Ed Harris 38 special carry load

• 4.5K Views
  • Last Post 06 November 2011
slowshot posted this 04 November 2011

In the Journal # 213 Ed Harris extols the virtures of the wadcutter in 38.special for defense and small to med game -loads as follows Rem HBWC 3.2 Bullseye or DEBB WC (wheelweights) and 3.5 grs of Bullseye. Now what is the recipe for the load in .357 brass to be ;used in a 4” Mod 19

Thank you

Slowshot

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ed Harris posted this 04 November 2011

In .357 brass you can use 5 grains of Bullseye for about 1000 fps from a 4 inch barrel loading a cast solid DEWC seated in the crimp groove with the front driving band exposed.

Do not exceed 3.5 grs. of Bullseye with the Remington 148-gr. HBWC flush-seated in .357 brass for 820 fps from a 4-inch barrel.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • David R.
99 Strajght posted this 04 November 2011

I wish Ed would put all of this in a book. I have so many notes of where to look for good Ed Harris loads my notes fill a book.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • David R.
  • Jack47
Tom Acheson posted this 04 November 2011

How about a reliably functioning but accurate load for the old S&W Model 52 semi-auto target pistol that uses flush seated wadcutters?

Thanks!

Attached Files

runfiverun posted this 05 November 2011

try the old 2.7 gr bullseye.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 05 November 2011

deleted network lag time dupe

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Ed Harris wrote: runfiverun wrote: try the old 2.7 gr bullseye.

To match factory velocity with current Alliant product and Remington 148 HBWC flush seated you need to use 2.8 to 3.0 depending upon the case and primer. OK to load up to 3.2, but do not exceed this with flush-seated HBWCs.

Accuracy declines with Hornady, Speer, Zero, Precision Delta and Star HBWC bullets above 2.8. Best accuracy with Remington and the older Winchester bullets if you still have any, is in the range of 2.8 to 3.1 of current Alliant with Remington 1-1/2 primer.

S&W revolvers favor a heavier charge, as do converted Colt .38 Super Autos rechambered to AMU ammmunition.

Attached Files

99 Strajght wrote: I wish Ed would put all of this in a book. I have so many notes of where to look for good Ed Harris loads my notes fill a book.

I'm retired and that sounds too much like work.

Instead why don't you guys submit your list of references, and appoint somebody to compile the CD of my writings, I will bless the project and license the copyright to benefit CBA so our assn can do something like the Frank Marshall CD.

Attached Files

Clubkey posted this 05 November 2011

Ed Harris wrote: I'm retired and that sounds too much like work.

From another retired guy, yup sounds like a plan Ed cause about the only work this retired guy wants to do is load up some ammo and squeeze a few triggers. Ah yes the golden years... :)

However, I do enjoy reading just about any article you have authored and always come away with just a little more knowledge than I started with.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • David R.
99 Strajght posted this 06 November 2011

ED HARRIS CD. What a great thought. Now how do we get started?

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 06 November 2011

Ed Harris wrote: Instead, why don't you guys submit your list of references, and appoint somebody to compile the CD of my writings, I will bless the project and license the copyright to benefit CBA so our assn can do something like the Frank Marshall CD.

I'll vote for that and purchase it when it becomes available. I had my own list of Ed's Articles but lost them when my computer crashed. Hopefully, my “Cloud” back up will enable me to retrieve them. There is a tremendous amount of reference information there. A good bit of it is unavailable anywhere else.

As a for instance, his article about the Ruger .32 H&R's complete with pressure tested and “real world” experiences. This is GOOD stuff...

Dale53

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • David R.
Close