RCBS sizer die

• 2.6K Views
  • Last Post 17 April 2010
Dew posted this 02 February 2010

I have two Lyman 450 sizers that I've been using for over 30 years with no problems. It has been my understanding that the 450 will use the RCBS sizer along with the Lyman.  In fact, I've got 3 RCBS sizers that work just fine.  However, I just ordered an RCBS sizer .400 for my 10 MM Smith 1006.  The die will not go all the way down enough into the 450 to put the retainer nut on it.  I've tried it in both the 450s and it will not work.  I measured the diameter of the sizer and it is .703 from the bevel to the top of the sizer. OAL of both brands of sizers is the same. The RCBS sizers I've had for a number of years all measure .698 and work just fine.  I THINK the problem is the sizer is to large to go into the bevel at the bottom of the 450 where the return rod comes up to push the bullet out the top of the sizer. Has there been a change in the diameter of the RCBS sizers or perhaps I just was sent one that is to “fat” to work?

Ordered it from MidSouth. I don't know if they will take it back or I will have to deal with RCBS.

Any comments?

Thanks, Dew

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
JetMech posted this 02 February 2010

I'd clean the lube out of the sizer, put some prussian blue on the base of the die, put it in the sizer and spin it alittle to see where the contact point is. If it's the outside, lower bevel, the easiest thing is to just grind a slight bevel on the die body. 10 minutes fitting work could save you alot of wasted time sending it back, just to get the same thing back. It's probably a minor manufacturing change.

Attached Files

BillT posted this 02 February 2010

Dew, I had the very same problem couple weeks ago, talked to a Tech at Graf's, he never heard of the problem, told me it was defective and I sent it back and got a credit. That is what I would do. Ended up buying a Lyman and it worked.

Bill

Attached Files

Duane Mellenbruch posted this 02 February 2010

Please alert the manufacturer to the problem.  Saeco had a problem with their #221 and kept selling the mold until finally a defective mold or two (or more) was returned and they could determine the gas check shank was too short to accept a gas check.  They had to cut a new cherry and then cut a new mold to replace the one that was special ordered in April '09.  By the time that was all done, the shooting season was over for the year. 

Please let RCBS know about the problem so that they can quit making and selling a problem die to the public.  Thanks.  Duane

Attached Files

It's only defective if it doesn't fit a RCBS. If you tell them it's defective because it doesn't fit someone else's equipment........

Attached Files

Fred Sinclair posted this 02 February 2010

Duane is right, return it to RCBS. Returns to a distributor or dealer get bogged down and may not get to the manufacturer for weeks or even months. The manufacturer wants to know immediately when a problem arises.

My personal experience with items returned directly to RCBS items has been outstanding.

Attached Files

I guess it's the way I have to do business on a daily basis. Sikorsky supplies me with a replacement part called a “bathtub” fitting. You machinists out there know what I'm talking about. After sending it back as defective, because it doesn't fit the aircraft or match the print, got another that still didn't fit. At that point, my machinists start manufacturing our own. Don't have time to wait for the manufacturer to figure out what's wrong. The customer can't wait for next season. If I waited for manufacturer's to fix their screw-ups, our guys would be humping around the sandbox on camels.

But you guys are right. most manufacturers want to know if their product isn't performing and will get the problem resolved.

In your case, Dew, I'd send it back to RCBS. But if you want to be sure to get a die that fits a Lyman sizer, I'd get a Lyman die. I don't put it past any manufacturer to make their components proprietary. Personally, I'd fix the problem, drop RCBS a note, and get back to making bullets. But that's just me.

Attached Files

BillT wrote: Dew, I had the very same problem couple weeks ago, talked to a Tech at Graf's, he never heard of the problem, told me it was defective and I sent it back and got a credit. That is what I would do. Ended up buying a Lyman and it worked.

BillI will contact both MidSouth and RCBS and see what they say.  Bill, what sizer was yours that you sent back?

Thanks to all who offered suggestions.

Dew

Attached Files

I had .410 for my 41 Mag. Same problem, would seat deep enough to use the locking nut.

Bill

Attached Files

I personally won't use the RCBS sizing dies again. I like their dies, but will stick with what I know will work on the Lyman equipment.

Bill

Attached Files

I should say it “wouldn't” seat deep enough to use the locking nut.

Bill

Attached Files

MidSouth really thinks I should contact RCBS and I have not been able to contact RCBS by using their 800 number. Busy all the time. I sent them an email and am waiting on a reply.

Attached Files

Dew posted this 06 February 2010

Got the reply from RCBS by email. Said send it in and they would take a look at it. I called the 800 number several times and finally got an automated message that I was number 15 in line. I hung up and sent them the email. I reckon that that is all a tech on the phone would have told me to do anyway.

DEW

Attached Files

Dew posted this 16 April 2010

So I guess you folks thought I just gave up on this since there has been no post as to what happened. I didn't give up. Sent the sizer to RCBS. A letter with it to tell what the problem was/is. Did not hear a thing for a month more or less. Emailed and they were looking into it and said they thought the latest run of sizers might have been on the large size. Would get back to me. Never did until I emailed again a month later. Couldn't find my sizer. They were looking for it. Contacted them a few days ago and said if you find my sizer just send it back and I'll have a friend with a lathe work it over. Got it in a few days with another sizer that they took off the shelf. So now I have my .400 and the new .401 and not a thing was done to either one. So, I am taking it to my friend to fix. I know what is wrong with them (both). To top this all off I found another thread about the same problem a LONG time back on another web site. Sounds like RCBS is not doing anything about the problem. At least not as fast as perhaps could be done. So, I will buy LYMAN sizers for my LYMAN 450 from now on.

Live and try and learn.

Dew

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 17 April 2010

Thanks for the follow-up, Dew. You can tell alot about a company by their customer service. This says RCBS has gotten a little too big for their britches.

Attached Files

Close