500 S&W Load using Rim Rock 330 gr Lead Bullet

• Last Post 07 June 2021
  • Topic Is Solved
wimilkman posted this 26 May 2021

I recently inherited a 500 S&W - 8.5 inch barrel and am just not real familiar with the cartridge any help would be greatly appreciated

I am reaching out to see if anyone that has a 500 S&W mag revolver and are using the Rim Rock 330gr LRNFP, I am struggling to find some load data to use this bullet weight.. I would like to keep them in the 1100 to 1300 fps range as the Brinell Hardness of that bullet is 15. Lastly is it absolutely necessary to us a Large Rifle Magnum primer in this cartridge ?  I did buy 100 New Starline cases with the R on them to replace the brass that came with it from what I see in load books you cannot use the old style brass anymore. If you have any load data using this bullet please let me know.

Thank you, Fred Honeyager

Fred Honeyager

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
wimilkman posted this 07 June 2021

I would love to see a picture of those pins, I use 296 for 357 mag , 41 mag,  44magnum and some 454 Casull if I want a heavy load in 454. I really did not have any issues reloading the 500 S&W on my Lee Classic Cast Turret press I have 50 now loaded.. I have it mounted on a 20 inch piece of 6x6 and my other Lee press mounted on a 20 inch piece of 4x6 I find mounting them on these not only gets them up off the bench which I like, but provides a very solid base for the press especially for reloading the bigger calibers. If you look in Reloading Bench Ideas on this forum you will see pictures of them and some conversation on it.

Fred Honeyager

Attached Files

Gregor posted this 07 June 2021

As per your other post, the Rim Rock 330gr. LRNFP is the same bullet that I buy from Master Cast.

Loading the .500 S&W presents some challenges.  My Wilson/Sinclair case trimmer is not large enough to trim the .500, so I bought the Lee Trimmer.  The powder die for the Dillon powder measure takes different parts and die than the the others.  You need to get a different case holding block.  So of the seater die plugs are the wrong shape for some of the nose profiles.

The Lee 440gr LFP backed by a good dose of Winchester 296 really destroys bowling balls.

Attached Files

wimilkman posted this 29 May 2021

Gregor,

I got my dies setup tonight and loaded 10 of the Sierra JHP's , for a press I am using my Lee Classic Cast Turret and it did fine so I think your 550 would work well also. I used a little bit of Lee case lube on every 5th one as RCBS recommends and all went well, was no more effort that my 454 Casull ,44 magnums, 45 Colt or 45/70 for my Magnum Research BFR revolver. I find the Lee case lube works the Best of all I have tried and it does not deteriorate the powder like I have found with several I have tried, plus it is very easy to apply. I did not have any issues loading using the 3 RCBS dies and the Lee Collet die for crimping, the rounds came out perfect. I did find out I need to get a Lee Powder thru Expanding die I found out how much I now dislike having to stop and drop a charge of powder..

Fred Honeyager

Attached Files

Gregor posted this 28 May 2021

I have to use a case lube even with the carbide dies due to the high friction with cases.  Really puts alot of strain on the press and bench.   Both of the die sets seater die comes in handy for the different nose profiles of the cast bullets I make.  I thought I could use my Dillion RL-550B to load the 500, but I think it would put to much stress on the press.  So I bought the RCBS steel die set to get the expander and seater dies.  Load them as rifle cases in a batch system.

Attached Files

wimilkman posted this 28 May 2021

Gregor,

I figured if I posted this there had to be someone out there had to be using this weight bullet I was looking through some of my load books , yes I have a lot of them LOL!!! I did find a load tonight in the latest Ram Shot/Accurate Powder Manual Edition 1  using XMP 5744 for the weight bullet you are using and I am going to use, just waiting for them to arrive from Rim Rock Bullets.

I bought RCBS Carbide 3 die set plus a Lee Collet die for crimping ,it is all I could find right now I normally use all Lee dies and reloading equipment. I am going to try to find some Unique or 5744, preferably Unique.... I have LR primers , Sierra 350gr. Sports Master JHP and some W296 (don't want that heavy of Load )and Power Pistol which Alliant shows 350gr JHP data for.

I am going to check out Master Cast to see if it is the same bullet, here is the load for 5744 from Ram Shot/Accurate in case it interests you. It is a Reduced Load, I appreciate that you shared your load you use.  

Ram Shot/Accurate 5744 - Reduced Load

Start Load - 335gr. Ranier HP - 33.3gr = 1249 fps Published  - Start Load - No Max Charge Listed

Thank you again, Fred

Fred Honeyager

Attached Files

Gregor posted this 28 May 2021

Have a 8 3/8" and 4" S&W 500 Magnum revolvers.  I use 12-15 grs. Unique with the 335gr. LRNFP with Winchester Large Rifle Primers.  I have both the Redding Pro Series Titanium Carbide with the Profile crimp dies and the RCBS steel die set.  Also use the Lee collet factory crimp die.

Your bullet looks like the ones I buy from Mike at MasterCast bullets in Enon Valley, PA.  They are a Magma mold, machine cast.

I have been using 13.0 grs of Unique for my current load.  The 500 is a very accurate round and is fun to shoot.

Attached Files

wimilkman posted this 27 May 2021

Brodie,

Thanks for the help and yes it does need wheels and a carriage to hold it up, I was looking at that load in my Lyman 50th also I thought I would reach out to the members to see if anybody else was using that bullet. I did buy some Sierra 350gr. jacketed also price was not to bad at least I did not think it was. They will be used for bear hunting with my brother back in Wisconsin loaded with W 296. I am in Las Vegas NV I see you are in AZ.

Thank you again, Fred

Fred Honeyager

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 26 May 2021

Fred, I know nothing about the brass situation and the 500 S&W, but I did shoot one owned by Ken Waters not Ken Walters..  At the time Ken shot only cast bullets, but he has since dropped our chosen projectile for jacketed because he found out he could afford to shoot them.  He shot five days a week unless it was raining or snowing.  I am sure that the current shortages are affecting him greatly.

So much tor ken.  His load in the 500 S&W was, if I recall correctly, 12 gr. of Unique and a cast 320 gr. bullet.  The load itself was not real hot, but the pistol, which was similar to the one you describe, needed a set of wheels and gun carriage to hold it up.  My Lyman 50th edition reloading manual lists a starting load with a 375gr. SWC cast bullet and Unique to be 12.5 gr., Max with Unique and the 375 gr. Cast SWC to be 17.5 if this is any help to you.

I think that the 12.5 gr starting load should put you right into your velocity range that you want.  As for the brass I would weigh the older stuff and the new with the R on it and see how much volume you are losing.;  There should be an indirect relationship between pressure and case volume.   Maybe you can figure out what it is.  Good luck.

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Close