5.7x28

• Last Post 18 January 2021
  • Topic Is Solved
shastaboat posted this 13 November 2020

Cast Bullet Assn is the first place I'm going to see if any subscriber has ever tried shooting cast bullets in the 5.7x28 case.  I have absolutely no load data as I enter this challenge.  I successfully shoot the Lee 55 gr bullet in .223/5.56 including in a custom AR15 I built.  This new challenge will be in the Ruger 5.7x28 pistol.  Thanks in advance.

Because I said so!

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Squid Boy posted this 14 November 2020

I did a quick search and came up with this link. Some interesting info about the cartridge and the FN five-seven. Nothing on cast bullets. Squid Boy

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/ammunition_st_5point7by28mm_200811/100206

"Squid Pro Quo"

Attached Files

David Reiss posted this 14 November 2020

I purchased a .22 TCM 1911 which is very similar in ballistics. My initial tests showed promising results, but then illness got in the way and I haven't yet picked it back up. I don't know why you should not have good success. 

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

shastaboat posted this 14 November 2020

Thanks.  I'm going to start with 4 gr of Win 452AA and work up from there.  I have about 5 lbs of this powder and then will work with some Grey B.  Going to be fun but the weather is getting quite cold, windy and snowy.

Because I said so!

Attached Files

shastaboat posted this 21 November 2020

I scored about 2200 cases.  Now just waiting on the dies on back order.  Hope to see them by the end of January.

Because I said so!

Attached Files

shastaboat posted this 15 January 2021

LEE 5.7x28 dies came in today.  I ordered a set through FS Reloading in Utah last November and found last Sunday that Amazon had them listed for sale at Midway.  I went to Midway and immediately ordered another set.  I've seen these sets selling on EBAY recently for $150-$200.  The midway dies came today.  4 days!  Not sure if I'll cancel the FS Reloading order or take them and post them on EBAY...lol...

Tonight I started de-priming and sizing and discovered that I can't use my primer pocket swage dies because apparently the swage opens up the rim section of the brass and then it won't go back into the shell holder.  I'll be using my Lyman primer pocket cutter instead.  Lots slower but it works.   Also I used the One Shot lube process which worked well.  Made up a dummy round with the LEE 55 gr cast bullet size .224 and lubed with my own lube.  Tomorrow I'll load up a few test rounds to chronograph and test for cycling.

I'd still like to hear from anyone who has loaded this case with cast.  I just can't believe I'm the first.

Because I said so!

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Spindrift
  • JeffinNZ
ray h posted this 15 January 2021

That's a cute little case but it sure doesn't have much brass supporting that primer.+ 

Attached Files

That is true.  Remember the case is just designed to contain the powder.  The chamber contains the pressure.

Because I said so!

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 15 January 2021

...i have been looking at this case as a possible case for a 17 popper ....  i have a shiny new green mountain varmint wt barrel but no one firm plan yet.  it would be pretty cute on my little Ruger77H bolt gun tho ... ...

or my 788 223 if i could figure out the extraction challenge ...

the 17 cast gun reports by Mashburn here are just way interesting ... gotta give him some company ...

there is an interesting video on youtube where they solvent-remove the lacquer/varnish on the 5.7 factory case and get many jams ...  actually no primer strikes ... in a Ruger auto pistol ....  shouldn't be a problem in a bolt gun tho  ...

please keep us up on your further adventures with this little cartridge ...

ken

Attached Files

I also own a Rem 788 in .223 and i was having ejection problems.  Cases extracted but did not eject.  After a bunch of research I found that this is a common problem.  Guess what it's also an easy fix.  The ejection angle causes the empty case to hit the scope adjustment column.  First thing to do is remove the scope and see if the rifle then ejects.  If it does then remount the scope further forward up to an inch.  If this doesn't fix the problem then you may have to install some taller rings.  Makes a shooter crawl for the correct eye relief but it is what is causing the problem.  

Because I said so!

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 15 January 2021

shastabout .. hey, that is a new one .. heh, the 788 is a mixed bag. my favorite was one in 44 mag ...  i had one in 308 and one in 243 ...   great working rifles, but never a model 70 in the eyes of my buds ...

thanks, ken

Attached Files

delmarskid posted this 16 January 2021

A countersink bit will do nicely in a drill to cut those primer crimps.

Attached Files

shastaboat posted this 16 January 2021

Ken, I was surprised that the scope was causing the ejection problem in my 788 too.  Let me know if you removed the scope and your rifle ejected.  Also I would not recommend any wildcat on this case.  You would be well advised to stay with a .17 Remington or even a shorter version based on a .223/5.56 case.  

Because I said so!

Attached Files

shastaboat posted this 16 January 2021

Loaded a few test rounds and also found that the minute primer crimp really didn't need to be removed.  I was able to easily prime de-primed cases on my old Lyman Spar-T press I am using to load this round.  Eventually I hope to load this round on a LEE Pro1000 if I can get a shell plate altered to fit the case head.  LEE wants $300 to make me one.  I'm going to get a local machinist to tig weld a current one and then mill it for the 5.7x28 (25acp) case head.

Because I said so!

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 16 January 2021

shastabout ...  me be wondering why you advise against the little 5.7 x 28 for a 17 brass ?  it seems as robust as hornet brass ... 

i am worried about EXTRACTing the 5.7 case ... my Ruger77H already will extract a 0.300 case per the hornet brass ... so likely will drag out the 5.7   ....  maybe ..  i think, ... hopefully .....

but modifying the "after-thought " extractor on the 223/788 is daunting to me ...  and i love to unfix things that were working perfectly before i unfix them ... ( g ) ...

ken

Attached Files

ray h posted this 16 January 2021

Ken the guys on Saubier.com have been necking this case down for years. Do a search over there. I've had a couple close friends play with a 17 version. With jacketed bullets a couple tenths of powder can go "from that's not too bad to oh my God". With cast bullets and lower pressures I'm guessing it would be a nice little case. Early on I sectioned a case, there's not a not of brass in the head of that case.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 17 January 2021

hi ray h ... thanks ... will check it out ...

my fantasy is to create a reloadable 17HRM ...

a friend has a ruger american sporter in 17 HRM that is astoundingly accurate ... 

ken

Attached Files

ray h posted this 17 January 2021

Ken I shoot the 17 Squirrel, runs a 20 gr VMax just over 3000. It's a shorten Hornet case.  I'm hoping to try some 25 gr NOE  bullets this spring. Hoping to get 1800 plus.  I also have a 22 Squirrel which I want to try some of NOE's 22 bullets in.  Hoping they will give me reloadable 17 HMR and 22 Mag.

Attached Files

shastaboat posted this 17 January 2021

Ken, You are getting things mixed up here.  I commented on your Rem 788 in .223 not ejecting well and what the fix was. 

I also have mentioned that when swaging out the primer pocket on 5.7x28 brass that it swells the base of the brass and will not let that swaged brass enter a 5.7x28 (.25ACP) shell holder.  I also discovered that it was not necessary to remove the (minute) primer pocket crimp and re-priming was easy without doing anything.  Because of the weak head area of the 5.7x28 (rimless) case, I do not think it is a good case for any conversion.  The .22 Hornet case is a rimmed case and much more material is present.  I still think the .17 Remington is the best varmint round in that caliber. 

.223/5.56 brass is as close to free as it gets.  I've never paid for any and regularly pick up 200-300 once fired cases on a desert outing.  I'm sure I have 10K cases.

You guys, please don't hijack this thread.  It is about shooting cast in the 5.7x28.  Not about developing a 17-5.7x28.  THANKS!

Because I said so!

Attached Files

shastaboat posted this 17 January 2021

So the 3.5 gr load of Win 452AA with 55 gr LEE were light and did not cycle the Ruger pistol.  No ejection.  One 4.0 gr load cycled and ejected.  Next test is 4.2 gr and 4.5 gr.  Both non cycling 3.5 and 4.0 gr fired and were accurate at 40 yards hitting frozen gallon milk jugs but not much damage except a straight hole.  

Testing 4.2 and 4.5 grains later today. 

Darn wind is a blowing though and I hate to get outside.  

Because I said so!

Attached Files

shastaboat posted this 18 January 2021

So I decided to load 4.3 gr and 4.5 gr on the continued ladder test for pistol function.  Both load charges fully functioned the Ruger pistol.  A slight more primer flattening was observable in the 4.5 gr load.  I've decided to go a head and load up 100 rounds at 4.4 gr of Win 452AA and we will go out and chronograph and test them for accuracy when the spring weather warms up a bit.  I wish I had grip inserts for my Ransom Rest.

Because I said so!

Attached Files

Close