311284 for feral hogs

• 4.7K Views
  • Last Post 16 April 2010
rickt300 posted this 26 January 2010

I have an urban but out of city limits feral hog problem. I need a deep penetrating quiet load for hunting hogs at night. I have 2 30 caliber molds the 311291 and the 311284. Range will be less that 50 yards (more like 25) and all shooting will be from an elevated stand 10-12 feet off the ground. Powders I have on hand are Imr 4227, Unique and Universal clays. I would like to not use a gas check and get velocities around 1100 fps but a little more won't hurt anything. I can alter hardness but again for simplicity quenched or aircooled wheelweight is my choice. All shots will be at the spine, neck or head near the ear.  Could I get some input on charges with these three powders from the local pro's? I can use either a Marlin 30-30, a Mauser in 308 put together with a stepped Israeli barrel or my 2 grooved 1903A3 30-06 sporter. I may even try to accomplish this task using my 35 Whelen and the RCBS 200 gr. FNGC mold but at present I want to use the 311284 mold to make my bullets with.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
tturner53 posted this 26 January 2010

Bullseye worked good in my 30-30 for low velocity loads. Search 30-30 Bullseye, you should find some loads from Ed Harris.

Attached Files

grouch posted this 26 January 2010

I'd try 14gr H110 - it shoots well out of my .30 - 30. If 30 - 06, 17gr, if 308 16gr. My $.25 Grouch

Attached Files

Tony65x55 posted this 27 January 2010

For about 1200 fps, 7 grain Bullseye in the .30-30 and 8 gr. Bullseye in the .308, .30-06 and the .35 Whelan. Accurate, quiet and cheap.

Attached Files

RockChuck posted this 27 January 2010

I hope this will not turn me into an anathema on this Forum but have you considered a crossbow? Very quiet and deep penetrating as well as effective when well placed. Reading between the lines it might meet the “social” requirements of your neighborhood a little better than anything going “bang” in the night.  They are almost as much fun as shooting cast in their own way.  Just a thought from a “survivalist in training".

Chuck Martin .>

Attached Files

CB posted this 27 January 2010

I like the crossbow idea. If you have any ordiances that prohibit discharging a firearm within the city/village/township/county limits, a bow is the perfect solution. A friend of mine got a deer in his backyard with his long bow, he lives on the edge of the village,

Jerry

Attached Files

rickt300 posted this 27 January 2010

I am into archery and I would hunt hogs with a crossbow in caylight hours but not at night. The ability to precisely place my bullet and instantly down the hogs is most important. Plus I already have rifles set up for night hunting albeit with full power hunting loads. The need for low noise isn't for any neigbors as the nearest one is almost a mile away, it is to less alarm the hogs in the area that I didn't shoot at. Hopefully this will allow me to get more than one shot in a night.

Attached Files

CB posted this 27 January 2010

I have found if you hit one hog and it makes noise, the rest of them hear that noise. They generaly run away.

Jerry

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 27 January 2010

That's funny Jerry. I've noticed that about wild critters too. Poor sports.

Attached Files

rickt300 posted this 27 January 2010

Their lack of sympathy for my bullet testing plans gets on my nerves a bit.

Attached Files

canalupo posted this 27 January 2010

I use 10 gr of 2400 for my 30 30.

Trip wire hunting can be fun too. A bit noisy and a lot of shrapnel.

Ha Ha

Bob D

P.S. almost as much fun as fishing with explosives.

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 27 January 2010

One single heavy bullet,perfectly placed,one shot one kill.

Civilians cannot detect the location of a gunshot. 

A different accomplice of yours will collect the body.

Crossbows have  a pityful stopping power.

At Lepanto we had  big guns and the Ottomans used bows and crossbows.

Read Ragnar Benson's Survival Poaching,by Paladin Press.

Attached Files

cityboy posted this 27 January 2010

I have never gone hog hunting, but I have shot a lot of rounds using the 311284 and UNIQUE. 11.5  grains gives 1250 fps. Accurate and not much noise or recoil.

Jim

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 27 January 2010

I have found the pic of the crime's scene.

The deer was shot by the mad crossbowman in High Trebbia Valley just after dawn ,on a Hunting season Sunday.

Deer are protected game .

You can see the perfectly placed arrow hole ,behind the right shoulder.

You can see tre tracks and signs of the struggle between the deer and the wolfes,who had begun to eat the deer's tail and rectum.

I arrived on the spot around 0830 and took a picture of the scene ,paying attention to leave no tracks of mine.

Called the local police by wireless.And went to my ambush place to wait ,without success for the boars.

When wolfes are in the neighbourhood the sows take a French leave.

My opinion is that a nice 45/70 or a small caliber rifle ,like the 30-06 in the same spot would have anchored the quarry ,dead in his tracks.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 28 January 2010

Ragnar Benson!! I haven't heard that name in 25 years, talk about a flashback. Now I gotta go pull out the old boxes of books, he's in there somewhere. On shooting the hogs quietly, have you thought of a .22 magnum? The FMJ will go through the head if it hits right, maybe some kind of device to quiet it down.

Attached Files

rickt300 posted this 28 January 2010

A 22 magnum is the loudest of the small cartridges, what a crack! Plus I want more penetration.  11.5 grs. of Unique is a load I will try first in my 30-06 with both bullets I have molds for, the 311291 and the 311284. These loads will also be used for killing hogs in snares and traps if needed.

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 28 January 2010

311284 in a barrel with 1/10 twist would be good medicine.

You should file or swage the round point into a flat meplat,as Frank Marshall,the Old Duke told in his Speaking Frankly stories.

Attached Files

rickt300 posted this 29 January 2010

I may anneal the noses of the bullets or chuck them up in my lathe and turn the noses off but I don't really expect any expansion anyway. All I want is accuracy, low noise and penetration.

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 29 January 2010

You may find useful info on low speed ballistics with 30 caliber heavy bullets in Wikipedia,look for .300 whisper.

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 29 January 2010

Cast with an alloy about 12BHN, I size mine using a flat nose punch for my .41. Using a washer stack-up as a stop, I get a nice flat meplat and the nose bumps up to .301.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 29 January 2010

What I was getting at is using a sound suppressor. If they're legal in Texas you're golden.

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close