Unique or Bulseye for .38 special / .357 mag

• 6.7K Views
  • Last Post 07 December 2010
amb1935 posted this 02 January 2010

I would like some insight from people who know about this caliber. I will be loading a 125 gr ww lead bullet (no gc). I am trying to decide whether to use Unique or Bullseye. Does anyone on here have a prefference? Favorite loads? Min an max loads? Much appreciated. -Aaron

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Duane Mellenbruch posted this 02 January 2010

I used to use Unique, but with the lighter bullets, it does not develop sufficient pressure to burn cleanly.  Now I am using bullseye, at a lesser charge and enjoy the same accuracy.  Duane

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 02 January 2010

Got to agree with Duane. For 50' gallery loads, Bullseye at the minimum load is as accutate as anything.

Attached Files

cityboy posted this 02 January 2010

When I got into reloading around 1960, the standard load for the 38 was 2.7 grains of Bullseye and the 148 grain FWC. I have used nothing else; it works fine.

Jim

Attached Files

CB posted this 02 January 2010

Aaron,

In my 357 I use 4.3 or 4.5gr of Bullseye with a 148gr WC for my best accurate load for 50' indoor competition or just plain plinking fun.................Dan

Attached Files

amb1935 posted this 03 January 2010

Dan Willems wrote: Aaron,

In my 357 I use 4.3 or 4.5gr of Bullseye with a 148gr WC for my best accurate load for 50' indoor competition or just plain plinking fun.................Dan

Are these without gas checks?

Attached Files

CB posted this 04 January 2010

Yep. I should say this is a Semi-Wad Cutter style cb with a plainbase.

Attached Files

amb1935 posted this 08 January 2010

So, I belive I'm going to purchase some bullseye. Right now I'm using Red Dot in 9mm. Do you think Bullseye would be better for .38/.357?

Attached Files

runfiverun posted this 08 January 2010

the red dot is pretty close in burn rate. close enough i'd look at some loads in the books and not buy another powder. i'd bet the red dot loads are about 3 grs.

Attached Files

amb1935 posted this 09 January 2010

From what I've seen, 3-4 grains Red Dot looks good. I like to use Red Dot for 9mm and 7.62x54r targets. I think I'd like to move to Bullseye for 38 and 357 because of the plethora of load data for that powder. However, I would like to experiment with target loads of Red Dot for 38 and 357.

Attached Files

davestarbuck posted this 06 December 2010

I use 3.5 gr of Red Dot, and a 105 gr Lee SWC in .38 special cases for my Cowboy Action/Snub Nose Training/Plinking/New Shooter load. All my .38/.357 guns love this load (S&W 642/Ruger Blackhawks/Ruger GP100/Marlin 1894 Cowboy).

I've tried Unique and Bullseye, and I've found the Red Dot burns cleaner than both. The best part is I can use the Red Dot to load up my “sissy” 12 guage loads with either 7 1/2 shot or my home cast bucksot. Great for killing the steel bad guys, good for clays, perfect for introducing new shooters to the “guage". :cool:

Once I work through my other powders, I'll have Red Dot for killing paper, and 2400 for killing Bambi and Porky, at least that's the plan.....

-dave

Attached Files

mike morrison posted this 06 December 2010

in 1960 i started reloading for 38. 3.3 bullseye and any bullet up to 170gr. today i still do the same except i now use clays. i also use the clays in 12ga. have done the same thing with red dot. any of these three will give you good loads load 2.5 to 3.5. find what you like. or your guns like. good luck. m

Attached Files

Steel 13 posted this 06 December 2010

I use 3 gr. of Bullseye with Lee's 125gr RN mold in a 38 special with so-so accuracy. I believe this particular bullet is meant for the 9mm,but drops at 358. I can get away with using it as cast w/ alox. This is my plink load for the kids. My more serious RN is the 358311 that drops @150 gr. with #2 Lyman duplicate. I load this with 7.5 Unique in a 357 case. I havent loaded this one in 38 Spec. yet.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 07 December 2010

Welcome to the forum Dave. I use Bullseye and Unique in both the .38 and .357, but, I also use a lot of 'free' powder. Or nearly free. Old stock in gun stores have come home with me, and estate sales or outright freebies. Stuff like W540, SR 4756, and HS6 work good too. A dedicated caster is also a good scrounge! Keep an eye out for 'unwanted' powder from a shotgun reloader. I just loaded up a batch of superlight .38 plinkers for the girls, Lee 358-125RF and a light charge of W540. I'm really cheap.

Attached Files

gunarea posted this 07 December 2010

Alright lets talk cheap

2.9 grs Promo + 160 gr home cast + shaky retired man = 2009 Fla gold medal

This is in a 357 case stuffed into a Uberti rolling block pistol. Chronos at 835 fps

Cheap is as cheap does

Roy

Shoot often, Shoot well

Attached Files

CB posted this 07 December 2010

I do about the same as everyone, depends which powder I can get the best deal on, right now I have 2 caddies of Bullseye and I shoot around 5grs using a 158gr SWC.. Bullseye is kinda dirty though and smokes pretty good, but as Roy says cheap is as cheap does..

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 07 December 2010

I've wanted one of those baby RBs a long time. Roy, gold medal in what? Sounds like maybe silhouette? Speaking of cheap, Jeff Bartlett has some Herco clone for about $6 a lb. My 6 lb. jug could produce around 10,000 .38s. Man, I need to stock up on primers now.

Attached Files

CB posted this 07 December 2010

Amen!

Attached Files

Close