450-400 2 3/8" Nitro in a Martini.

• 4.4K Views
  • Last Post 19 July 2012
30-30 Wesson posted this 27 April 2011

G'day folks,

I haven't posted anything on here for a while now and I thought that some may be interested in a new project that I'm working on. It's built on a large frame Martini Henry action, will be takedown and has been chambered in 450-400 2 3/8” Nitro. This little cartridge started out as a black powder round, then Nitro for Black and then Nitro, going from a 275g lead bullet to a 400g Jacketed. The round is the right length to feed into the MH action, being roughly the same OAL as the original 577-450 MH. The projectile I'll be using is one from an RCBS mould .40-300-SP-CSA cast in WW alloy.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 27 April 2011

That looks like a fun rifle cartridge! Keep us posted. Ric

Attached Files

Nrut posted this 14 May 2011

Interesting cartridge.. What are you using for brass?

Attached Files

30-30 Wesson posted this 15 May 2011

Nrut, I'm using Bertram brass correctly head stamped. $99 Aud / 20 and yes, it is an interesting cartridge. As soon as I get the chance to shoot it at a target, I'll post some more on it.

Attached Files

cooper posted this 31 May 2011

Have you compared that cartridge to a 40/90 Sharps Bottleneck?

I have a Shiloh in 40/90 BN.  Cases are 2 5/8” long and the overall “shape” is very similar to your photo.

I use both Bertram 40/90 cases and also reformed Starline 45/100.

Attached Files

30-30 Wesson posted this 01 June 2011

Hi Cooper, I've looked at a lot of different cartridges and I think it comes closest to the 40-70 Sharps straight in case volume and so on. I've used some of the load data for that round in the Lyman #4 manual. I filled it to the bottom of the neck with FF and measured 65g.

Attached Files

30-30 Wesson posted this 02 June 2011

An update guys.

This is something I've been wanting to do for a long time and that is make a takedown rifle.

The Martini already has a recess at the front of the action, so I thought I would use that to lock it. First a block had to be machined to fit the barrel shank and take the sliding dovetailed tongue.

Once the mechanism was working well, I screwed and soldered the lock block to the barrel shank.

I've got 40 rounds loaded for a shoot this weekend and we will see how it goes. It had better work as I'll have lots of witnesses.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 02 June 2011

That should work quite well! Thanks for sharing!

Attached Files

30-30 Wesson posted this 07 June 2011

The shoot went well, on Sunday, but it had a bit of trouble with poor ignition a couple of times. The rounds were stored upside down and there is a little more than half a case of AR 2207 ( IMR 4227 ) behind the PB 310g wheel weight alloy bullet. The targets we were shooting at were charging elephant, three of them set one each at 75,50 & 25yds. You had to fire 6 shots in 35 seconds placing two in each target, starting with the 75yd one. One shot was delayed a half a second and missed the target altogether, the other one failed to fire and stuck the bullet about 2” up in the bore. I dismantled the rifle and got the stuck bullet out quickly and the Range Officer kindly let me shoot the match again. On my own, with about 20 witnesses. :-( I stood the rounds upright on the bench and loaded them with the rifle pointed at the sky. They worked this time and I got the required six shots off in 32 seconds, scoring a 9, an 8 and a 9. I'm waiting on some pure wool wads to arrive and will be using them in the next loads. I have tried a slower powder ( to get more in the case ) but it doesn't burn properly, leaving lots of debris. I had to fit a lower front sight to the rifle, as it was shooting about a foot low at 50m.

Attached Files

30-30 Wesson posted this 13 June 2012

It has been a few months, but it's finally finished. Enjoy. :D

Attached Files

docbob posted this 18 July 2012

TONY, NOW THAT'S A BEAUTIFUL RIFLE AND A CLASSIC LOAD AS WELL. I HAVE A RUGER NO.1 IN .405 WINCHESTER THAT HAS BEAUTIFUL WOOD BUT MAN, YOURS IS SHARP! CHEERS

Attached Files

30-30 Wesson posted this 19 July 2012

docbob wrote: TONY, NOW THAT'S A BEAUTIFUL RIFLE AND A CLASSIC LOAD AS WELL. I HAVE A RUGER NO.1 IN .405 WINCHESTER THAT HAS BEAUTIFUL WOOD BUT MAN, YOURS IS SHARP! CHEERS

Thanks Doc:)

It's a joy to shoot as well and I'm going to try out a red dot sight on it, to see if it improves my scores. 61yo eyes and open sights, don't go together too well.

Attached Files

Webley posted this 19 July 2012

A very interesting project that turned out very well, indeed. Thank you for sharing.

Attached Files

Close