Bullseye for my millsurp?

• 2K Views
  • Last Post 09 February 2010
euthanasia posted this 08 February 2010

Ok so i'll probably be using a 150 or 174grn. 303 bullet (.312 dia.) for my 91/30 (my barrel slugged at .314). I read here( http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_topic.php?id=486&forum_id=22>http://www.castbulletassoc.org/viewtopic.php?id=486&forumid=22 ) that Ed Harris was using bullseye for .30-06 and .308, and seeing how 7.62x54r is really close to .308 I figured I too could use it for my caliber. You see I already have some bullseye for my .45 and 9mm and its about half as cheap as any rifle powder at our local shop. I won't be hunting with these rounds just punchin holes in paper. I've only been reloading for less than a year so I need some conformation that it's safe, and hopefully some suggestions for some good loads. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Fred Sinclair posted this 08 February 2010

See, http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_topic.php?id=4899&forum_id=49&highlight=bullseye+303>http://www.castbulletassoc.org/viewtopic.php?id=4899&forumid=49&highlight=bullseye+303

Attached Files

Wally Enga posted this 08 February 2010

Skipping a .312 sized bullet down a .314 barrel will not give you the best accuracy and may also have some leading problems. A .315 or .316 would be a better choice if the chamber neck of the rifle will load a neck that large. If not, you could turn the necks down a little until they easily chamber.

I am not a fan of powders as fast as Bullseye in case capacities this large. I have found that mild loads in the 1400 to 1700 fps with powders of a burn rate like SR-4759 or Al 2400 are more consistent. As you point out, that will add a couple cents per round in powder cost --- but may be worth it.

Wally

Attached Files

euthanasia posted this 08 February 2010

Wally Enga wrote: Skipping a .312 sized bullet down a .314 barrel will not give you the best accuracy and may also have some leading problems. A .315 or .316 would be a better choice if the chamber neck of the rifle will load a neck that large. I didnt really plan on using cast bullets for this at first, and the closest I could find jacketed was .312. You dont think 1 or 2 thou.over my actual bore dia. would cause leading with cast or just be generally a bad idea for jacketed. I wasnt sure so I wasnt going to chance it.

Attached Files

CB posted this 08 February 2010

I believe that bullet, mainly CBs, should be slighly larger than the bore. This gives you a goot pressure fit and increases accuracy. On all my MilSurp rifles, I slug the chamber and barrel. On new rifles I go with the manfacture on bore diameter, then I slug the bore.

In my Marlin 336 in 30-30, I size my bullets to .311 and I can keep a 5 shot group in a 1 inch area. In my Spanish FR8, with is 7.62 NATO, I shoot a lot of .311 bullets, if the sights were better I could probably go out to 200 yards with it.

Just my experiences,

Jerry

Attached Files

euthanasia posted this 09 February 2010

Oh whats the “limit” on f.p.s. before I would start to see leading, and I heard it was different in pistols and rifles. Is thet true, and how can I remove the leading. My .45 has gotten pretty bad.

Attached Files

CB posted this 09 February 2010

I shoot my 45 ACPs at about 900 fps, my 9mm 1,200 fps. For rifles I shoot my 308 155 grain bullets with GCs at 1,600 fps, 30-30 with the same bullet at 1,600 fps. I know I can push the rifle bullets faster, but velocity isn't everything.

I use a reloaded cartridge with a jacketed bullet to clear the lead out on my bore on my pistols and really do the same for some of my rifles.

One MilSurp rifle, I shoot only lead thru it and the build up gets to a point and it doesn't build up any more. With the build up in that rifle it maybe damgerous to shoot a jacketed bullet thru it because the bore is so restricted by the leading.

Jerry

Attached Files

OK so jacketed = unleaded barrel gotcha. But at what point should I start using gas checked bullets for my rifle?

Attached Files

at what speed I mean

Attached Files

CB posted this 09 February 2010

For my rifles, I just use them on all my bullets that are gas check capable. Without a GC, any thing over 1,200 for WW alloy and I am guessing at 1,500 fps for Lyno. If you can for those bullets not GC capable, find some one who makes Free CHecks, they do work. I will probably start buy Free Chek makers again this summer depending on which calibers are being sold on eVilbay.

I actually like my rifle bullets softer that is why I use the gas checks, when I hunt the soft bullets deform and yields all of it's energy instead of over penetrating.

Over the years I have learned to use what I hunt with at the range. Then I don't have to get used to any differences.

Jerry

Attached Files

thanks

Attached Files

Close