Powder Charge, Gas Checks & Cast Bullets

• 2.6K Views
  • Last Post 01 July 2011
dnorris posted this 27 May 2010

Hi every one. I would like to see if any one can help me with a powder charge for a .50 Cal. 260 grain R.E.A.L. cast bullet of wheel weights.  80 grains of Tripple 7 with a 270 Grain Sabot shoots okay, but 100 Grains makes it shoot a little wild.      I bought a Lee Mold and in the instructions that came with is recommends useing Alox lube. I was also wondering If I should use gas checks, since I really don't know the Feet Per Second. Any recommendations on bullet lube?

Thanks everyone.

D  Norris

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
billwnr posted this 27 May 2010

Is this a muzzle loader bullet? If so, it might be hard to put a gas check on it. It might be even harder to push it down the barrel.

Attached Files

dnorris posted this 27 May 2010

Yes it is a muzzle loader. I may not need gas check if it don't travel to fast. Thanks

Attached Files

Coydog posted this 28 May 2010

You use no gas checks on this since it is for muzzel loader.What lude do you use for shooting in that gun? You can ortherwise use Cresco Shortnen. I was told to use just veggie type make sure there is no salt product is in it.As for sighten it in you need to test fire to see what amount of powder you will have work for you.

Attached Files

corerf posted this 29 May 2010

WW is too hard. Use pure lead. Forget the gas cehck or anything else. Add a lubed felt wad below the bullet, lube the bullet well with TC bore butter or similar lube. Wheel Weights are WAY TOO hard. The real bullet has to be soft to engrave rifling.

Shoot from 60-100 of 777 and test for tightest group. Swab between shot till clean. Don't go more than 1 shot without cleaning. This will prove the load.

Also if this is a 1-28 twist barrel (inline or the like) the REAL is NOT going to shoot. REALS are designed for 1-48 and slower twist.

Hope that helps

Attached Files

Maven posted this 29 May 2010

D Norris, I don't know how you'd attach a GC to the base of a Lee REAL bullet.  The better way is to get a 1/2” arch punch and cut overpowder wads from tablet backing or ~1/8"  hard felt (Google Duro-Felt products if interested) and soak the latter in melted Crisco, drain and load over your powder charge followed by the REAL.  Speaking of which, 100 grs. (FFg?) may be excessive IF your bbl. is 28” and it is loose rather than in pellet form.  As for REAL's in a fast twist, I've never heard that one before, but the bigger issue may be how well they fit your bore.  E.g., I had 2 new REAL .50cal. molds (~250 grs.? & ~350 grs.?) and found they were too small for my Knight Bighorn.  Just for grins, I paper patched the heavier one and got an immediate improvement in accuracy.  You may wish to try that trick as well.  Lastly, the admonition never to use WW projectiles in ML's is practically an old wives' tale.  I know several shooters who do so with no ill effects.  Keep in mind, REAL's cast of WW's will be lighter and of slightly greater diameter than those cast of Pb.  If your bore is on the large size and the REAL smallish, by all means try WW's.  They cast more readily than Pb, btw, but I don't know how they perform on game. 

Attached Files

Daryl S posted this 23 November 2010

T-7, Pyrodex & white-shots are all composed with perchlorates in them - up to 17% of their volume.

Remember corrosive primers -  - perchlorates did it - this makes me wonder about the phoney black powders.

Attached Files

leadhead308 posted this 25 June 2011

I agree with those before me, ww to hard you must use pure lead for the REAL bullet mold , I coat with alox lube, and when ready to load I put bore butter on to help in pushing it down over 100 gr pyrodex pellets ( 2 x 50 gr )

Attached Files

1kshooter posted this 26 June 2011

I cast them from W/W and I just learned why they had to almost be hammered down the barrel!...i am going to empty the pot and cast some up with pure lead! Thanks!!

Attached Files

1kshooter posted this 26 June 2011

I will let you know how they shoot out of my Hawken! I could not bring my self to just empty the pot into ingots ...lol so i made some 45-70 bullets!

Attached Files

leadhead308 posted this 26 June 2011

I work in construction, hvac , and was in a doctors office being built , drywallers put up lead x-ray walls in wrong place and had to take out, I ended up with 125 lb.s pure lead, thats almost 2900 Lee REAL Bullets, im gonna need alot more blackpowder

Attached Files

1kshooter posted this 01 July 2011

that rocks...happy shooting bro!

Attached Files

Close