.38 S&W in a .38 Sp.HD gun

• 2.7K Views
  • Last Post 31 January 2013
tturner53 posted this 12 September 2011

Yesterday I was shooting my little guns, it was a qualifying thing. One of them was an oldish H&R .38 Undercover I've had for a loong time and used to carry it as a hideout gun. The trouble with little bitty .38 revolvers is ejecting the empties can be slow, they hang up sometimes coming out. Then you have to fiddle with them to clear it before you can reload. None of this matters unless you're in a hurry. Then I remembered a trick I saw at the range, a guy I know was using .38 S&W brass to reload with heavy bullets in his 4” Security Six. He used speed loaders and his point was the shorter overall length of the cartridge gave faster more reliable ejection of the empties. It seemed to work because he could go like hell double action with fast reloads and he is a very good shot to boot. Now, I see the logic of the old .38/200 loads as a defensive round, but never thought of the short cartridge angle before. I'm going to try some, but was wondering if anybody else uses .38 S&W in a .38 Sp.for this specific reason? Ever had the empties not quite come out all the way when the ejector is bottomed out? Maybe he has something, might be a big deal with something like these new super small .38 revolvers coming out and their short ejector rods. 

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 12 September 2011

When I was a young man, I tried putting 38 S&W's in a 38 Special revolver, but they wouldn't fit. So I haven't tried again. Maybe spec's have changed, but they used to be too large in diameter.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 12 September 2011

Well that was a short experiment. The .38 S&W won't chamber in any of my .38 Specials. I even tried running one thru a Lee carbide factory crimp die. It still leaves the base area of the case out there around .385 which won't go. I do remember looking at his ammo, even shot some, and recall they were short cases and I heard the word .38 S&W. Maybe he trimmed .38 Sp. to .38 S&W length and I'm just not remembering it right. It's just an idea, and I've been graciously reminded to employ proper techniques with a revolver and avoid the eject issues the right way, which is good advice. If the shorter case concept makes any sense when reliable ejection is critical then using .38 Sp. cases in a .357 would theoretically have a little advantage over the longer magnum case. I'll see what Jerry Miculek uses, he's pretty fast.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 12 September 2011

The reason many police outfits went from 2 inch or 2-1/2 inch barrels to 3 inch guns, such as the old FB I issue Model 10-6 and 10-8, and the later Model 13, was to get a full length ejector rod which would kick out the empties.

Lacking this you must used a vigorous eject stroke on the ejector, elevating the muzzle and smacking the ejector rod smartly with the heel of the palm, described by old time cops as “spanking the baby."

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

curiousgeorge posted this 12 September 2011

Over the years I saved all of the .38 special brass with cracks around the case mouth and have trimmed them back to .38 S&W length. A Forster trimmer in the drill press for the initial “hogging” off of brass, followed by a Lee trimmer makes work go pretty fast. I have used them in a S&W model 36 just for the reason you mentioned, quick ejection and a speedy reload with a 5-shot quick-loader.

I also tried the S&W once fired years ago. I was absolutely determined to make them work, even though they were too large right above the rim, even after sizing. I took a steel .38 special die, removed the decapping punch, and pushed them all the way up to the rim in my rock chucker with a flat insert instead of a shellholder. I used plenty of lube and a steel rod to knock them back out of the die. After about 10 cases, I started trimming the .38 specials down.

If you do decide to trim to make the .38 S&W length, try to avoid .357 magnums and the +P or the old HV cases. The reduced internal capacity makes it difficult to seat bullets, especially something 158 grs or longer.

I now have several hundred of my “bonus” short cases that would have been thrown away due to the neck cracks that keep my Model 36 running smooth when I want to show off a quick reload.

Steve

Attached Files

CB posted this 12 September 2011

There was a run of Security Sixes made for a Police Dept in India that were chambered in 38 S&W. That's probably what you were seeing. Some IPSC & ICORE revolver shooters use 38 Short Colt brass to speed up their reloads. I'm not at the skill level where an extra .0001 of a second would be significant, so I've never tried it myself. I'm one of those guys who finds comfort in factory ammo for self-defense, so there's no help there either.

Attached Files

Ervin posted this 14 September 2011

I have never tried to adapt other clibers to 38 S&W but I am lucky to own, from many years ago, two Rugers in 38 S&W, in Police Service Six 4” and a Speed Six, 2.75 “. They are from a Ruger over run on an India contract.

Attached Files

curiousgeorge posted this 14 September 2011

Ervin, I remember Skeeter Skelton mentioning those guns and the ones that Ruger made in 9mm when he was writing about modifing his Speed Sixes.

Just a question about bore size. Have you slugged it and if so, what did you get? I remember slugging a Security Six from the early 80's and getting a .354 - .355 measurement. I was a little surprised at being so small, but the gun shot great.

Attached Files

Ervin posted this 14 September 2011

Not yet but I will post when I do. Ervin

Attached Files

shastaboat posted this 15 September 2011

The reason 38 S&W factory rounds will not chamber in a 38 spl is because the factory case diameter is .386. 38 spl case diameter is.378/.379. If you size fired 38 S&W cases in a .38 spl die they will work as long as the cast bullet diameter allows them to chamber without bulging the case.

Because I said so!

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 24 September 2011

I would be reluctant to load .38 S&W brass heavier than factory loads. Shorter cases when stuffed full of powder (such as 9mm) operate at chamber pressures about twice that of standard pressure .38 Special. So, you cannot safely use 9mm or .38 Super data as a guide, because you have no idea what the pressure and velocity will be, or if the round would be safe and accurate when firing a short round resulting in greater bullet jump when fired in the standard chamber.

While it is logical to think that chamber pressure would be reduced by firing a short round in a longer chamber, because a poor gas seal would result by firing an unsupported .358 bullet down the length of a longer .38 Special or .357 chamber, this is not always true. When I was at Ruger we did some testing with a short rimmed round called the 9mm Federal, which was essentially a rimmed 9mm Parabellum for use in revolvers without the clip. At that time the company was also building 9mm revolvers for the French police, and .380/200 British revolvers for India, as well with experimenting with a hybrid chamber for a government customer who wanted the ability to use 9mm Parabellum, 9mm Largo or .38 Super, with clips, or .38 Special +P without the clips.

This pipe dream did not work out, because when using fast-burning powders with soft bullets, including most JHP designs for 9mm, the bullet base may upset to conform to the .379” diameter chamber mouth, resulting in a steep pressure rise of over 10,000 psi as the upset bullet base had to squeeze down again as it transitioned into the smaller diameter ball seat in the front end of the cylinder. While the result was not dangerous when firing lower powered ammunition such as .38 S&W or .380/200 British, it was more interesting with 9mm Parabellum, 9mm Federal, and .38 Super.

So my advice is NOT to load short rounds for your .38 or .357 unless you either stick to .38 Long Colt or .38 S&W pressure levels not to exceed about 14,000 psi, or you have access to pressure test equipment or lab tested data to ensure that there are no unpleasant surprises.

Instead, it is better to load full-charge .38 Special wadcuttter ammo which uses its case length effectively. For revolver use seat out wadcutter bullets, instead of flush seating, as is normally done for factory target loads which must fit into target auto pistol magazines.

I seat my Saeco #348s out so that its front band or bevel is outside the case mouth. This gives better bullet alignment which aids accuracy than flush seated, in most cases. I load these as-cast and unsized, tumbled in Lee Liquid Alox. As-cast bullet diameter is .360", we use the Lee Factory Crimp die in the final die station on the Dillon machine so all rounds are full-length profiled, and bullets are sized by compression inside the case, rather than by shear in a die.

Best accuracy is obtained with thin mouthed “wadcutter” brass, originally used for factory target loads, because these result in less bullet deformation, but ordinary service load brass can be used, with slight loss of accuracy which won't be noticed at ranges less than 50 yards. Crimp Remington HBWC component bullets no more than needed to remove mouth flare. Harder cast bevel-based or DEWC bullets may be roll crimped in their crimp groove, if the bullet has one.

Bullet seating depth must be adjusted so that all rounds chamber fully without resistance, which might cause rounds to drag against the recoil shield, causing hard cylinder rotation in DA firing. The Saeco #348 double-end bevel base when crimped in its crimp groove fits standard .38 chambers and ensures perfect alignment. The exposed band with slight base chamfer aids reloading when using speed loaders. Our Dillon machine is adjusted to give 1.225” OAL with the Saeco #348, which chambers freely in a variety of Colt, Ruger and S&W revolvers. The double-end, bevel base design can be loaded with the sprue-cut forward, so that you always have a perfect base for best accuracy.

For “standard pressure” .38 Special full charge wadcutter loads with cast DEWC bullets which approximate the velocity and energy of the old 158-grain RN service load, safely useable in any sound .38 Special revolver - including light alloy frames such as the S&W Airweight or Colt Agent and Cobra, load 3.5 grs. of Bullseye, 4.2 grs. of W231 or 4.5 grs. of Unique with either a double-end cast wadcutter such as the Saeco #348, or swaged bevel -based wadcutters from Speer, etc.

Cast bullets may be as soft as 8 BHN or 1:25 tin/lead or 50-50 plumbers lead and wheelweight with only enough tin added, about 1%, to get good fillout. Velocity will be about 850 f.p.s. in a 4 inch revolver and approach 900 in a 6 incher. A very useful general-purpose load. Your mileage may vary.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 26 September 2011

Along those lines I recall reading an article about shooting a '9mm rimmed' in a Ruger Blackhawk .357/9mm convertible. IIRC the guy was trimming worn out .38 Sp. cases to 9mm length and shooting them in the Blackhawk 9mm cylinder. Mostly just for the heck of it, I guess. I'm reaching my saturation point with so much info to try to remember. Yesterday the mailman brought my new Handloader Magazine and The Fouling Shot. The Handloader has a good story about the 9mm Federal and TFS has another good article by Ed on the wadcutter in .38 Sp. defensive ammo.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 27 January 2013

Yesterday I cast up a bunch of Ranch Dog TL 359-100 RFs. They are intended for a .380 acp but as cast they are .360 with my ww/boat ballast alloy so am going to give them a whirl in a .38 and .357. I'll even try them in a Marlin 1894c .357 carbine. These little cuties are plain base and 10 lbs. of lead gives a lot of bullets. I'm thinking of mimicing Hornady's 'Critical Defense' load for the .38 Sp. which are 110 grs. The RD designs feature large meplats so may have some potential for small game and/or self defense. I've found load data for down to 90 gr. bullets in the .38 so have a starting point. Anybody else played with this RD bullet?

Attached Files

Chargar posted this 27 January 2013

I don't think they are made any more, but Miester sold swaged WC bullets that run .358 on the body and a wide band .353 above the crimp ring. This allows the bullet to slip easy in a revolver cylinder throat.

They are hollow base, and that gave me a little concern about shooting them at service velocities for fear of blowing off the skirt. But the hollow base is more robust than Speer and other HBWC so I have it a try. I have fired a thousand of these behind 3.5/Bullsye. I do fire these in wadcutter brass and use a long RCBS expander so I won't crush the HB in seating the bullet.

I think they would make a cracker jack sixgun defense load as suggested by Ed Harris.

I have about a thousand of these left and I use them sparingly. I have never done any accuracy testing, but they seem to do as well as any other store bought wadcutter.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 29 January 2013

You can load the Remington component HBWC bullets in .38 Special brass with 3.5 grs. of Bullseye or 4 grs. of W231 without blowing the skirt. Also OK with the older Winchester component bullets if you have any, to get a “full charge” wadcutter, but accuracy is not as good as with 3.0-3.2 grains of Bullseye or 3.4-3.6 grs. of W231. Don't try full charges with other brands of HBWCs swaged from softer alloy or with thinner skirts, Star, Speer, Hornady or Precision Delta, because they WILL blow.

Attached Files

CB posted this 30 January 2013

Many of the IPSC & ICORE shooters load powder puff loads in 38 Long Colt brass to speed up their reloads. The loads have to be pretty light to avoid mishaps.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 31 January 2013

Standard flush seated “target wadcutter” charges, as you would load in .38 Special brass, are OK in .38 Long Colt brass with the 140-150-gr. Cowboy bullets at minimum 1.40” OAL:

2.5 of Clays or TiteGroup, 2.7 of Red Dot or 700-X, 3.0 of Bullseye or Green Dot, 3.5 of W231 or SR7625 or 4.0 of Unique or PB.

Attached Files

Close