Star or Ballisti-Cast mark VI

• 6.3K Views
  • Last Post 18 April 2010
Seabee posted this 12 August 2009

I wish to get a lube sizer. I don't want a basic unit. I want to be able to crank out bullets in large numbers. for less then 1000$ I have looked at the star and the Ballisti. I think the Ballisti is built stronger and has a better feeding mechanism. Both have the pressure feed for the lube, both are direct pushed nose down. both can get the bullet loader added. Both can use the same dies, star needs 2 punch pins? not sure what that is really.

the ballisti has Quick change punch system (preset punches for different sizes) does the star??

I know there are pros and cons to both. Does someone here have any input on the 2 units?

unless another brand can compare to rate of bullets and quality I rather hear about the 2 I posted.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
hunterspistol posted this 12 August 2009

There's a guy selling a Star on the forum now.  All I can tell you is that it's a Push-through sizer.  Haven't had one myself, they say they're good for bulk.

Attached Files

Seabee posted this 13 August 2009

no one has used any of the items asked about?

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 13 August 2009

The guys on Cast Boolits site are popping out thousands of pistol bullets using Stars.  Specialty Pistols is another site you can check out.  This site is mainly cast bullets in benchrest military rifles and such.  From what I've read, the Star is as fast as pulling the lever but, I use a Lyman set-up.

Attached Files

FA Gent posted this 14 August 2009

Both are excellent machines.Compare the two and the Star resembles a Ferrari and the Ballisti a Kenworth. “Punch Pins” not sure what you are referring too.The Ballisti will accept Star Dies,simply press into place.I don't favor the Top Punch adjusment on the Ballisti,jerry rig,mickey mouse setup.This can be remedied .The Star has this hands down. Asked the folks at Ballisti about this and the fellow laught.I have both,an original Star from San Diago and a Ballisti.Either should serve you well.   

Attached Files

Seabee posted this 14 August 2009

does 1 sizing die say 452 work on all 452 bullets with different amounts of groves?

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 14 August 2009

Generally, yes.  You'd have to have the top punch for the bullet nose shape but, the dies just swage the diameter of just about any bullet you run through 'em.

Attached Files

Duane Mellenbruch posted this 14 August 2009

I have the Star and the top punch is flat.  I push the bullets through nose first.  The problem I noticed with the Star and Ballisti is that they spec their size dies a little differently than Lyman and RCBS,   The Lyman and RCBS dies I have that are marked at a given diameter, are that size or somewhat larger.  Which is fine since I may lube size shortly after casting or very soon after heat treating.

Star makes their dies to be slightly less than the marked diameter and expect the springback of the lead bullet to reach the marked diameter. 

This can create an issue if you are not aware of this and I would hate to spend the money and time to make a whole lot of undersized bullets at a very rapid rate.  Duane

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 15 August 2009

That's good to know, Duane. I'm setting up my new shop in 2 weeks and will be ordering dies for my Star, which I picked up in an antiques store. I'll be running 12 BHN 44 bullets thru it, so if I want them to come out .432 to match the throats, should I order a .433 die?

Attached Files

Duane Mellenbruch posted this 15 August 2009

I believe that Star cuts the dies using a pin gauge and the hole is actually less than the ordered size.  I have not dealt directly with Star, but believe I read on their specs or Ballisti cast that they make the die slightly undersized.  So if you order .433 it could be anything larger than .432 up to almost .433.  Since undersized cast bullets are near worthless in most applications, you should consider oversized, but may find a phone call well worth the expense in getting what you want.  These dies have lube holes that are drilled through to the center with one size and a slightly larger size hole is then drilled partly through to allow the use of a lead shot pellet to plug the hole and stop lube flow.  Drastic alterations to the interior of the size die would not work if you get to that point.  I have only one Star die, and it is pretty much sized as marked.  I have an aftermarket die, that was pretty undersized but was corrected by the maker.  I hope this helps.  Duane

Attached Files

KenK posted this 15 August 2009

Duane Mellenbruch wrote:   Since undersized cast bullets are near worthless in most applications, you should consider oversized, but may find a phone call well worth the expense in getting what you want.   

On the other hand, honing out a thousandth is a lot easier than putting it back in. : )

I remember reading somewhere that Star sizers will leak lube if the bullet is not at least a thousandth or two larger than the die which may be something to keep in mind.

Attached Files

Seabee posted this 19 August 2009

Well I havea a Ballisti mark VI I talked to the rep at magma and Ballisti and the both say the bullets will be 452. the die just adjust for lead springback. So maybe with other dies you have a slightly larger bullet than the die. I am not worried about .005 . Now I need to work on a lube. Any ideas for a lube mold? I found some omes where but No idea where.

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 19 August 2009

Jeff does Voodoo Lube, there's a thread about lube molds here somewhere.

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_topic.php?id=1696&forum_id=16>http://www.castbulletassoc.org/viewtopic.php?id=1696&forumid=16

Found it!

White Label is only $1.90 a stick- http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/index.html>http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/index.html

Attached Files

Seabee posted this 10 September 2009

UPDATE. I have bee working with the MK VI lube sizer. What a PITA ! Tell me it gets easier. First thin i dont care for is the Ballisti cAst does not advance the next bullet. You have to do this by hand. But if you remove the feeder you can feed by hand. I get lube all over my 452 230g bulets. or i don't get enough lube and it takes 5 or mor times to get the lube on the bullet. It has a heater and it is turned all the way up. Not sure what kind of lube it is. From Ballisti cast, it is blue. If I let it set it gets the lube soft enough it will lube fine but will not last long. I may need a softer lube or a second heater for the tube. Ballisti cast sells lube for 112$ for 40 sticks of solid 6'' long. It seems there are many combs of pressure , heat and lube . this makes it difficult for a new guy.

Attached Files

Seabee posted this 24 October 2009

Well here is a update. I got my sizer back from the factory. They set it up for me. It works great now. No mess any more. Bullets look great. One thing I need to change is the handle, it can use some more leverage and a shovel handle. I can make one to attach .

Attached Files

Messenger posted this 07 January 2010

I am new to casting. I am still in the process of smelting my WW into ingots (only 1200lbs to go). I have yet to cast my first bullet. Obviously I will be needing a lubisizer before too long. I am still undecided as far as the Star or Ballisticast. The analogy of the Ferrari and Kenworth tends to steer me away from the Star and the Mickey Mouse top punch adjustment description worries me with the Ballisticast. Which one? Do I flip a coin or get out the tea leaves?

Attached Files

JimmyDee posted this 07 January 2010

Messenger wrote: I am new to casting. ... I will be needing a lubisizer before too long.

Maybe not: it depends on what you're casting for and the molds you use.  (The recommendation to use a factory crimp die to “swage” bullets in assembled cartridges is inspired. Thanks, again, Ed!)

If you do need a sizer, there are other, less costly, options.

Attached Files

CB posted this 12 January 2010

I have a Star that was made by star, there have been literally 100s of thousands of bullets pushed through it.

The question is how many bullets an hour is a person capable of pushing thru any sizer? I am not the first owner of my Star Sizer, I bought it from an estate about 18 years ago.

I have my dies made for me, so I can get some sizes that are sort of in between or others for rifles that have worn barrels that need a little extra diameter or the Ranch Dog series of bullet molds that takes advantage of the microgroove bore.

I think I have 3 top punches total, ,22” .30” and .45"

If some one has something better, I would like to see it, in fact I would like to see it side by side with my Star to see how they both perform.

Factory reps are salesmen, so they want to you sell you their product. Asking for references is sort of a one sided issue, every buddy is going to give you a reference that favors them.

Me, I want to see it work and want to know if I can get parts, dies, top punches or can they be made for some owner from a local machine shop.

Jerry

Attached Files

TonyT posted this 18 April 2010

I have used the Star lube/sizer for almost 50 years - virtually indestructible.

Attached Files

CB posted this 18 April 2010

TonyT,

Stars are not Virtually Indestructible, they are Indestructible.

Plus I am ordering a few new dies for calibers that I am now casting.

Jerry

Attached Files

Close