.32 Popguns

• 61K Views
  • Last Post 19 October 2018
Ed Harris posted this 07 December 2006

Anybody else but me play with cast bullets in the .32 ACP, .32 S&W Long and .32 H&R Magnum?  I've already sent two articles in, but it would be fun to see what you guys are using.

I've been having great success with the Meister 94-gr. .312” LFNs with Bullseye powder, from 1.5-1.9 grs. in the .32 ACP, 2.0 to 2.5 grs. in the .32 S&W Long and 3.0 to 4.0 grs. in the .32 H&R Mag. -

Update Jan 31, 2007 - regretably this bullet is no longer listed on the Midway web site - it says out of stock- no backorder. It is still listed by Meister on its web site, but not as an attractive quantity price, which must have been Midway's closeout.  This is an excellent bullet.  I'm glad that I bought a bunch for cheap while they lasted.  I would like to find this mould, but can't find one that looks like it.  Anyone got any clue? 

UPDATE 15Feb07 - The Meister bullet below is a Magma Engineering design:

http://www.magmaengineering.com/bulletmolds.php?bm=32CAL>http://www.magmaengineering.com/bulletmolds.php?bm=32CAL

Part No. 32-96 RNFP FB 

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • John F.
  • Gregor
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
max503 posted this 19 October 2018

I've got that Lyman 32 caliber two cavity wadcutter mold but no gun for it.  Maybe that's God's way of telling me I need a 32 caliber handgun.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 18 October 2018

beagle6 ... you mention Badman bullets ....  i just went through 500 of his 130 gr 310 castings ... i was surprised at how good they were ....  generally i don't have great luck with commercial cast ... maybe i got lucky, but i will give him another try.

ken

Attached Files

M3 Mitch posted this 18 October 2018

.32 and 30 gats are hard to beat for plinking, as we have discussed elsewhere, even the .32 ACP tends to be surprisingly accurate, even from "pocket" guns.  .32 S&W Long looks like a smaller version of the .38 Special, and shoots just as accurately, using less lead and less powder to do a similar job at plinking or formal target shooting for that matter.  30 Luger is a lesser known but in my experience quite accurate round, bit on the loud side if you want a load that will work the action.  The only .32 S&W (short) guns I have shot are very small old S&W revolvers, break opens, with very fine sights, so I think it has not had a real chance to show me it's accuracy potential. 

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 18 October 2018

Yep, has the effect on me too.

Attached Files

beagle6 posted this 18 October 2018

I recently acquired a Colt Police Positive in 32 Colt New police ( 32 S&W Long). It is the target model with a 6 inch bbl.and adjustable sights. According to the serial number it was made in 1915 but is in near mint condition. I've been loading a.314, 100 grain semi wadcutter from Badman Bullets with 2 grains of Red Dot.Glen Fryxell uses 2.6 with a 100 grain and Lyman recommends 2.4 of Bullseye. I consider both Bullseye and Red Dot to have pretty much the same burning rate so this is a very mild load and is a pleasure to shoot in this fine old pistol. I never would have considered buying a 32 except for Ed's articles. My wife considers him a bad influence since every time I read one of his articles i want to buy something. Keep up the good work,Ed.

Attached Files

Gregor posted this 18 October 2018

My friend and S&W gunsmithing school grad Bob picked up a 31-1 3" .32 S&W Long at the S&W Forum Fall gettogether October 6th.,  98% easily with no box.  I found some factory second Federal .32 Long wadcutter loads at a local store and ordered some brass and LEE molds from MidwayUSA, which arrived Tuesday.

I just got finished casting some LEE 93gr. RN and 90gr. SWC bullets this morning in preparation for Bob and I getting together this Friday to do some loading.  I have a Ruger Single-Seven 5 1/2" .327 Federal Magnum to load for and use as a test bed.

I have used the NOE 117gr RNFPGC 314316 over 10.0 grs. 2400 and 12.0-12.5 grs Win 296 in the .327 with excellent results and look forward to explore the other cartridges that will work in this revolver.

Funny how this thread pops back up when I was interested in finding some information on .32's.

Thanks for all the posts.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
GP Idaho posted this 17 October 2018

90% of the shooting I do is just plinking at different targets of opportunity. For this type of shooting it's hard to beat the little 32cals.  I have a nice old Colt 32-20 that Richard D. here on our forum was kind enough to sell me and a 32 S&W H&R revolver I bought at the local Cabela"s.  Moulds for these include the Noe 313-89-WC-BE4, the Lee TL314-90-SWC,the Lee 311-93-1R and a great Saeco #326 SWC that I picked up from Ken C.  This gives me lots of different combinations to play with and every one of them are very easy on the components. 90gr. of lead and three grains or so of powder per round  and I'm set for an afternoons worth of fun at a very modest price. Yep, I like the 32's. Gp

Attached Files

M3 Mitch posted this 17 October 2018

In a similar thread somewhere on here I posted up about my American Eagle .30 Luger.  Unlike the 32-20, which I do find to be very loud with more or less "full" loads, the Luger does not strike me as significantly louder than it's 9mm counterpart.  I have mostly used the old Lyman 93 grain round nose bullet, while the bore does have a little pitting, it still will stay on a beer can out to about 40 yards if I do my part.  That same Lyman bullet works well in a 32 S&W Colt Officer's Model Heavy Barrel Match that I picked up I want to say for $300 at Ski's House of Guns in Idaho Falls, this would have been 1983 or 1984 probably.  Ski himself offered it to me as soon as I walked in "Hey, Mitch, you like guns in oddball calibers, how about this!"  Times have changed and the .32 S&W is not considered oddball anymore. That Colt has a great SA trigger pull, would be quite acceptable on a rifle.  It is capable of much better accuracy than I am.  Also have an old Colt 1903 automatic in .32 ACP that is quite accurate with the 77 grain Lyman bullet.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • John F.
Ed Harris posted this 20 February 2016

The Fouling Shot is the magazine published by the CBA. John Alexander can email you a free sample copy.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

bsavictor500 posted this 20 February 2016

I have no idea what the fowling shot is. I will help anybody shoot anything that i know about from a dutch model 1891 revolver to a swiss model 1882 revolver. I have owned and shot many military sidearms from many countries-I have taken them apart and repaired them and enjoyed every minute of doing it.  My favorite rifles are m1 carbines ,mas 49/56,enfield no4 mk 1,cz52 rifle(dont have it anymore), sharps(dont have it anymore), trapdoor springfield(dont have it any more)58 caliber musket enfield pattern(dont have it anymore).I have hundreds of photos-- proof marks and other stuff that interested me but i know most about the nagant revolvers and similiar almost copies. As for writing articles for the sake of writing articles I would rather go cast some bullets or go shoot.

Attached Files

You should do a test report and write-up for The Fouling Shot, talk about what loads are most accurate, what results you get. Reading about different and somewhat unusual guns is always interesting Photos of gun, best bullets, typical targets would be wonderful!

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
bsavictor500 posted this 20 February 2016

They are copies built by century arms of the russian match target pistols. I bought two several years ago. I have had a nagant revolver for 40 plus years. 

Attached Files

Looks like a purpose-built match pistol, Soviet style. May not be pretty, but I am told their stuff works.l

Attached Files

bsavictor500 posted this 19 February 2016

I will try to post a photo here- my gun is identical to this one. We were using 12 guage empty shotgun shells as targets. I also have an enfield 38 and a webley 45 that we were shooting. 

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 11 February 2016

Is your Nagant in .32 S&W Long or the Russian cartridge?

Either way, would love to see some pictures and targets.

Attached Files

bsavictor500 posted this 11 February 2016

I have a russian nagant target pistol. I use the lee wadcutter mold 98 grain not made any more. I use red dot three grains it is a beautiful shooting gun. 

Attached Files

Notlwonk posted this 05 April 2008

I've been using the Lee 311-93-1R bullet in my KelTec with 1.3 grs of Bullseye. The vel. is 480 fps. It's 'hot' enough to knock over steel plates! I've restricted myself to using R-P, Rem-Umc or CBC brass, all the other types have a lot of internal taper and will swage the base of the bullet. The problem is, most of the range brass is Win. S&B and RWS. Don't know for sure if it is a problem. In the load work up, the first trial was 1.0 of BE and did not eject, 1.2 and 1.4 were also tried and both functioned. The bullet is of 7 Brinnel and weighs 93 grs.  

Attached Files

aaa-sam posted this 28 March 2008

ed:

I lost or broke my depimer for a 222 lee set

though you might like pass on my invention

took a spoke from a bicycle wheel an trimmed 3 inchs off

enclosed in a stainless steel tube that just fits of the spoke

it works like a charm -- hope others can uses the idea

thanks for get web site

sam p.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 13 March 2008

ascalp wrote: I mostly cast 7,65 browning (aka 32acp) for a Walther PP.

My first choice is Lyman 311252, 75gr ... The #311252 shoots very well for its weight, due to its short nose and long bearing surface.  However, a flatnose, if your pistol feeds reliably with one, is better for field shooting.

My most accurate bullets in the .32 ACP are the Saeco #325 98-grain SWC intended for the .32 S&W Long and the NEI #82 shortened to remove the GC heel and bottom band, leaving a rebated heel at the midpoint of the bottom lube groove, this results in a 98-gr. flatnose.  Both feed fine in my CZ, Beretta and Colt pistols, as does also the 94-gr. Meister flatnose, all pictured below:

Left to right factory FMJ, 98-grain Saeco #325 SWC, 98-gr. NEI shortened #82, 94-gr. Meister. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
pascalp posted this 17 February 2008

I mostly cast 7,65 browning (aka 32acp) for a Walther PP.

My first choice is Lyman 311252, 75gr .

I'm also playing with a 30-20 TC, some of my .30 molds:

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close