Thinking about a big bore pistol cal rifle

• 5.3K Views
  • Last Post 03 April 2013
gundownunder posted this 24 June 2011

I've got a 32-20 Marlin and a 357 Marlin but what I need is a big bore for 200 yd silhouette and the opportunity to hunt camels could arise also.

My 357 has accuracy issues with cast bullets and also rings 200 yd rams too regularly for my liking, and camels can weigh up to 1000 lb so are well outside the 357s ability

I am thinking a 44 mag or 45 colt would be easier to reload and easier on my clapped out shoulder than a full rifle caliber like 45-70 etc, and would have the oomph out to 200 yds.

Would one of them be more accurate than the other with cast bullets?

Has anyone got one of the new model 92 Winchesters (which I assume are made in Japan). I can pick up a new one for under $1000 here in Oz and that's not a bad price for a rifle over here. What are they like as a dedicated cast bullet gun?

Looking forward to some suggestions here, thanks

Bob

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
6pt-sika posted this 24 June 2011

When I ran lever action silhouette matches at my home club , the majority of folks used a 30-30 or a 44 MAG !

And of those two I would say more folks used the 44 so they could shoot it in the Big Bore and Pistol Catridge class .

Personally if I was gonna be shooting 1/2 ton camels I'd be thinking 444 or 45-70 . You can load the 444 down to 44 MAG velocities but you cannot load the 44 MAG up to 444 velocities .

Also personally if it were me and I could “only” get a 44 MAG or 45 Colt I'd go with the 44 but in a Marlin 1894 .

Attached Files

1kshooter posted this 24 June 2011

I could not agree more with 6pt Sika, I would opt for a .444 or 45-70 gov as has been said you can load them down to what ever you are comfy with! ....if you have any friends with them that cast ...you really have to try a 45-70 load with 400-500gr bullet over 13-15gr of Unique feels like a light 410ga and hits like a 338Lapua at the 200yard line! I am thinking of adding a 44mag marlin just for super cheap plinking and ground hog hunting!

I bought the 45-70 for up close and personal bear hunting as the bears in the area although they are black bears are getting very bold ...I have had 400lb boars come up to ten feet from me out of season while doing preseason scouting and baiting stands!

I have had one get real ugly and followed me for the 600yard walk back to the road where I was to be picked up ...snaping it;s gums and breaking branches and doing what sounded like false charging just out of site about twenty paces away in the thick impenetrble brush...I was glad I had that I had three flashlights and a fully charged .375Win mag!

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 24 June 2011

I have had both the .45 colt and .44 mag in Winchester and Marlin rifles. When I loaded them up near max they kicked. The rifles are light and the recoil gets a little snotty with the little butt stocks.

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 24 June 2011

:coffee     I've been looking at the 44mag/44 special Marlin myself.  Since getting a Ruger Flattop in 44 special, I've become very fond of 44 Special.  Already, I can hit silhouette rams at 100 meters with the Flattop.  It really makes me wonder what I could pull off with a 44 Marlin.

The pistol: http://www.ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkBlued/specSheets/5233.html>http://www.ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkBlued/specSheets/5233.html

Balance is superb and shoots as well at 100 as it does at 15 yards. But, I'm really dreaming about: http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/1894Centerfire/1894.asp>http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/1894Centerfire/1894.asp

If pictures help, there's the all time favorite duo.  You can do it in Stainless Steel but, I like my blued steel and walnut the best.

Ron

Attached Files

1kshooter posted this 23 July 2011

go for the 44mag marlin1894 about as much fun as you can have with your pants on lol

Attached Files

jhrosier posted this 24 July 2011

I don't know if you could get one in OZ, but the NEF Handi Rifle in .500 S&W packs a good wallop.

Jack

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 24 July 2011

THE most fun gun I own is a .357 Mag Marlin lever. But, if you're looking bigger - I have the .44 Mag and another .45 LC in the Win Trapper. Short stroke is an issue, .45 is smoother (sample of 1 doesn't say much though.) Also have the .444 in a Win 94. Limitation is of course the bullet selection (compared to the .45's).

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 24 July 2011

TRK wrote: Also have the .444 in a Win 94. Limitation is of course the bullet selection (compared to the .45's).

What limitation ?

I got a pile of GC molds for the 444 from 207 grains to 400 grains !

And about half of them will work in a 44 MAG !

Attached Files

CB posted this 24 July 2011

Of the two calibers you listed, I'd go with the 44 magnum. First of all, the 44 case has a more pronounced rim for the extractor to grip. On a nice clean range, this probably wouldn't be an issure, but add a bit of sand & dirt and this could be an issue. I seem to recall early 45 Colt lever guns having issues with the extractor slipping off the case rim. Bullet selection is also borderline incredible for the 44, but the 45 is only slightly behind, if at all. For hunting large beasties like a camel, I too would seriously look at the 444, or perhaps the 307 or 356 Winchester if you can find one.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 24 July 2011

There's a new pump action carbine in .500 S&W, I don't recall the manufacturer.

Attached Files

docbob posted this 24 July 2011

Bobdownunder, I'd opt for the .44 mag. It's available in various rifles(carbines) and has quite a bit of punch. A 240-250 bullet will shoot thru a lot of stuff, and You can go heavier or lighter. I have a rebarreled '94 Winchester with a heavy 28” barrel and it'll reach out and smack something quite hard @ 200 yards. Also have an old 3 screw Ruger Super blackhawk that's hard to beat. I don't know how close You can get to a camel but I'd think if You got within 75 to 100 yards, he'd be in trouble. Just my two cents worth. Good luck, Docbob

Attached Files

Vassal posted this 25 July 2011

I wish I had a LATHE!!! I have thought very seriously about putting a 500SW barrel on a Mosin Nagant action. The rims are the same size (literally jsut a few thou. off!) and, from what I can tell, if you stuck TIGHTLY to max published loads you should have no trouble with the Mosin action. as far as magazine,,, well that would take some real modification, but a single shot would be easy. Please do THAT and tell me how it went:D

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 25 July 2011

Maybe the MN barrel could be rebored.

Attached Files

MauserMusicMan posted this 22 March 2013

I have a .45 colt Rossi 92 that REALLY works as advertised. I did a lot of sanding and finishing to get the Winchester 92 forend look (slimmer where it meets the barrel) and some tru-oil, etc. Looks really nice now and shoots the Lee .452-255 round/flat nose over 9 grains of Unique very well. I highly recommend the .45... You can load it with those shiny copper store-bought boolits WAY up there or keep it in the “even-little-kids-want-to-shoot-it” velocity range. This should do very nicely on deer...I won't have to make another measured 104 yard shot with my iron-sighted S&W 629 and .44 special JHPs again like I did in December. Wow... I still can't believe that happened. Doesn't say much for my range-estimating abilities... This should be easier to hit 'em with when they're way out there! Go for it... bigger IS better!

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 22 March 2013

Well we never did hear back from gundownunder. Wonder why? I know I'd love to go over there on safari in the outback, shoot some cast bullets, maybe get a camel. We have a member here that shoots them with a .375 H&H using cbs, IIRC. Anyway, what's wrong with a Marlin 336 .35 Remington?  Been around a long time, still going. Ranch Dog's story “The Hundred Year Hunter” got me, had to get one. I love it, it's a keeper.

Attached Files

R Dupraz posted this 22 March 2013

The Win. 1892 .357 is accurate and pleasant to shoot with 160 gn cast bullets. Easy on the shoulder. If you are talking cowboy lever silhouett, it will take down everything except the 50# rams at 200. They are iffy at best with the .357M.

RD

Attached Files

bluedog posted this 02 April 2013

Down under- .44 mag with 240 gr fn plain base and 21.6 grs of IMR 4227 gives 1500 fps in a 20” barrel and delivers a serious thump and is very accurate in my 94 Marlin with micro- grove rifling.200 yd rams are going down every time they get hit and nothing in the lower 48 will contain the projectile.Recoil is not an issue even for my 70 yr old shoulder The 45 doesn't have enough rim ,I never seem one yet that was 100 % on extraction . Best regards- Bluedog

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 03 April 2013

H&R Handi-Gun is best bang for the buck. Mine shoots 3” at 100 yds. in. 44 Mag. with any decent cast load from 200 to 300 grains. Not X-ring bench quality, but certainly adequate for subsistance hunting, recreation and utility uses.

For cheap shooting 7 grains of Bullseye at 1000 rounds per pound, giving 1200 fps with 260-grain Saeco #441 bullet cast of soft scrap, shot as-cast, unsized, tumble-lubed in Lee Liquid Alox, 30+ inches of water jug penetration and you can eat up to the bullet hole.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 03 April 2013

But is it a camel gun? You can get a 45-70 barrel w/sights mounted on your Handi frame for about $150 all told and have it in 3-4 weeks, in my experience. What if you run into a rogue camel? You need a stopper.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 03 April 2013

Full-up LBT shaped 300 grainers in a .44 Magnum rifle should do camels.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 03 April 2013

The H&R Handi, as Ed says is a good buy. I just bought one in .444 Marlin & I'm having a ball with it!

Pat

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Close