6.5 Grendel

• 1K Views
  • Last Post 04 September 2021
JohnForrest posted this 31 August 2021

So far the little bit of info. I've  found on CBA about Grendels has to do with smaller 100 grain bullets. 

Wondering if anyone has experimented with heavier cast for this caliber? I have a 163 grain mold I got to try with my Carcano and wondering if that might work with Grendel? 

Will be shooting in an AR gun so I have COAL concerns. Worry about getting bullet too far back into the case. Wondering what general rules apply. 

I've looked around the usual places for load data but little to none for 163 grain bullet so maybe not practical, just thought I might ask here and get lucky.

Might be a fun way to test out the idea of a bullet getting screwy coming out of sonic flight at a closer range.

Thanks,

John

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Brodie posted this 04 September 2021

Bullet molds are similar to Pellam capsules, paper clips, and other drawer filling stuff, they breed in the dark and don't let us in on it until their population has increased to the point that they think they can take over.  Paper clips grow up to become wire coat hangers which in turn replicate themselves.

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 03 September 2021

When I first started into the BPCR field of interest, someone said to me " welcome to the world of mold and rear sight collecting", after I bought my Sharps rifle. Well, the mold part was correct but so far I have only one rear sight (+$400) but the molds began increasing. Then I sold over (40) of them, retaining only the ones I really wanted. I have more smokeless molds than black powder molds but it was good to say goodbye to the seldom used molds.

Some addictions are challenging!

Tom

Attached Files

David Reiss posted this 03 September 2021

Yes, I need an intervention, 471 different molds, 109 reloading die sets and counting.....................

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • JohnForrest
JohnForrest posted this 03 September 2021

I consider myself a "very beginner" caster and I already have close to 20 molds. Ken I can't imagine how many you or some of the guys with a ton of different calibers have collected. The "whats your number"? comes to mind, just a different experience.

I think I'll try and start close to 123 and go up or down as I get a little experience. These darn shortages are frustrating.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 02 September 2021

how did you know i have an RCBS 26-140 FN ?? ....  i know my molds breed and multiply, but didn't know they also spread gossip ...

google it up and look at all the pretty pics ....  me being a lowly plinker, i don't know what the ultmate accuracy of these might be, but i find the general rcbs designs give ... " above average " groups .....

not for sale, but i might loan it if you beg ... cool

ken

Attached Files

JohnForrest posted this 01 September 2021

Molds in stock are a tough nut theses days. I did get a ,264 and 265 sizer ordered from Lee. I plan to open up the 264 to 266 if need be. Waiting for my fellow Iowan to see my need and tell me he has one for me.

Attached Files

MP1886 posted this 01 September 2021

John I think Saeco designed the perfect cast bullet for the 6.5 Grendel before the cartridge was even invented and that is their 140 grain bore rider.  The nose was a perfect fit for the bore of the Lothar Walther barrel that I had on my rifle.  I used 4198 powder which gave me around 1900 fps when near jacketed bullet accuracy.  It didn't have to seat deep in the case and the cartridges fit the magazines. The determining factor if this bullet will work for your rifle is your BORE dimensions in comparison to the nose diameter. The LW barrel and the bullet were a perfect match for one another.  My alloy was 50/50 water dropped.  I would have to adjust the powder charge between the two different cases I was using which were the Lapua small rifle primer case and the brass formed from large rifle primer 7.62x39 cases.  BTW that Saeco bullet has a BC of .295.  Like said if it fits your bore you can't find a better bullet.

Attached Files

Spindrift posted this 01 September 2021

No experience with the 6,5 Grendel, quite a lot with 6,5x55 commercial actions.

Two moulds come to mind, that have shot well with all my x55’s

The NOE266-126 is designed for the Grendel. It is not currently in stock. 

The Arsenal molds 266-92 shoots surprisingly well. Arsenal molds let you specify the size you want, and you can also ask for other modifications. You’ll probably have to wait a couple of months for a mould now.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Millelacs
JohnForrest posted this 01 September 2021

Thanks Bruce, might be a challenge? "Its a ugly little slug" GB

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • bdrake71
bdrake71 posted this 01 September 2021

If you can find one, Lyman's discontinued 266305 (101gr GC semi-spire point) is about perfect for the 6.5 Grendel for AR15 OAL restrictions and the 6.5 Grendel's case neck.  

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • JohnForrest
  • Millelacs
Tom Acheson posted this 31 August 2021

This is not your cartridge, but.....I have an XP-100 chambered in a slightly modified 6.5 BR. The mold is a 4-cavity NOE 266-140. Depending on alloy, they weigh 133-145 grains. The barrel twist is 1:8.5. Powders have included 11-13-grains of 4756 or 14-15-grains of 300MP. The lighter bullets are an alloy of 50/50 mono/lino and shoot better than the heavier ones which are 25:1 alloy.

Tom

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Millelacs
JohnForrest posted this 31 August 2021

Thanks David,

That's what I was afraid of but didn't know for sure. Lighter molds are hard to find right now.  I'll wait for some good advice on what's working and look for that.

My Grendel is probably the best gun I own to  try and get some good long range groups from. I didn't really want to use it with my first wave of learning to shoot rifle cast but so be it.

John

Attached Files

David Reiss posted this 31 August 2021

That bullet is not going to work as it is too long/heavy. I have tried some 150 grains in my Grendel, but they protrude too far into the powder space. Accuracy was poor at best. I think you are going to find 145 grains are max.

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • JohnForrest
Close