Winchester 94 chambering

• 1.7K Views
  • Last Post 31 March 2010
NITROTRIP posted this 30 March 2010

Morning all,

Chambering question? Has a model 94 ever been chambered in 225 winchester? Reason I ask is I was given a 70's vintage with a bent barrel. About a 1/4 bow mid point. I am a machinist and was going to re barrel it. I have bigger bores, so I was thinking of a 22cal chambering. And about the same length as a 30WCF so no action work for feeding. And keep pressures under 40,000. I alway,s wanted a 218 bee in a 92 but those are a little hard to come buy. The pointed bullet thing is not an issue as iron sights only. What are your thoughts?

Thank You, Rick

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ranch Dog posted this 31 March 2010

NITROTRIP wrote: Michael, I am also getting an older Marlin 336 marked Western field. I think that is what it is. it has a very bad pitted barrel. Will it handle shorter cases without a lot of fuss. Might be another one to do something fun with.

Thank You all, Rick Like a previous poster noted, I shoot .311 round balls out of my three Marlin 30-30s and if they can do that without a hitch, they should be able to any of the other considerations.

Attached Files

galenaholic posted this 31 March 2010

NITROTRIP wrote: Thank You All, The 22 Savage HP Looks to be the ticket. I looked around a little for brass but only found Norma for $2.00 each. Can you neck down 30WCF without much trouble? I know I would have to turn the necks, but will it take several neck steps or forming dies?

ED Useing the .224 barrel and marking it like a tight neck chamber is just a GREAT idea. That is why I passed over this cartrage and the cost of the brass. As this was my first thought for rim size.

Thank You all, Your the best, Rick

You'd be better off using 25-35 brass as I believe the .22 Savage high Power was based on that cartridge case. You can use 30-30 brass as I've made 25-35 brass from that but they come out a tad short. Not enough to be a problem but they are shorter.

You know, that could be another possibility. Go 25-35 insted. it's not a bad round and Hornady makes a proper 117 gr. round nose bullet for the round. Proper twist is something like 1 in 8” or 1 in 8 1/2", I forget which. I find it a fun round to shoot and brass would be a lot cheaper.

Paul B.

Attached Files

Reg, Thank You for the info about the 307 308 chamberings. There was something like that in the back of my mind but could not remember what exactly. Do you know anything about the lifter differences I mentioned early'er? As the bolt comes forward and touches the back of the brass moveing off the lifter. It tips the front of the case high or low at the 1/4” first movement area. With a 150/170gr bullet the tip is just started in the chamber and feeds every time. A shorter plink'in bullet hits the back of the barrel high or low? That old 1800's rifle will feed empty cases at any lever speed. I have puzzled over this for a long while and can't see anything that is different in those rifles. That is the only thing holding me from starting at this point. Shooting .311 round balls is like shooting a giant pellet gun. And would be even more fun if they would feed. Michael, I am also getting an older Marlin 336 marked Western field. I think that is what it is. it has a very bad pitted barrel. Will it handle shorter cases without a lot of fuss. Might be another one to do something fun with.

Thank You all, Rick

Attached Files

Ranch Dog posted this 30 March 2010

Rick, I'm a Marlin guy so I cannot answer your questions about the Winys. I threw the 22-3030 out there as there have been a couple of guys on MarlinOwners of late working with the cartridge.

Attached Files

Reg Lingle posted this 30 March 2010

If it is a 70's vintage Mod. 94 ( feel the bure just behind the “blocks” to confirm it) Bill Wallage of 308 fame built a .308 on a new 94, and it stood up fine. The result was the .307 which nobody would believe so then Harry Chamberlain added the web to the receiver. Those post 94's were proof tested with 85,000# blue pill loads. Put what ever you want on it and have fun. Reg

Attached Files

Thank You Ranch Dog, I was typing my reply when you posted. Now we are cooking with gas. This looks great. Another question, Will a 94 feed this cartrage without action modification if it was chambered say .250 shorter? The reason I ask is I have 2 94's 76vintage and 52vintage. They will not feed the short 115gr cast. One the lifter hits high and the other low. I have my grandfathers 1894 rifle made in 1896 and it feeds everything, even empty cases. It is NRA 95% + so I never shoot it but I compare my other 94s to it for tight action and function. I have not encountered another 94 that anyone I know has that will feed empty cases, without helping the mouth up or down slightly. Anyone have any thoughts on this? That is why I am looking at length so closely.

Thanks All, Rick

Attached Files

Thank You All, The 22 Savage HP Looks to be the ticket. I looked around a little for brass but only found Norma for $2.00 each. Can you neck down 30WCF without much trouble? I know I would have to turn the necks, but will it take several neck steps or forming dies?

ED Useing the .224 barrel and marking it like a tight neck chamber is just a GREAT idea. That is why I passed over this cartrage and the cost of the brass. As this was my first thought for rim size.

Thank You all, Your the best, Rick

Attached Files

Ranch Dog posted this 30 March 2010

There is the always the 22-3030 and 22-3030AI. Everything inside the receiver is pretty much the same.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 30 March 2010

The .225 Win and most Wasp data is hotter than I'd want to put in a Winchester 94. I would just chamber .22 Savage HP but use a .224 barrel for easy bullet supply.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Reg Lingle posted this 30 March 2010

How about the 219 Zipper or the 219 Donaldson Wasp? Reg

Attached Files

raytear posted this 30 March 2010

Nitrotrip,

I have close to zero experience with M-94's but if you are looking for a .22 cal with cartridge length similar to a .30-30 there is always the .22 Savage Hi-Power, which is not much more than the .30-30 necked down to accept  .228 bullets.   Don' t have the books right in front of me to check, but it seems like the .22 SHP is right around 40,000 cu for operating pressure.

Attached Files

Close