Looking for a Proven 30-30 load for marlin 336

• 5.3K Views
  • Last Post 21 January 2010
rhouser posted this 01 December 2009

I have a large supply of the Oregon Trail laser cast rn fp 168 gr non-checked bullets.  These are sized at .310.    I have been trying SR4759 without much success so far.  I am shooting a new 336 lever gun. 

1, Does anyone have a good low power load for this bullet?  I can't get two inches so far. 

1. Does anyone have ANY working load with this bullet out of a 30-30?

Thanks in advance...  rc

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
canalupo posted this 01 December 2009

rhouser

You did not mention distance to target in your post.

I have been shooting similar bullet using 10.5 grains of 2400. I have a marlin with the microgroove barrel. I also shoot same load in a TC G2 contender pistol. My usual groups at 50 yrds is about 2 to 3 inches. I think it may be my peepers and not the load or guns. I also have had some problems with bullet shaving by brass when reloading plain base bullets.

Something to think about if you are used to reloading gas checked bullets. It may beless of a problem than with plain bases.

Bob D.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 01 December 2009

I've had very good results using Bullseye in a load similar to yours. With a Saeco #315 pb as cast, about 170 gr., LLA, 5.5 gr. Bullseye in a Winchester 94 30-30. C.O.A.L. is 2.65” which means it's single load only, will not feed from the magazine. CCI LRP. With receiver sight these went under 3” at 100 yds for 5 shots. I used this load in the CBA Levergun postal match. Velocity is aprox. 1050 fps, est. Search this forum for 'Bunny Gun' posts by Ed Harris. I got my info for this load based on his recommendations for using Bullseye in just about everything. Turns out it works. Good luck and have fun with that Marlin.  Tim   PS That c.o.a.l. may not be good for your gun, you'll have to check that out, but in my gun I found seating them out long helped accuracy a lot. I was very surprised at how well my 94 shot, I had no idea.      EDIT; My Saeco 315 mold is a gc design, just shot without a gc.

Attached Files

beemer posted this 02 December 2009

I push my 30-30 a little harder than plain base bullets will work but I do have a suggestion. I've been playing with Trail Boss in in my 7.62x54. The bullets are gas checked design without the gas check and even round balls that shoot like a 22. All loads are mild but with a little fiddling around I can find one that shoots well.

Trail Boss is easy to work with, it measures well with a dipper and the fluffy stuff reduces the chance of a double charge.

Dave

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 02 December 2009

In my experience Marlins with 10-inch twist barrels shoot best with light loads down to 5-5.5 grains of Bullseye and bullets remain stable. In the Winchesters with 12-inch twist you will need to go 5.5 to 6 grains to prevent shots tipping at 100 yards.

Soft alloy around 10-11 BHN works better than harder in these light loads.

You can increase the charge up to 1 grain only in the .30-40 Krag...  Do not exceed 7 grains of Bullseye

...or up to 2 grains maximum in the .303 British, .308 Winchester or .30-'06 with bullets not over 180 grains, do not exceed 8 grains of Bullseye.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

rhouser posted this 02 December 2009

I will try the bullseye. I have been shooting at 50 yards with the iron sites on a “this years” model 336. With 18 grains of SR4759 they have scattered to about 5 inches at 50. These are a hardcast alloy at the 168 grain weight. These are the standard .30 cal bullet sold by Oregon Trail. I may try Red Dot as well.
thanks to all for your help... rc

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 02 December 2009

This is as good a place to ask this as anywhere else, I guess. Anybody tried out the new lever action from Mossberg? They look interesting to me, haven't heard much about shooting cast bullets in one. Actually nothing.

Attached Files

JSH posted this 02 December 2009

25 grains of AA2520

Attached Files

shastaboat posted this 02 December 2009

I shoot 170 gr cast WW GC with 20 gr. 2400 at 1975 fps.  without the gas check you might try .5 gr of kapock fiber and drop the charge to 15 gr.  Mine is definately a hot load but shoots to 1.5” at 100 yards in my 336 micro groove.

Because I said so!

Attached Files

crash87 posted this 05 December 2009

Because you are shooting hard cast you might want to up the velocity a bit, just to see if your groups tighten. You really don't say what velocity you are trying to achieve, i.e. low power? In my 24” barreled Win 94,(w/ghost ring peep) 27gr of Varget 1773fps 2"@50yds, but the all star, IMR3031 26.0gr 1” 4 within 1/2” 1 putting it out, of course. (1836fps.) IMR 4064 a close 2nd with accuracy and velocity about but just, not quite equal. Bullet is An LBT LCFN gc 170 gr, air cooled WW approx 14bhn, no fillers were used. I, personally like to keep non gas checked bullets (approx) 14bhn at about 1600fps, just seems to work for me. “this years” 336? I'm wondering how the bore is as far as roughness, or if your glass is 1/2 full smoothness. Lapping does wonders to a rifle that won't shoot, but I would do that as a last resort, as it can be a pain, i.e. time consuming. CRASH87

Attached Files

applejack posted this 16 December 2009

I'm using 17.7 grains of sr4759 with 150 gr. gas check cast bullets from a Lee mold but I'm also using hardened bullets at 20 BHN.  I'm shooting them in a marlin microgroove barrel.  I'm getting great groups from 35 yds to 75 yds sandbagged.  About 1 1/8 in. groups at 75 yds.  A young fellow with good eyes can do better I'm sure.  At 35 yds they will cut each other.  I went through a lot of combinations until I hit on this one.  Mine is a older, but great shape, Glenfield model 30 ( read Marlin) with 4 power matching scope,12 groove microgroove rifling.  JDC

Attached Files

rhouser posted this 19 January 2010

OK, as stated in my first post, my objective is to find a load for the lasercast plain base .30 cal hard cast. I have 2000 of them (don't ask). I read all the great responses here and I remembered the GMDR site.

I decided to use Red Dot rather than bullseye because I have it. Shooting was done in 10 shot groups at 50 yard target off a rest with factory iron sights.

components: Remington and Winchester Cases, federal 210 large rifle primers, laser cast 165 plain base fp hard cast.

Loads tried: 5.5 grains red dot - still out at 3.5 inches for 10 shots. 6.5 grains red dot - 2 inches of vertical stringing with less than 1 1/2 inches of lateral dispersion. Again, 10 shots. 7.5 grains red dot - two inches no vertical stringing. 10 shots

Plan: Work the 6.5 grains upward to see where the vertical stringing “goes away".

I can live with this at the 6.5 grains. At least I can hit a beer can at 50 yards. I would love to see a 1.5 inch 10 shot group at 50 (no stringing and no fliers).

I will look for more velocity with other powders, I am just glad to find ONE that will let me use these bullets. (The bullets do much better in my other .30s. - .308, 30-06, and even a hc load in my .300 rum.

Thanks to all rc

Attached Files

Clod Hopper posted this 19 January 2010

Have you recovered any of the bullets? Are they fully engraved by the barrel? I wonder if wrapping the bullets in teflon or paper would make a better load. It is my impression that microgrooves act like an oversize barrel and need a slightly bigger bullet.

Dale M. Lock

Attached Files

CB posted this 19 January 2010

I normally shoot Rnach Dog styled bullets, 165 grain with a gas check, this is my deer gun load:: SR 4759 - 16 grains. Mine are sized to .311.

Hope this helps,

Jerry

Attached Files

rhouser posted this 21 January 2010

Sorry, I should have stated that these are sized to .310. I will try the SR 4759 again. I shoot the lasercast 405 gr. in my 45-70 with great success, no check at up to 1800 with no real leading. They are the cats-a** in the 45-70.  Very accurate, Very hard-hitting.  Hoping to find something to do with the .30's.  rc

Attached Files

JSH posted this 21 January 2010

the flyers may be from a loose forearm

Attached Files

Close