30-06 loads

• 9.5K Views
  • Last Post 05 April 2010
jppr26 posted this 14 February 2010

i was wondering what loads yall have for the 30-06, I am using a 170gr cast with gas checks, the only load data i have is for 12-16gr of unique, i currently only have unique, and IMR-4064, to get powder it is a special trip out of town but, im running a bit low, so what ever powder gets favored the most ill give a shot.

Thanks

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Frontsite posted this 05 April 2010

The load that seems successful for my buddy's sons first buck was 30-06, Loveren style Lyman mold #311466, 156 gr. wheelweight water quenched bullet. Gas check is the Freechex aluminum. Loaded with 21.7 grains of IMR4227, Winchester primer in preped military LC 56 cases.

His buck took two hits to stop but the first was “a bit far back” the second was heart lung and it dropped on the spot. First shot was at 130 yards (est) second at maybe 75 yards. Both were thruogh and through with golfball size exit wounds.

I use this load with fantastic results at 200 meters chickens.

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 18 March 2010

I may catch a lot of hell for this but her goes. I use .44 mag data. Cross reference with a good cast bullet manual and you'll see what I mean.

Attached Files

Wayne S posted this 18 March 2010

c3d4b2 wrote: Here is a chart that I have found useful.

http://www.lapua.com/fileadmin/user_upload/Relodata/Burning_Rate_Chart.jpg>http://www.lapua.com/fileadmin/userupload/Relodata/BurningRateChart.jpg As with everything else and sepically reloading, always consult a 2nd source for information when useing something new to you.

Attached Files

roggom posted this 17 March 2010

Thanks Ed and Brent for the quick responses.

Attached Files

shastaboat posted this 17 March 2010

With your weight bullet I use 24 gr of 2400 at 2000 fps cast of WW. Equals 30-30 and will work well for hunting if you use a 31141 Lyman flat nose or similar. As usual size to .310 and seat to just kiss the lands.

Because I said so!

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 17 March 2010

In the '06 I have found that 8-10 grains of Unique works with a plainbased bullet and 12-13 grs. with a gaschecked one, which fits.

IMR4064 works well for heavier GC loads, as long as you load not less than about 2/3 of case capacity, so in the '06 I would work in the range of 30-36 grs. with a 170-200 grain bullet.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

roggom posted this 17 March 2010

Glad I found this thread, as I had the same question as JP. I have 170gr GC and have been working loads with Unique. Has anyone harvested any Deer or other big game with their 30-06 and CB, and did you use 170 gr, or larger? Which load?

I really want to take game with a bullet I cast myself.

Thanks

Attached Files

c3d4b2 posted this 27 February 2010

Here is a chart that I have found useful.

http://www.lapua.com/fileadmin/user_upload/Relodata/Burning_Rate_Chart.jpg>http://www.lapua.com/fileadmin/userupload/Relodata/BurningRateChart.jpg

Attached Files

Thumbcocker posted this 27 February 2010

Accurate 3100 and 8700 have given good velocity for me.

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 21 February 2010

roger that. fastest to slowest. burning rates are dependant on application, though.

Attached Files

jppr26 posted this 21 February 2010

so just to be shure the #1 powder is the fastest burrning

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 17 February 2010

This is the chart I've been using lately.

Attached Files

Duane Mellenbruch posted this 17 February 2010

A lot of reloading manuals will have a powder burning rate chart to help you figure this out.  You might also visit the Hodgdon web site as they also have a burning rate chart I believe.  Then you can easily see the powders with similar names and their relationships with other powders.  That might be something that you would want to print and keep in your reloading log.    Duane

Attached Files

jppr26 posted this 16 February 2010

just thought it would be nice to be able to caculate it, i know that there is alot of powders out there, but people are always listing numbers like 2400 for example. Mainly is there any powders that are diffrent but have the same sequental numbers.

Attached Files

Clod Hopper posted this 15 February 2010

Read this: http://www.lasc.us/IndexBrennan.htm

Why do you need to know the cup? Accurate cast loads in the 1200-1600 fps range will not be over pressure. If you are going for velocity over 2000 fps, get Veral Smith's book on this subject.

As to powders, yes, there are over 100 commercial powders. Don't worry about! Unique is the most versatile and a good place to start.

Dale M. Lock

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 15 February 2010

Alliant RedDot Alliant 2400 Accurate 5744 Hodgdon 4895 IMR 4756 IMR 4759 Have fun! Jim

Attached Files

Buffalo Bill posted this 15 February 2010

Tom, I hope Lyman's new CB handbook does a better job of listing loads for the .30-06 and other calibers utilizing traditional RIFLE powders.  My old Lyman handbooks (and they may not be the latest in print) primarily list traditional pistol and shotgun powders.  Nearly all loads listed as maximum still show velocities less than 2000 fps, many several hundred fps less.  Many serious big game hunters (and some target shooters) want something a little better than that and would really appreciate getting the data from a widely recognized reloading handbook.

The new Lyman CB handbook should be a good topic for a separate thread when it becomes available.

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 15 February 2010

Lyman has a new CB Handbook coming out this spring.

Tom

Attached Files

jppr26 posted this 15 February 2010

ok not to seem dumb or nothing but who makes all the powders that youre all listing, i just use unique, and imr-4064, because it is redaly available to me i have heard alot of the 2400, 5744, and so on, when it comes to powders i just do what the book tells me, with what ever i have on the shelf

Attached Files

cityboy posted this 14 February 2010

I have found Unique, 2400 and SR4759 good powders in the 30-06. A lot of load data can be found in the Lyman load manuals. You would do well to get one. The 48th Handbook is the most recent, I think. At least it's the most recent I have. It is well worth the price.

Jim

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close