Picked Up Two New Marlins Today

• 1.2K Views
  • Last Post 08 April 2010
Ranch Dog posted this 07 April 2010

I picked up two new Marlins from my gun shop today and I'm very pleased with both of them! I bought the new 336BL (30-30 Win) and a 444. I didn't need either but wanted them all the same.

The 336BL looks as pretty as the images do online or in the catalog. My dad was quite taken with it even as a lifetime M94 guy. He has owned two in his 80+ years, one at a time. He bought his latest in 1968, new in the box for $25! I've been trying to get him to move to a Marlin simply for the ease of mounting a scope to aid his vision. He has a B-Square side mount on the M94 but is having trouble with the sight picture the older he gets. The BL joins a Glenfield 30, Glenfield 30GT, 336A (30-30 AI), and a 308MX as my 30 caliber rifles. They all shoot my TLC311-165-RF and the BL will fallow suite.

The 444 is going to be a safe queen for now or at least until my TLC432-350-RF arrives. It joins my 444P and 444T which represent the short and long barrels offered in the caliber (18.5” and 24"). As with all the Marlins I've purchase in this decade, the wood is outstanding. I'm going to continue to shoot my TLC432-265-RF bullet out of the “T” but once the 350-grain bullet arrives I will switch it to my “P” and then start shooting the 300-grain bullet from my new rifle.

It is funny how I've dulled my wife's senses. She didn't even raise an eyebrow when I showed her the rifles. She did say the laminated stock on the BL was “quite attractive". She did point out that one of my corner gun racks did have an opening. Not really though, I've got them stacked in the safe!

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
hunterspistol posted this 07 April 2010

It's good to see you back online and enjoying shooting sports. A guy just can't pass up good leverguns.

Ron

Attached Files

Mnshooter posted this 07 April 2010

After using both the 94 and the 336 I prefer the Marlins as they are a lot smoother. When I chambered my first round in a Marlin I checked to see if it was loaded as it did not feel like a round chambered, it was. Enjoy them.

Mnshooter

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 07 April 2010

Congrats !

It's always nice to bring a couple new ones home !

Attached Files

Clod Hopper posted this 07 April 2010

"Didn't need"? This is a concept I am not familiar with. Why wouldn't you need two more Marlins?

Dale M. Lock

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 07 April 2010

Good job pacifying the wife. I slip them in when she's not home, but she knows there's quite a few in the safe. I tell her she can sell them for a big profit when I'm gone, like an investment.

Attached Files

Mnshooter posted this 08 April 2010

tturner53 wrote: Good job pacifying the wife. I slip them in when she's not home, but she knows there's quite a few in the safe. I tell her she can sell them for a big profit when I'm gone, like an investment.

Nevere tried that, always figured I would be tempting fate.

Mnshooter

Attached Files

Ranch Dog posted this 08 April 2010

My wife came along after the guns so she has always been use to it.

Here is a good question. What do you do with them after you bite the dust? I'm serious now, please no “give them to me responses". I have kids but they have all they need. I want to maximize the value of my firearms for my wife so how do you handle that? My wife would not be capable of selling them on the auction sites and then there is the reloading room and casting equipment. What do you do with all that to get the most for your spouse?

We talk about firearms being an “investment", don't really know about that if when you croak you give all the benefit to a dealer.

Attached Files

w30wcf posted this 08 April 2010

Ranch Dog, Congrats on the 2 new members of the family! Regarding your “bite the dust” question.... I know which ones my family would want and so those will go to them. The others will go to a local gunstore on consignment at the prices I have put on them. He charges $50 per gun sold, which is fair by me.

Another option is one that a friend of mine did. He had around 20 Winchesters and wanted to sell them as a group. He ended up selling them that way to Cabelas who paid him 75% of their value.

w30wcf

Attached Files

Ranch Dog posted this 08 April 2010

Thanks, that is the information I'm looking for! What about the building full of reloading and casting equipment? I keep it squared away, but there is a lot of stuff in there.

Attached Files

KenK posted this 08 April 2010

Ranch Dog wrote: Here is a good question. What do you do with them after you bite the dust?  

I try to keep my wife informed of what I own and what she needs to do with it if something happens.    My brother to help her sell the guns and my boss to deal with the stock portfolio etc.  

I'm sure to tell her about things that are somewhat valuable but may not look like it on the face. It makes me sick when I hear about some guy getting a “deal” buying from a widow.

Attached Files

Close