KROIL to the rescue!

• 3.8K Views
  • Last Post 19 December 2012
offhand35 posted this 30 March 2011

I KNOW that I had read somewhere on this fourm that someone had a mold that just was not casting good bullets, no matter what and used Kroil on it to make it work.  Well I had that situation with an old  Lyman 257042 single cavity mold for .257 FPGC bullets  that had been stored in motor oil.  I had cleaned it with ether , and thought I had it all dried out, but after approx.   80-100 attempts,  I was still getting wrinkles!!! I even smoked the mold with a match.....no help.

Then I recalled someone said something about applying a drop of Kroil on the mold, and it started behaving after that had smoked off. Well...what did I have to lose? I put a drop in the cavity of the hot mold, opened and closed it a couple times to spread it around, and put the mold back in the casting sequence with the other molds I was using.  With the single cavity, it wasn't costing me much extra time even if the bullets still didn't come out right. So I kept at it, and approx 50 wrinkled casts later, EVERY bullet after that   came out perfect!!!!

So I extended my session another hour to get a good number of these made up to play with!

THANKS!

:dude:

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
rhouser posted this 30 March 2011

I had a lyman roundball mold that wouldn't open after 2 years in storage. I tried a propane torch and was reaching for the plastic mallet when I regained my composure.

Kroil on the seams and in the sprue hole. 36 hours later the mold popped open with just the handles without pressure or a hitch. Mold casts perfectly. Kroil is for those things where my hammer really is a bad idea.

thanks rc

Attached Files

Adk Mike posted this 31 March 2011

My other hobby is Antique farm tractors. Kroil is the best thing for rusty bolts. I buy it by the Gallon. Great stuff.

Attached Files

primersp posted this 05 April 2011

try atf/acetone 50/50 on rusty bolt same efficacity but far more pricy

Attached Files

offhand35 posted this 05 April 2011

As it turns out, the forum that mentioned using KROIL to condition a recalcitrant mold was on a GBO casting forum sponsored by LBT, not here.
But now the suggestion is posted here as well.

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 08 April 2011

Kano Labs has an offer running right now: Buy one product and get a can of AeroKroil free. I ordered my usual pint and got the 10 oz spray free.

Attached Files

mklien posted this 11 December 2012

I use a product called “Slide". Its a release agent for snow removal equipment. I had a five gallon can in the garage and one day i gave it a try. The Kroil now sits on the shelf

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 11 December 2012

What did you find the “Slide” good for?

Is it sold in small quantities (perhaps under another name) and if so where? I am 79 and probably won't need five gallons.

Just thought of my bottle of “Slip 2,000". Is that the same as Slide? Slip is supposed to melt hard carbon fouling off gas operated shotgun parts. I thought it sounded like a likely bore cleaner but it didn't affect the hard C bore fouling I was getting at the time.

John

Attached Files

mklien posted this 11 December 2012

Slide keeps snow from sticking to snow plows, blowers and shovels. The vehicle in slide is methelene chloride which is a known carcinogen so i doubt its still available. The can i have was over 20 years old and has now been transferred to other containers due to rust. Its the best mould release I've ever worked with.

Attached Files

Sonny Edmonds posted this 15 December 2012

mklien wrote: Slide keeps snow from sticking to snow plows, blowers and shovels. The vehicle in slide is methelene chloride which is a known carcinogen so i doubt its still available. The can i have was over 20 years old and has now been transferred to other containers due to rust. Its the best mould release I've ever worked with. And no. You can't have some.... :D

I used some Kroil on a Q-tip to wipe a mold. It worked, after it stopped wrinkling. But I use it to clean guns. But I wound up back with a little candle smoke. And a tiny touch of candle wax gets my sprue swinging like a garden gate in a hurricane.

YMMV

Attached Files

mklien posted this 19 December 2012

The problem is its toxic and needs hazmat shipping. That's the only reason i never offered. Its akin to the old KIT car wax packages from the early 1970's that had a small towel in a foil lined package that was saturated with a wax and solvent. That's what i looked for initially but was told that it was discontinued for unknown reasons. Probably toxicity.

Attached Files

Close