50-70 Govt OAL

• Last Post 24 August 2017
Bohica793 posted this 23 August 2017

So I have a newly acquired Trapdoor in 50-70 Government that I am casting for and about to start loading.  I plan to use only black powder (new to me) and have been reading everything I can get my hands on.

I took a cast round and barely seated it into am empty case, then chambered the round into the rifle in order to get some idea as to the max OAL I could load.  To my surprise, the bullet was only pushed into the case enough to cover the base to the bottom of the first lube groove.  This gives me a max OAL of 2.6" in a gun which is supposed to have a 2.25 max OAL.  Is it safe to shoot a round seated this far out?  I know best result comes from experimentation, but this is a little shaky to me.

Thoughts?  Advice?  Pithy comments?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 23 August 2017

Don't worry about the free-bore, Seat the bullet just firmly on the charge of FF you pick. I use 65 grains is Starline and 60 grains in Dixie brass. No, I don't think it is safe to shoot original BP guns without the base of the bullet setting on the powder column.

Attached Files

Bohica793 posted this 24 August 2017

I was thinking more along the lines of how many wads I would have to put between the powder and bullet for that OAL.  I would not be leaving an air gap.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 24 August 2017

Sorry, that is outside my 55 years of reloading experience, especially with a 150 year old rifle. Best of luck!

Attached Files

Bohica793 posted this 24 August 2017

I'll stick with something closer to standard and seat the bullet where it wants to be seated rather than attempting to touch the lands.  Thanks.

Attached Files

Close