action may be bent.  If a poor bedding area in the stock is causing the action to warp, the gun will never shoot up to it's potential till it's bedded stress free in the stock.

Sounds like you need to bed the action in the stock as the stock is probably not straight were the action sets.  You can get a very good bedding situation by doing the following that will bed the action in a  crooked stock stress free.

Coat the action with a good wax like car wax so the bedding won't stick to it.  Put modelling clay in all the holes and crevices in the action. Plug up the trigger cut out in the stock with modelling clay. Degrease the stock bedding area with Methle Ethel Ketone (MEK) e fast drying de greaser solvent will leave no residue. Coat the false stock screw thread and bodies with wax so they will release. Put the bedding compound in the stock with plenty of it so it ooozes out when you tighten down the action. Use a bedding compound that is thin enough to oooze out under pressure from the stock clamps. I use false stock screws with no heads to align the stock and action.  Use C clamps or something similar to clamp the action in the stock. Don't use the guard screws for this. Wrap tape around the barrel up in the forend to keep it in the center of the stock barrel channel when you do the bedding. Make sure the action is aligned vertically so the trigger will be in the center of the trigger guard cut out. Check this and then remover the trigger assy. for the final bedding.

Bed all of the action, not just the front and back. Get all the contact between the stock and action that you can get. Bed all of the recoil lug but relieve the area under it so that the bottom doesn't bottom out in the stock.  You want to be able to pull the action down evenly and not have it teeter totter on the recoil lug. 

The secret to getting a stress free bedding job is to clamp the action nice and tight till the ooozing stops and then release the pressure on the action and stock to just enough pressure to hold it in the stock while the epoxy hardens.  If you leave it in the stock with a lot of pressure, the action will be bent and the epoxy will harden so that every time you tighten the guard screws it will bend the action again and put it under stress. If that happens, you haven't fixed a thing.

After several hours, check the excess epoxy in your mixing cup and when is is hard enough to break if you bend it, pull the action out and clean everything up. You can pound on the false guard screws to get it to release. When you re install the original guard screws again, count the number of turns to bottom out the screws in the blind holes and then shorten them to come tight at one turn less than bottoming out when they are installed with the stock.

When I bedded target or hunting rifles for my customers I almost always installed . .625” dia. ( 5/8 inch diameter for us Yankee's) aluminum  pillars in the stock.  That way, the stock screws were compressing alum. pilars instead of the stock material. When you do it properly, stock screw tension is not important as long as the action is tight in the stock. After the bedding is done, drill out the through holes in the pillars so that the stock screws do not touch the pillars but just the floor plate and the bottom of the action. Stock screws are not there to align the action or to take up recoil forces. They are simply there to pull the action down into the stock.  You never want the stock screws to take any recoil. It should be the recoil lug the takes all the backward thrust. You can bed the first couple of inches of the barrel in front of the action but, I believe that it's best not to if the barrel isn't too heavy. The reason is that the reinforce area of the barrel around the chamber will heat up and expand and can  unseat the action slightly.  There's a lot of theories and hog wash old wives tales going around about bedding actions.  Some only bed the back side of the recoil lug. There is no plausable reason not to bed the front and sides of the recoil lug and get the most support that is available. Bedding the sides will take up the torque forces present when the gun fires and keep the action from rotating in the stock. 

The whole trick is to not bend/sress  the action when the epoxy hardens. Most folks don't have a clue what is going on and bend the crap out of the action when the bed it and then wonder why it won't shoot as well as a stock bedded by a real accuracy gunsmith.

This gun sounds like a perfect candidate for a bedding job.  Let us know if you do it and how it comes out. 

Tom Gray

Attached Files

codarnall posted this 12 January 2012

I had a German 378WM. Double recoil lugged action. If the bolts were loose at all it was down to Roys to be re-bedded as the mesquite stock would split, and did. My first thought was the action was over stressed, of five Mark V I've only had trigger problems. All ways a smooth action.

Charlie

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 12 January 2012

I've never owned a Mark V , but I have had three for awhile to play with !

The first was a Japanese 257 Weatherby that had headspace issues . And even though it had headspace issues the thing still shot MOA with factory ammo .

The second one I ever messed with was a German made 378 Weatherby . This thing was about perfect in my honest opinion until we sent it to a customer in South Dakota and UPS broke the stock in half !

I have since sold the 378 as a barreled action to another customer .

The last one was a Japanese 300 Weatherby and this one was just like the 378 near flawless .

Both the 300 and 378 would shoot better I am sure then what I held them in the bags . But both shot MOA with factory for 3 shots . Not target by any means but surely acceptable for hunting and most normal “Joe Shooters” .

On a secondary note I've owned three rifles chambered for Weatherby cartridges . The first which I still have is a Ruger #1B for the 270 Weatherby . Got that one used and 5 boxes of old stock Federal 130 grain ammo . With a LEupold Vari XIII 4.5-14AO it'll keep three eaily inside an inch at 100 yards . I also still have a RUger #1B in 300 Weatherby . With a Leupold Vari XII 4-12AO scope and a handload of the Hornady 165 SST and 80 grains of RL-22 this one will shoot about 3/4” for 3 shots at 100 yards .

The final rifle I had chambered for the Weatherby cartridges was a Remington 700CDL blued fluted barrel in 257 Weatherby . This one shot nicely with factory 100 grain ammo but I wanted a heavier bullet and worked up a load using the Nosler 115 grain Ballitic Tip that was less then 3/4” at 100 for 3 shots . Nice little rifle and a pleasure to shoot . It just wasn't good for the majority of where I hunt and when I bought it in all actuality I really wanted a DeLuxe Mark V so I sent it down the road for what I had in it !

Lotta folks bad mouth Weatherby cartridges , but I've enjoyed the ones I shot .

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 12 January 2012

tom gray is right on in his binding scenario....it would be interesting to remove the barreled action from the stock and see if that relieves the binding. regarding pillar bedding; i now consider it just a waste of ammo to not just pillar bed a bolt gun in the first place before firing...  even rugers,   --brownells has pre-milled angled pillar blocks to ease the pain of that trick front bolt scheme.  i recently used the brownell block to bring a 1 moa ruger77v  down to a 1-holer. trivia r us..ken

Attached Files

Close