7.62x39 on Mauser 95 action

• 4.9K Views
  • Last Post 04 January 2011
Fg1 posted this 21 May 2010

Some time back I barreled a Mauser 93 in 7.62x39 . The extractor is a bit short . I tried relieving the extractor a bit on the inside so it would grab the rim but still not quite reliable and I dont want to go to thin and have it break off . The loaded rounds dont cycle real well as magazine is longer than the cartridges by quite a bit.

Im looking for suggestions from anyone that has built one of these on a mauser and how they solved this little annoyance . Im anxious to try this critter out the bullet nose fits the bore perfect just scratching uniformly against lands ! I have 20 loaded up with 16grs. of IMR 4227 .:fire

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Fg1 posted this 23 May 2010

Anyone conquered this ?

Attached Files

argie1891 posted this 24 May 2010

i have one of the mauser rifles that century arms re barreled to 7.62x39 i believe it is a model 95. never had a problem with the extractor. i will say it is a very accurate rifle have shot bullet weights from 100 gr. to 215 with good results it really likes the nei 72. joe gifford

if you think you have it figured out then you just dont understand

Attached Files

raytear posted this 24 May 2010

I had a Spanish FR-8 in 7.62 x 51. The Spaniards had put a block in the front of the magazine to hold the shorter cartridges to the rear. Had also shortened the follower and spring.

I would suspect one of the problems you are having is the smaller case head of the x 39. It doesn't bear tightly enough against the shoulder on the face of the bolt. And, as you say, the extractor's lip is a bit short for a case head of that smaller diameter.

I would guess that welding some additional metal onto the bolt face and the extractor lip, then reshaping them is the answer.

Attached Files

my rifle has a block in the mag. and the follower is cut down. i bet that is what you need. i could measure the block and follower if you need me to. joe gifford

Attached Files

lmcollins posted this 24 May 2010

I have only done bolt openings on M98's to turn them into magnums. I assume that the process for the bolt face would be the reverse of that. I.e. make a ring that is about .475 with its center bored out to fit the bolt face of the 7.62 x 39. I'd cut about 30% out of it, and Force 44 solider it in place. You'd have to make that open 30% or so into the propper feed chanel for the 7.62 x 39 round to come up from the magazine. ( 30% is just a guess, but most of the work would be done before solidering.)

I'd fix the extracter first by welding it up, and contoouring it to feed your new cartridge into it and hold it. Look at how the present bolt face holds an 06, 8mm, or 7mm. Use what ever you have.

As for the magazine box and follower: I think that I'd shorten up the follower and try shortening it up from the rear. Take a piece of wood and try it first after you've done the follower. You want to feed up onto the ramp, and that's why I'd try it from the back first.

I should think that the bolt work would be the most criticle, and time consuming.

Attached Files

Fg1 posted this 24 May 2010

Thanks guys ! I have the means to do this ! Think I have some force 44 and flux too.Never had to shrink a bolt before just the opposite ! argie1891, could you possibly get a picture of the magazine and block ?

Thanks , Frank

Attached Files

i will try to get a pic for you this evening. joe gifford

Attached Files

argie1891 posted this 25 May 2010

frank could you send my your e-mail address so i can send the mag. pics directly to you?? the block in the mag. is 3/4 inch long in the back of the mag and the follower has been shortened to 2.25 inches. sorry it took so long to get back to you but my wife is on vacation and wanted me to do yard work. what a bummer bullets to load guns to clean shooting to get done and she wants to do yard work. oh well she isnt that bad   for a girl. joe gifford [email protected]

Attached Files

Fg1 posted this 25 May 2010

Comin your way ! Thanks! Ya , sometimes the girls dont know what real priorities are !lol!:D  

Attached Files

argie1891 posted this 25 May 2010

you have that just think if she wouldnt have wasted all that money buying shoes for the kids and paying the light bill i could have bought a few more guns and bullet moulds.

Attached Files

lmcollins posted this 26 May 2010

Guys:

Don't keep the pictures to yourselves. Post them, or also send me a copy of them. I want to validate my judgement on what needs to be done for the next time.

[email protected]

Attached Files

Fg1 posted this 26 May 2010

I measured my follower and spring on the 93 and will be able to t rim it to length and have some .095 mild steel to make a block .

lm, heres the pics argie sent me.

Attached Files

lmcollins posted this 27 May 2010

If you look you'll note that you don't need a whole block of steal. Do what Remington does to make their medium ation into 222/ 223 length: just make a upside down “U” shapped piece with the top/bottom of the “U” squared. I.e. bend it over a file or something, and trim the bottom off it to give the correct height so the bolt slides over it.

Another thing to look at closely is whether or not the follower has been modified. Note how flat the upward projection is that pushes the top cartridge toward the right? What is your stock 1895 follower like? Tell us. Has it been modified?

Let us know! Let's us get technical!

Attached Files

Fg1 posted this 27 May 2010

lm , thats why I chose the .095 for the block . Be easy to form into a 'C' block form and strong enough to do whats needed. From what I figure , a little needs taken off back of follower and the front ends of spring both top and bottem need trimmed for follower to be moved forward. Ill turn a thin ring then cut the lower portion away to feed the cartridges and solder it in place after packing Heat Stop Paste on locking lugs of bolt as a precautionary measure.

Attached Files

lmcollins posted this 27 May 2010

I am still wondering if the follower needs to be modified, other than shortening from both ends.

Has it been modified by having the ridge that goes along its length decreased in height?. I'm thinking it looks like its height has benn lessened. I cannot remember what a Mod 95 follower looks like.  It will be interesting to see what works.

Attached Files

Fg1 posted this 27 May 2010

I was messing with some loads shooting today and noticed the rounds want to pop out of magazine on their own . So Ill have to add a piece of shimstock to the leading edge side of follower to keep enough of casing under bolt rail.Probably only .025-.030” needed as its close to staying put !

Attached Files

deltaenterprizes posted this 27 May 2010

I have a 95 in 7.62x39 and just ground down the part of the extractor that rides in the groove in the bolt so it would engage the extractor groove on the 7.62 x39 case head. Gun Parts sells a shortened follower and spring and a plastic block for about $16.

Attached Files

bdrake posted this 26 December 2010

I have a 7.62x39 on a Turk Mauser 98. I used the Brownells follower and magazine block as well. The rifle loads and ejects fine with the $16 parts and I enjoy tweaking loads with the little carbine.

Bruce

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 26 December 2010

Bruce Merry Christmas What did you sue for a barrel on your Mauser? Pictures? Jim

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 26 December 2010

I thought about this of and on today. It would be easier to convert a Mauser action to 30 BR. This would solve the case head size problem. Brass would be a little more expensive. I use 7MM BR to form my 30 BR cases. The steeper shoulder angle might make the feeding problem more difficult however.

I think a person can still buy the Yugo Mauser for a decent price. Most of them had bad barrels but that wouldn't matter in this case.

Attached Files

bdrake posted this 27 December 2010

Lefty,

I'm in Afghanistan so I can't throw pictures up. The barrel is a Wilson that was cut for a small ring action. I had it spun on a lathe to match the old barrel's diameter and I reapplied the original iron sights to keep it a simple knock about carbine. I then had the entire rifle reblued to match and it sits in the old Turk Stock that has been cut back to a simple sporter stock.

Bruce

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 27 December 2010

In Afghanistan! My thanks to you, sir.

Attached Files

bdrake posted this 31 December 2010

No problems.

I serve in the Army.

It pays the bills and I get to help people.

That Small Ring Mauser is a pleasure to shoot.

Bruce

Attached Files

raytear posted this 31 December 2010

bdrake,

BTW, in case we here have forgotten to tell you and all those who are serving with you: many, many thanks for going into harm's way on our behalf!

Many  members of CBA are veterans, myself included--11th Armored Cav, Viet Nam.

If no one else gets it, we do! And we pray for you and your families, and won't let “them” do to you what “they” did to too many of my comrades-in-arms.

Grace, peace, and Happy New Year! Ray Tear

Attached Files

Whitworth posted this 04 January 2011

I built a 7.62x39 on a M1894 Brazilian SR Mauser action. I bougth the kit GPC was selling for $99 at the time. It was the barrel (.300” x x.308") chambered and crowned, a nylon mag blocker and a plastic follower and spring. The later looked as if it'd been scavenged from an AK mag, withthe follower spring clipped off shorter.

This photo shows the ejector extension I MiG welded on the issue ejector. I also had to mill the guiderib in the left lug raceway a bit to get it to fit. It needed to kick the cases out earlier in the extraction process. Without it, the cases are pulled back far enough so that when ejected they can hit the right edge of the bridge and fall on the rounds in the magazine. It also shows the brass piece added to the follower to bias the last round over toward the right siderail. Otherwise, the narrower 7.62x39 case can pop out. 

The magazine filler block supplied had a habit of slidding forward under recoil so I removed the triggerguard from the stock, clamped the block in place then drilled and countersunk a hole through the back of the mag housing for a 1” #8 woodscrew. No more problems there.

The Lyman 3112847 @ 214 grs in the 7.62x39. It's engraved pretty well, eh :-)! I used a flat nosepunch trying to get it short enough to feed from the magazine of the Mauser, and it's JUST a tiny bit too long yet. The other slug is the Lee C312-155-2R. The heavy Lyman provides a use for bunch of surplus WC872 I have. The Lee shoots very well also. The rifle is a real delight with the Lee C309-113F so far as accuracy and recoil go. Doesn't feed real well.

(LEFT) 7.62x39 28.0 surp 4895, Lee C312-155-2R, 2018 fps (RIGHT) 7.62x39 Lyman 311359 & 29.0 WC846 + 2294 fps. These were fired at 50 yards. Alloy was whatever was in the pot (no hardness tester at the time) Javalina lube, Hornady GC's visually inspected slugs and thrown powder charges. That charge of surp 4895 fills the case just above the shoulder. Vibrating the case settles the charge enough so the bullet base just sets on it. It's turned out to be one fo the best loads I've found.

Rick   

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 04 January 2011

Rick,

Nice project and rifle! Great report and thanks for shareing with us!

Ric

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 04 January 2011

Wow. Now that's what I call a first post. Welcome aboard Rick.

Attached Files

Fg1 posted this 04 January 2011

Very nicely done ! Good looking and a shooter to boot !

Attached Files

Close