Wheel Wieghts

• 2.5K Views
  • Last Post 09 April 2012
milboltnut posted this 18 June 2011

What BHN is WW after water quenching?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
pat i. posted this 18 June 2011

From the mould casting at 780 degrees I get about 19 or 20.

Attached Files

So you don't quench... ok. The clip on WW are harder than the stick on ones, aye?

Attached Files

pat i. posted this 18 June 2011

milboltnut wrote: So you don't quench... ok. The clip on WW are harder than the stick on ones, aye? What the heck does that mean???? I wouldn't have answered your question if I wasn't talking about quenching so once again. When I drop my WW bullets from the mould into a bucket of cool water the BNH is 19 or 20 after a day of aging. I cast at around 780 degrees and mostly use aluminum moulds although do the same thing with cast iron at the same temperature. If I drop them from the mould onto a towel they age out to about 10 or 11 BNH and If I HT them in a toaster oven set at 440 degrees for an hour and get them into a bucket of water as fast as possible they harden to a BNH in the mid 30s after a day. And yes I do believe the clip on weights are harder than the stick on......................ok.

Attached Files

I was told the clip on were harder thanks.

Attached Files

CB posted this 18 June 2011

Pat,

I get about the same results that you do, currently I am planning on adding a little sulfur to see if that will help harden the alloy some. But with all casting, it doesn't have to be hard to be a good bullet. Some of my bullets are made from WW alloy with some extra pure lead to soften them. I use those bullets for hunting with my surplus well loved rifles.

Jerry

Attached Files

Paul Pollard posted this 18 June 2011

Attached Files

CB posted this 18 June 2011

Paul,

So what does it taste like?

Jerry

Attached Files

raytear posted this 18 June 2011

RE: stick on wheelweights softer than clip on ones

I believe that could be true since the clip-on weights are already shaped to roughly match the rounded contour of the rim. The stick on ones are usually placed on a portion of the wheel where the diameter is more variable from wheel to wheel and do seem easier to mark with a fingernail FWIW.

Happy Father's Day to all you male parents out there. One of the things I am looking forward to in retirement is to be with our kids and grandkids for guy-centered activities during outings on days like Father's Day.

Good shooting! RT

Attached Files

cat1870 posted this 20 March 2012

I have been told that the stick-on weights are pure lead. Is this so?

Bullets cast from WW and dropped right into a bucket of water usually measure 14/15 on my LBT hardness tester. If dropped onto a soft towel and allowed to cool they then measure 8/9 on my LBT tester...... This after 24 hrs.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 20 March 2012

"Pure” lead? No. But as you noted softer than cast wheel weights. Stick-ons, at least the ones out here in the PNW, are still extruded and have two sided sticky tape for aluminum wheels. The cast ones are any scrap that will melt in the machine.

Attached Files

cat1870 posted this 20 March 2012

I have a few pail fulls of these sticky WWs. How good are they for bullets? I should have more clear here. How good will these be for BPCR bullets.. “Black Powder used, of course."

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 21 March 2012

Stick on WW's are basically pure lead, and as such are only good for paper patched bullets, Very low velocity bullets, or Black Powder projectiles.

If you are going to load them to modern handgun or higher velocities you need to add Tin and Antimony to the melt. (SEE ALLOYING)/

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

cat1870 posted this 21 March 2012

I didn't say.....but I want to use these lead strips for bullets in my BPCR's with black powder....

Thanks

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 21 March 2012

Cat, should work just fine. Ric

Attached Files

cat1870 posted this 21 March 2012

Thanks, Gonna give them a try sometime this spring...

Attached Files

billglaze posted this 09 April 2012

I was curious about the water-dropping method, so I measured the BHN of the same batch of bullets, some of which had not been water dropped, and the majority which had been water-dropped. The BHN of the non-water dropped bullets was 11. After water-dropping, the number seemed to be ~15, some a little more, some less. But 15 seemed to be a pretty good number.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is. My fate is not entirely in Gods hands, if I have a weapon in mine.

Attached Files

Close