Loads for Colt Police Positive Special 32-20

• 4.5K Views
  • Last Post 04 September 2012
Old Ranger posted this 10 August 2011

I just traded into a Colt 32-20. 4 inch barrel in excellant condition. 32-20 reloading data for revolvers is not too common. I have both Lyman moulds designed for 32-20. 31108 and 311316GC. Have found some data for 231, HP38, Unique and Trail Boss. Haven't slugged the bore but a 311 bullet will pass through chambers, a 312 will not.

Any suggestions what to start with? Looking for an accurate plinking load which will go easy on the old Colt

I have ordered a set of RCBS cowboy dies. I have some experience loading 25-20 so I know about thin case necks etc.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 10 August 2011

Congratulations on your new Colt! You have the smallest and lightest 32/20 revolver ever made, but they are noted for being very accurate.

I shoot lots of both those bullets, but mostly '316 in revolvers because my S&W's require 0.313” bullets and my 311008 mould cast lino-type bullets at .311", too small.

The most accurate plinking load I have ever found is 3.0 grains of Bullseye with the biggest and softest (1/2 WW's and 1/2 lead) bullet that will chamber.

PM me with your email address and I will send on an article I wrote for the Fouling Shot a few years ago on the 32/20.

Best wishes,

Ric

Attached Files

salvadore posted this 25 November 2011

I have a OP in 32/20 with .314 chambers. I loaded up a bunch of hollow based wadcutters over a forgotten powder. The thing I like about it is I have fired 2 or 3 hundred rounds down range and the bore is still squeeky clean.

Attached Files

salvadore posted this 25 November 2011

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm297/farcla/shooter2.jpg

this one

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 25 November 2011

That looks like a nice clean OP. My only Colt is an Army Special, good group shooter, but not to point of aim.

Attached Files

PETE posted this 25 November 2011

. I own one of the Army Specials to in .32/20, and like Ric says it's fairly accurate but shoots a coupla inches to the right at 50 ft. Picture of how it shoots offhand is posted on the Practical Pistol thread. Just got a set of original grips for it so will be shooting in the upcoming Postal Match.

As Old Ranger mentions I also bought the set of RCBS Cowboy dies since I wanted the expander die thatccame with them.

Pete

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 25 November 2011

Your 3.4 grs. of Bullseye with #3118 would be OK in an Official Police with heat treated cylinder, but not in the older Army Special or Police Positive. I would expect it's 20,000 psi similar to .32 H&R Magnum. Rics recommended 3.0 grs. should be fine in any sound .32-20.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

PETE posted this 26 November 2011

Ed,

I assume your talking to me altho I'm not using the 3118 bullet if you'll re-read my message. The 3118 that I do have weighs 15 grs more than the NEI I'm using. Checking on my serial number my gun was one of the last Army Special marked guns and made in 1927. I'll assume it was made with proper materials and heat treating if necessary.The serial number indicates it was made up on a later frame with a barrel marked “Army Special". My info states that this same frame was used on every medium frame revolver up to the Python model.

I will agree that those made before 1900, during the black powder era might be suspect and extreme care should be used in determining when your Army Special was made.

Pete

PS:- On further reflection I erased the load that I posted in my last message. Most of the guns I shoot are Pre-1900 and I take a great deal of care in researching and working up loads. Altho I believe the load I listed is safe in MY gun, I have no idea what condition others might be. I'll also know better in the future to post any lload.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 26 November 2011

With 100-grain bullet you should be OK with 3.4, and if serial number indicates 1927, frame and cylinder are probably heat treated. Barrels were made and rollmarked ahead and it is common to have an older barrel on a later frame.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

PETE posted this 26 November 2011

Ed,

Thanks for the confirmation, but pprobably refrain from giving loads for gun models that can't be identified as being safe. As I mentioned I researched my particular gun and started out very low and worked up to loads I won't mention. The load I mentioned was both accurate and shot to point of aim.

But here's a question you might be able to answer for me. Pressure signs in rifles are easy to see and feel.But what about revolvers? Outside of cratered primers and maybe sticky ejection, about all I can think of would be certain to know the era the gun was made in. But that necessitates knowing more about a particular model that most would know how to find out. Anything in your experience you could add?

Pete

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 27 November 2011

In revolvers you can only make a fair estimate knowing the type of steel and heat treatment. In annealed plain carbon steel which will not register on Rockwell “C” scale, such as older S&W Hand Ejectors and Victory models which are typically 75-80Rb, don't exceed 14,000 psi.

Heat treated 1045-1050 carbon steel which registers Rc20 or better as used post-war S&W, and Colt “D” frame are OK to 16-18,000 psi, in the larger Official Police or S&W “N” frame to about 22,000 psi max., such as for .45 ACP and .38 Special +P.

When in doubt find a gunsmith with a Rockwell tester.

Attached Files

PETE posted this 27 November 2011

Ed,

I figured there would be a fly in the ointment. If I was still working I could take the cylinder and stripped down frame in work. and get the testing done.

Mostly I think anyone fooling around with guns made before 1900 better do a lot of research before shooting the gun.

One of the worst things to happen to muzzleloaders was when they started making them to shoot smokeless powder. Those old guns just won't take it and it wouldn't surprise me if several haven't been blown up due to some idiot thinking if you can do it in a new one you should be able to do it in an old one too.

Pete

Attached Files

rjmeyer314 posted this 04 August 2012

I have a Colt Police Positive Special in 32-20 with a 4” barrel. I've tried a few different loads, all with 115 grain cast SWC bullets from the Laser-cast people (Oregon Trail Bullet Company. Here are my group sizes (center to center) for 5 shot groups shot off sandbags at 25 yards: 3.6 gr HP-38 4.76" 6.5 gr Blue Dot 1.535" 5.0 gr SR4756 5.664" 4.5 gr Unique >6.0" 4.2 gr W231 5.585" 3.0 gr Bullseye 2.636"

I have settled on 6.5 grains of Blue Dot for the moment. If I try more powders I will try Acurate Arms Corp #7 and #9. I have had good luck with these in other low capacity cases. For example, I like 6.6 gr of AAC #7 with a 90 gr cast Lyman 31950 in my 8mm Nambu.

Attached Files

TonyT posted this 04 September 2012

Years ago I purchased a Colt Army Special with mint bore and chambers bwhich had been reblued. For some reason I could never get any decent accuracy with the Lyman #3118. I finally sold the gun. I did use the #1118 in an old Winchester 1873 with excellent results and currently use it in a S&W 16-4 chambered in 32 H&R Mag..

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 04 September 2012

Most #3118 molds cast. 311-.312, whereas I have seen Army Special cylinder throats as large as. 316” in which case the as-cast and unsized bullet of soft 10BHN alloy needs to be at least. 315 to shoot well. My old pre-WW2 mold drop. 315” and is a true “.32” revolver mold, but postwar Lyman reduced band diameter becauss rifle shooters complained.

Attached Files

Close