rooster jacket

• 4.3K Views
  • Last Post 25 March 2013
hwevers posted this 21 September 2011

I'm planning on lubing about 100  .45 bullets at a time ( 200 gr. SWC) in a margarine tub using rooster jacket, diluted w/water by 30%.

BUT: How much RJ should I be using? Measured in drops? Or teaspoons? Or??????

Any advice or opinions much appreciated.

Howard

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
noylj posted this 23 September 2011

I have never thinned it. There is no measurement. Save the tub. When you use it again, the small amount of residual RJ should go back into suspension. I lube with RJ the same as with LLA. I place the bullets in a pan, turn all bullets on their side, pour in a little lube and shuffle the bullets around and try to get them to rotate while being shuffled around. If, after a minute of shuffling, all the bullets are not shiny and wet looking, add more RJ. In your case, just keep rotation the tub until all the bullets are wet and shiny. RJ does not lube as well as LLA, so I would pour the bullets out onto wax paper or aluminum foil and let dry 24 hours. There should be no to very minimal run-off of the RJ. The bullets should look uncoated when dry. I would then put them in the tub for another coat. RJ is very good as a second coat to LLA tumbled bullets, also.

Attached Files

williamwaco posted this 26 September 2011

Ditto on what noylj said.

Rooster Jacket is good lube but you are not looking to “grease them up” Just get them wet all over.

If you haven't already done so, I would recommend not diluting it. It is thin enough already.

Attached Files

mikld posted this 26 January 2012

Have you tried Rooster Jacket without diluting?

Attached Files

hwevers posted this 27 January 2012

No, I haven't. One of the posters on the Bullseye forum suggested it, and I've had good results doing it. My .45 200 gr. SWC's, cast from wheel weights and Rooster lubed, shoot as good as or better than any I've ever bought.

Howard

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 27 January 2012

I don't dilute the Rooster. I put the bullets in a bowl and squirt some on them and swirl until they all show white on them. If they don't look coated enough I do it again. Sometimes I let them dry and give them another coat. I coat sized and lubed gas checked bullets the same way and then dust them with motor mica as though I were preparing fried chicken. I hate cleaning lead from any barrel.

Attached Files

Uncle Russ posted this 12 March 2013

Two questions.

1 If it is indeed so good. Why did they quit making it?

2 What are we going to go to next?

I like the stuff and dilute it with water 50/50 dump in a small rock tumbler for 4-5 minutes. It is dry and ready the next morning. What difference does it make how much water you dilute with? It just evaporates away any way. I use about a teaspoon diluted per 300 125gr 9mm from a Lee mold.

Attached Files

hwevers posted this 12 March 2013

Russ:

The 90 year old gentleman who was making it retired and sold or scrapped his machinery. I got this info direct from the mgr/owner of Rooster products.

I've got enough for now, but when it runs out I'm going to try Anchorseal (?) The original, not the “green” stuff.

Howard

Attached Files

Uncle Russ posted this 14 March 2013

Well; :uhuhuh:

That was not very thoughtful or polite of the old fellow is it?

Seems he should have made a few thousand gallons for the road so to speak.

Anchor seal is what? Found where? Please educate me.

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 14 March 2013

Russ;  Anchor Seal is a wood sealant that looks like a white paint when wt and dries to a clear waxy substance.  It is put upon freshly cut wood to keep the moisture from leaving too quickly and causing it to split or check.  Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

hwevers posted this 14 March 2013

Russ:

It's available from an outfit called Copper Beach. Phone is 800 532-9110 Price is $15/qt; I think larger sizes are available and cheaper. Let us know if you try it.

Howard

Attached Files

fryboy posted this 24 March 2013

rooster jacket was the last rooster lube to go away :( , IIRC it was the black powder lube , then HVR ( high velocity rifle which i sorely miss and havent been able to duplicate yet ) then the zambini ... i'll miss the no alox of RJ when my jug is gone , i never tumbled per say with RJ , i flood coat and drain , their instructions of “pouring thru a funnel” is perhaps the neatest way of lubing with it . i have to wonder how this will affect the “brand labels ” they also peddled in the past ? many of those are going to be missed ( think midway's ,hornady's and several other companies brass polish, case lube etc ) i have no idea what happened to their candle company , i'll guess that someone bought various aspects of the multi-faceted company ? i hope the guy enjoys his retirement too ! and ummm .... would post the recipe for a few lubes !! :P i've read various reports on other coatings ( paint, floor wax etc etc ) some i've tried and some .... well i dont know lolz , i suppose one could duracoat to match a firearm but lead has a beauty all it's own ;)

Attached Files

mckg posted this 25 March 2013

tss tss tss:

... if you, or someone you know, is interested in manufacturing and/or marketing ZAMBINI or ROOSTER JACKET, please let us know. We will work with you. In the meantime, thanks for your loyalty and your friendship. Without you, there would be no Rooster Labs.

http://www.roosterlabs.com/products.html

I wrote them and put all of you guys on the ro...., well, you know what i mean :cool:

Attached Files

Close