A 1951 Time Capsule - .35 Marlin Eye Candy

• 11K Views
  • Last Post 14 November 2016
Ed Harris posted this 13 November 2011

Much of the pleasure in owning an old gun is in the memories it evokes of past hunts, days afield with Dad or Grandpa, or the historical era in which it was made. When buying a used rifle off the rack we seldom know who may have owned it or its particular history. But it is fun to imagine the game it may have seen, the places it has been and the tales it may have heard around many campfires. It is also rewarding to tinker with old rifles, removing the grime of years, curing the ills of old age, getting them zeroed, developing good loads that work, and putting them back to work in the deer woods. This rifle found in a local shop is a great example. The “H” letter code preceding its serial number indicates this Marlin 336 Sporter in .35 Remington was built in 1951. Its El Paso, Texas manufacture K2.5 Weaver scope and E.C. Herkner Co., Boise, ID “Echo” side mount are of the same period. The rifle is in 90 percent condition, having been lovingly cared for and apparently used little. If only it could talk? If anyone reading this has their own tales to tell about a .35 Remington Marlin, let's please hear them. If you have some other “fireside favorite,” either rifle or handgun, which either tells a story or makes you contemplate what might have been, please post pictures and share the eye candy! Fouling Shot Editor Glenn Latham and I were recently discussing ideas to encourage members to submit articles for The Fouling Shot. My favorite articles in the Gun Digest for years have been reader submissions under the category “One Good Gun.” So as not to steal their familiar tag line, “Fireside Favorites” will be ours. The concept will be similar, but with the emphasis, of course, on using cast bullets! So go to your hunting camp closet, pick your fireside favorite, and tell us about yours.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
tturner53 posted this 13 November 2011

Great idea! I wanted to vote but there wasn't an option for me. I voted “who wants a .35...", I do! Been craving one like that for a while. My only .35 rifle is a Marlin 1894 .357. It's a shooter big time.  Two “heirloom” guns that come to mind for me are a plain post '64 Winchester 94 used on hunts with my son and an H&R 157 fullstocked 30-30 single shot used for the same purposes. I was the first hunter/gun nut in my family so no inherited guns for me.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 13 November 2011

oops

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 14 November 2011

That rifle is quite nice !

Although I wouldn't rate it at 90% since it's had NON factory holes drilled and tapped in the side of the reciever .

You don't have the appropriate box up there for me to check !

I “had” 4 35's at one point . Two I had purchased new and two used . The first was a MArlin 336D which was a special run Davidson's had Marlin do a few years back and it looks like a Guide Gun . Right about the same time I got a 1952 vintage 336SC at a gunshop in the Poconos of PA that was in the finish department the same as yours yet mine didn't have the extra holes .

Later Marlin brought the 336XLR out in 35 REM and I had one as soon as dealers could get any . Shortly after that one I picked up a nice used 336D from a local Pawn Shop .

So at one point I had the 1952 336SC and the used 336D for cast bullets , the new 336D for jacketed handloads and the 336XLR for the Honrady Leverevolution ammo . I have now since liquidated them all after having killed deer with all except the 336D I purchased used . And I kinda wish I had the used 336D back !

It genuinely loved the Ranch Doh 359-190GC and the RCBS 35-200 GC .

Attached Files

Ranch Dog posted this 14 November 2011

Very nice, I have an “K” (1953) 336SC and a “D". The “D” was a year 2000, special run Guide Guide commissioned by TALO. Both, great rifles but I should give them more attention. I shoot my TLC359-190-RF out of both.

I really like the “Fireside Favorite” idea and I've been wanting to settle down and start writing a bit for the Fouling Shot so this would be a logical place to start!

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 04 March 2012

Well I finally got me a Marlin 336 .35 Remington, a 1971. Ranch Dog wouldn't part with his '53, my favorite year.  I was planning to use my LBT 359-200 LFN like I do in the 1894c but it's too fat at the nose. So I'm thinking of getting the Ranch Dog mold designed for the Marlin .35 chamber. It'll be used in local cast bullet silhouette matches and the CBA's Lever/Pump/Auto postal match. Any recommendations for a ~1600 fps load would be appreciated.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 04 March 2012

I never owned one but my former father in law had one. It was a Remington pump (don't know the model) in the .35 remington cal. My sister in law shot a lot of deer with that gun.

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 05 March 2012

Pigslayer wrote: I never owned one but my former father in law had one. It was a Remington pump (don't know the model) in the .35 remington cal. My sister in law shot a lot of deer with that gun.

Could have been one of three different Remington pumps .

If the gun had a straight grip it was most likely the first model Remington pump the Model 14 . If it wasn't straight grip but still had the mag tube that looked sorta like a drill bit then it was a Model 141 . And finally if it was neither of the above it was Model 760 or one of it's offspring .

I have an older friend thats gotten very flush with lever actions and Remington pump's in the model's 14 and 141 .

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 05 March 2012

6pt-sika wrote: Pigslayer wrote: I never owned one but my former father in law had one. It was a Remington pump (don't know the model) in the .35 remington cal. My sister in law shot a lot of deer with that gun.

Could have been one of three different Remington pumps .

If the gun had a straight grip it was most likely the first model Remington pump the Model 14 . If it wasn't straight grip but still had the mag tube that looked sorta like a drill bit then it was a Model 141 . And finally if it was neither of the above it was Model 760 or one of it's offspring .

I have an older friend thats gotten very flush with lever actions and Remington pump's in the model's 14 and 141 . It was a model 141.

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 05 March 2012

Ed Harris wrote: .... The “H” letter code preceding its serial number indicates this Marlin 336 Sporter in .35 Remington was built in 1951. ...  

I had to check my gun room, yes my “H” coded 336 is stil there.  Sling is different, but otherwise it's the same!

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 13 December 2013

I got my Marlin 336 out for some quality time together yesterday. A box of 20 loaded with my Ranch Dog plain base 190s stayed at around 2 moa using a peep sight. The Ranch Dogs were cast from 50/50 ww/pb, tumble lubed as cast, .3615", with LLA mix. SR 4756 pushed them to an estimated 1200 fps. It's very pleasant to shoot these mild plain base loads. After I got the gun I bought 6 boxes of factory ammo. Now I'm wondering why.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 13 December 2013

great to see your 35 doing good, mr. T.

i can't remember... is that a micro-groove ? those 361 bullets must be the trick.

ken

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 14 December 2013

Yep, it's Micro-Groove. Loves the Ranch Dog bullet.

Attached Files

Vassal posted this 14 December 2013

Never had one but its high on my list. While sitting in the woods a few weeks ago with my Mosin I couldn't help but lament the fact that I didn't have a larger calibre rifle stuffed with cast loads. A 35 is about perfect for the Ozark woodlands. I might also add that my collection lacks a levergun of any sort and it's hard to properly emulate the “Rifleman” without one,,,

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
rjmeyer314 posted this 17 December 2013

My father had a couple Remington Model 8's in 35 Remington. The first was left to him by his brother, and was a higher grade model with fancy wood and engraving. It was stolen one day when he was out tending his trap line. He got another plain version, also in 35 Remington. He took many deer, and also a black bear with that one. I had it for many years, but only shot a woodchuck or two with it. Now it's passed on to one of my sons.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 18 December 2013

See the new forum lost the old pictures and would only let me upload one for each post, so here is a full-length of the rifle which started this....

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Tom Acheson posted this 18 December 2013

Speaking of the Rifleman (Chuck Connors), after he fires off a handful of shots he looks at the camera as he puts a few more new rounds into the magazine. The on Pawn Stars they were at the range doinf some shooting with a Winch. .45-90 and after shooting he loaded more rounds into the magazine. In both cases above, the lever was in the up position.

If I'm doing things right, my Marlin 336 requires the lever to be all the way open to load it. Does that make sense?

Tom

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 18 December 2013

Nope. You can't load your 336 with the lever closed/bolt forward?

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 18 December 2013

Just came back from the range. Sorry I had it backwards. It can be loaded with the bolt closed.

Tom

Attached Files

bandmiller2 posted this 09 June 2014

Ed, my uncle just gave me his 35 rem. 336A with the 24” barrel early enough to be ballard rifled. He was a WW2 pilot and bought it new after he returned, told me he paid $98.00 for it. It has one of the best triggers I have felt, and I'am working up cast and jacket loads. The only problem I'am having is finding brass. Ed if you have friends or contacts in the industry tell them we need 35 rem brass bad. Thanks Frank C.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 13 June 2014

Congratulations! Good score. My 1971 .35 Rem. dearly loves the Ranch Dog 190 gr., both plain base and gas checked. Mine is a MG barrel. I think there are knock off copies of Ranch Dog designs available if you're interested from the outfit in Utah. Their quality is good.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 13 June 2014

My NOE mold for the 359-190RD in their plain based version, with conventional lube grooves and crimp grooves is a great performer for me in the 9mm Cowboy, .38/.357 and .35/30-30.

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 14 June 2014

in excavating in my stash i noticed a sack labeled 35 rem. if anybody needs cases i will pull it out and see what they are. pm please.

i can now see someone waving a flashlight from clear across my shop !! stuff from the 70's is turning up !!

i got some 6.5 x 55 lapua cases i paid 20 cents for; wow.

ken

Attached Files

olesmokey posted this 25 July 2015

Ken Waters has a chapter devoted to 35 Rem in Petloads. Its very informative. I have drooled on many .35 Marlins here. The price has really gone up on those old guns but they are so fine.

Attached Files

oscarflytyer posted this 28 July 2015

Recently a big Marlin/Lever guy. got away from milsurps and transferred my OCD to levers! One of the first of these was/is a Marlin 336 in 35 Rem. Great gun and thumps a deer. But I am actually thinking of parting with it IF I get my hands on a Rem 141 in 35 Rem. Then take a Marlin 336 30-30 that has been desecrated (name engraved)and boring to 356 Win! Have my Marlin 1895 45-70. And a resurrected Glenfield Mdl 30 30-30 that is going to become a 38-55! Guess this is more of a Lever gun response than 35 Marlin - but the 35 Marlin was the second lever I got and I Love the levers!

Attached Files

M3 Mitch posted this 25 September 2015

I don't have a Marlin, but I do have a Remington Model 8 in .35 Remington, and a Model 760 pump as well. The 760 is early enough to have an aluminum butt plate. Both shoot at least OK, although as usual for me I have not done any formal accuracy testing.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 26 September 2015

Well, this doesn't concern a .35 Remington but I hope it qualifies for a “Fire Side Story". About fifteen years ago I was in a pawn shop looking around. One of those places that don't have a gun rack to display their rifles. They just put them in a corner with a locked chain through the trigger guard. I spied a Remington 760 in .270 caliber. It had the older aluminum buttplate. The bluing was in good shape but stock was scratched up & ill kept. Looked like someone used it for a crutch.  The extractor pin was broke & there was no clip. The rifling looked good. They wanted $275.00 for it & I wound up paying $175.00 after haggling. I ordered a new extractor pin from Brownell's & installed that. I scraped down the stock & cleaned up the checkering & gave it a new coat of finish.  The stock is actually a “curly” walnut. I found a set of scope mount bases at a local gun shop and ordered a new set of scope rings. I had a cheaper Bushnell Sportview 3 x 9 x 40mm scope new in the box laying around so I mounted that. At that time I wasn't equipped or inclined to shoot cast bullets in it so I loaded up my favorite jacketed load. 150 gr. Sierra Spitzer Boat tail, 54.4 grs. H4831 powder & CCI lge. rifle primer. I took the old girl to the range & in a short while I could cover 3 shots with a dime at 100 yds.. I contacted Remington as to the serial number & they said that it was made in 1954. I'm glad that I found it & brought it back to life. The “Old Girl” is back in service & putting meat on the table.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Ed Harris posted this 26 September 2015

Great story.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 26 September 2015

Anybody shot an elk with a .35 Remington? Me and JR. are going to Washington for an elk hunt! He's thinking of taking my Marlin. Is the Hornady tipped bullet really better? We're expecting heavy cover, short range stuff.

Attached Files

oscarflytyer posted this 27 September 2015

Had a rem 336 and sold it to a buddy when I bought another I liked better. And also just picked up a Rem Mdl 14 in 35 Rem.

Attached Files

bandmiller2 posted this 01 October 2015

I agree with what Ed said its a shame we don't know the history of some of the old used guns we buy. Too bad they didn't come with a log book. Years ago I was rummaging around the Kittery trading post in Maine and came upon a Winny 94 32 special. The gun showed a lot of blueing wear but the bore was crisp and clean. It had a Redfield receiver sight and a recoil pad to lengthen the stock. It was some ole boys pride and joy and used many years. Frank C.

Attached Files

gnoahhh posted this 01 October 2015

Off the wall and about as far as one can get from a .35 Remington: In 1962, at my Great Grandfather's estate auction, a Stevens M87 .22 autoloader w/Tenite stock came on the block. Gramps and Dad didn't have a clue as to when and where the Old Man acquired it, or that he even owned it. On top of that, the stock was broken in half through the wrist. My 9 year old self lobbied for that gun until finally my dad sent me on an errand to get me out of his hair. Upon arriving back I saw that the gun had come and gone through the auctioneers hands. Disappointment didn't begin to describe how I felt.

Two weeks later, my Gramps invited me out to his shop to lend a hand with a project he was working on. Lo and behold, there in his vice was that Stevens with the stock freshly repaired. He had glued it back together with epoxy and inlaid a big red plastic diamond over the break for added integrity. I think his face glowed as much as mine did as he handed it to me, with instructions I vaguely remember as words to the effect of “don't shoot your eye out, kid". He had paid $2.50 to win the gun at auction, as I found out later.

53 years later the stock is still in one piece and the gun gets a workout now and then, whether it needs it or not.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
M3 Mitch posted this 17 October 2016

Not a .35 Remington, but my American Eagle .30 Luger. My grandpa had a .30 Luger when I was a kid. Anyway years later I found the .30 American Eagle and a “regular” 4” barrel 9mm to go with it, bought both of them from the same dealer at a show in Salt Lake City.

Anyway the .30 has taken very well to cast, I use the Lyman 93 grain bullet intended for the round. Offhand I can't remember the exact charge, but a moderate load of Unique, taken from the Lyman 45th handbook and/or the same vintage first Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook shoots accurately and cycles the action as it should.

While he was still around, my late Dad saw me hit beer cans out to about 40 yards with it. I remember telling him about in over the phone, and he asked “You mean 40 feet?” - no, I sez, 40 yards (Paced off, so maybe it was 38 yards - ) He was right proud of my shooting.

Later with a shooting girlfriend at a range, she took a few shots with the American Eagle. As you probably know, Lugers eject more or less straight up. Without going into non- PG-13 details, well endowed ladies should not shoot Lugers when wearing a low-cut top...

The .30 is largely a hand-load proposition, I am not certain if any of the US makers even offer factory ammo anymore. Starline has empty brass at a reasonable price and I need to stock up.

I don't have a photo handy, have not figured out how to post one here anyway.

Attached Files

gunarea posted this 18 October 2016

Hey 35rs       My 336 is an original purchase made in 1972 at the request of my Dad. Although I was no longer a child living at my childhood home, when my Dad suggested me do something, I did it. This Marlin is a centennial complete with the medallion set into the stock. Being something special had nothing to do with my buying it. We hunted deer with 30-30s and bow. Hogs and bear required different equipment. On a hog hunt, my Dad was offered a shot with a friends 35 also in a Marlin.      Upon retirement, my biology teacher opened a sporting goods store in downtown Deland. As luck would have it, he got this centennial Marlin as part of his buy in package. While the rifle got a lot of curious attention, no one offered to take it home. I had been casting and reloading over 7 years now and figured to be able to make this thing work for me. Boy howdy does this rifle work and on everything in Florida. There is a post here at CBA which shows some of my 35 Rem loadings. From a 36 cal roundball, up to the legendary RCBS 200 gr. Yeah it's a micro groove but once you put that out of your thinking, it's also a tack driver. Somewhere in a box or sack or drawer or corner, is the original sling. The only change made to this outfit was putting quick release snaps on the sling. Literally hundreds of deer have been taken with this rifle and not a single wounded animal. Over forty years feeding my 35 cast bullets. What can you tell me??  Thanks for the trip back to many fireside evenings at camp.                                                                                     Roy  

Shoot often, Shoot well

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
M3 Mitch posted this 20 October 2016

tturner53 wrote: Anybody shot an elk with a .35 Remington? Me and JR. are going to Washington for an elk hunt! He's thinking of taking my Marlin. Is the Hornady tipped bullet really better? We're expecting heavy cover, short range stuff. No first-hand experience, but I think if you use a good bullet and you hit the right place on the elk from short range, it should do fine.  I think the point of the Hornady plastic point bullets is better long range performance.

I have not used them, but these Hawk brand bullets look good, you might consider them any time you are stretching the capabilities of a smaller cartridge on bigger game:

http://hawkbullets.com/masterList.html

I would think the right cast bullet, preferably made of #2 Lyman alloy, ought to work fine as well. 

Attached Files

2coldhere posted this 22 October 2016

I didn't see this post until it had ended, but here's my story on my heirloom 94 Win in .38-55 that my dad bought from his Uncle Otto in 1938 for $25. My brother and I used to get into his tool shed and play with it, as in dryfiring. One year a bear is walking thru the resort with customers around so he goes to get his trusty 94 to shoot it. In 1963 bears were only considered vermin. After 3 misfires he sees that the primers are not dented. He then got the 98 Mauser he brought back from the Battle on the Bulge and shot the bear. It was 40 years before we told him why the firing pin was broker in the 94. I think he was lucky the gun didn't go off as the factory ammo will only penetrate 2” of wet paper. He would have just tickled the bear enough to get a mauling.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Rodfac posted this 14 November 2016

Good caliber and a great old rifle, Ed. I took my 2016 buck with one this am. Rifle (Marlin 336 in .35 Rem. gussied up with some checkering and a tung oil re-finish) built in 80, shooter built in 1946. I now need a 2.5x Leupold Alaskan of mid-80's vintage, and that helped as did RCBS's fine 200 gr FP bullet. My Marlin will do an honest 2” at 100 yds with lightly culled bullets, sized 0.360". Leading has not been an issue. I like SR4759 in charges from 18.0 to 19.0 grains for about 1600 fps. Incidentally, that same load and sizing works wonders in a Savage '99 Brush Gun in .358 Winchester.  This year's buck went 150+lbs, dressed, and the bullet broke two ribs coming and going...a clean through and through. Good blood trail, and he traveled 100 yds through KY timber before stacking up. I like the caliber, but do find that I need to keep careful setting of my sizing die to prevent ANY setback of the shoulder, other wise I get occasional FTF's. Here's the round. If I can get the pics to work. (2nd one has my 1894 .357 in it...picked up the wrong carbine when back at the jeep prior to field dressing and pic taking).  Rod <url=http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Rodfac/media/Rifles/P3231173.jpg.html>

Attached Files

John F. posted this 14 November 2016

"I agree with what Ed said its a shame we don't know the history of some of the old used guns we buy. Too bad they didn't come with a log book."

Very true! I once had an 1894 SRC in .32 SPL built in the 'teens, that was in well-used, but very well-cared-for condition, original blue, varnish and perfect bore. It came with an original Lyman tang sight, and a folding barrel mounted sight with 2 blades. One had been crudely filed to a large “U” shape -- the opening was very large, almost semi-circular.

I couldn't understand the reasoning for this at first, because it had a horrible sight picture when looking through it at the front sight. Then, I stumbled across the real reason. With the tang sight flipped up, it very neatly fit over the cut-out “U” in the blade, which would have obstructed it, otherwise. It made using the peep sight effortless.

Flipping up the other blade on the barrel-mounted sight showed an excellent sight picture with the front sight, well-zeroed. So, it was like a little time-capsule, left in place for many decades by a previous owner, who obviously was a thinking-man's rifleman. I really appreciated the modification when I realized why it had been done, and the flexibility it brought to the SRC.
I would have loved to have met the previous owner and heard some of the rifle's exploits! As we say, “If only they could talk!”

John

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Dale53 posted this 14 November 2016

Rodfac; Good to see you again, my friend! That is a very nice buck, too!

Dale53

Attached Files

Rodfac posted this 14 November 2016

Good to hear from you as well, Dale...it's been too long. Been busy here with a new to me, Smith M19 and working up loads for the deer season. That RCBS 35-200 is a hellofa bullet; easy to cast, the right size right out of the mold, and as accurate as I can hold any more...Rod

Attached Files

Close