TRAILBOSS AND THE "HARRIS" BULLET 7.62 X 54

• 2.5K Views
  • Last Post 05 September 2010
DAMRON G posted this 15 August 2010

I have been shooting 91-30 Nagants a bit lately and while i used to prefer heavier bullets the little NEI #72 or Lee 155 “Harris” has been doing the job.I shoot it as a plain-base with 11.0 of Trail Boss @ 1175 or 14.0g with a GC  @1450.The mold i use most is a 6 cavity NEI and even if i keep the wrinkled nose bullets they shoot very well.Target shown in 8 consecutive groups (7 @ 100 and 1 @ 200) Average was 1.04 for all groups out of an unmodified bedding Russian 91-30 with 6X scope.Win LP primers used bullets cast of WW and quenched,sized .313 and shot 8 hours later.

g

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes

typical groups with no GC

g

Attached Files

Webley posted this 15 August 2010

Thanks for the information.  I have been using 314299's over 5744 out of mine, and my groups are, well, bigger, though part of that is I am using the original iron sights.   .>

Attached Files

My 91-30 1934 hex receiver shoots the load well,but its a “see the sights” issue.It can shoot 1.5” with good light and “good eyeballs day",but its a lot of the 4 out of 5 shots good and one out to make it over 2” at 100.

i wouldn't bet my load over your 314299 with 5744,because that's a combo that's hard to beat!

Here are two targets shot today with the above mentioned iron sighted gun and the NEI #72.I shot three groups from the bench,these were the last two.First group was  lost for some reason and was about 2” wide and 4-1/2” tall ! Shot the last 35 offhand and  it wasn't as bad as i thought,but my eyes were all buggy after that.

g

Attached Files

Vassal posted this 17 August 2010

NIce groups. I had been working on my scoped Mosin with the LBT & 5744 load, trying to get ready for the regionals BUT it seems that the day of the regionals is the ONE day I can not do.:#::drillsgt::#: But I finally got it shooting!!!!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

SO perhaps I will try your load in the iron sighted Russian that wears a really nice laminate. I will report back with results when I make it to the range, BUT it may be awhile as I am in the middle of trying to plan for some gsmith work. (I'm hoping to rebarrel the Savage to 6.5 BPC {AKA Grendel} but having some problem getting info)

Nice Shooting.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 17 August 2010

Good shooting George. I'd like to see a picture of that gun. Scout scope or normal mount?

Attached Files

DAMRON G posted this 17 August 2010

ugly ATI scope bolt combo with nylon “Blackhawk” universal cheek piece solidly attached with drywall screws<grin>

Attached Files

DAMRON G posted this 17 August 2010

the NEI bullet

Attached Files

Vassal posted this 18 August 2010

Thats interesting. The point on the LEE version of that bullet is sharper (unless you blunt yours while sizing.) Nice job on the inletting for the bent handle by the way.                                      

drywall screws :shock:.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 18 August 2010

Thanks George, I'm looking at scope options for a refurb I got at Big 5. Nice looking bullets.

Attached Files

DAMRON G posted this 18 August 2010

Vassal wrote: Thats interesting. The point on the LEE version of that bullet is sharper (unless you blunt yours while sizing.) Nice job on the inletting for the bent handle by the way.                                      

drywall screws :shock:. The NEI #72 is the 7.62 x 39 bullet Ed designed originally.Lee decided to add a pointier shape when they came out with their version.Both bullets (NEI or Lee) shoot just as well,but the NEI is a 6 cavity so i use it more.

George

Attached Files

DAMRON G posted this 05 September 2010

Final addition to my scoped 91-30 by my 10 year old son.it was from a Halloween necklace he got from a buddy.I was glass bedding a rifle and he got the idea to glue  it to one of my rifles. i admit its childish and silly but i sort of like the looks i must say.it will scare the competition away he says<G>I need all  the help i can get.

George

Attached Files

Vassal posted this 05 September 2010

the funny part would be if you DID start to preform better. stranger things have happened. I know that making family proud is probably the number one motivator, (outside of spiritual beliefs).

Attached Files

Close