45 Wadcutters to be used in 45 Colt

• 1.6K Views
  • Last Post 30 May 2017
Gunner220 posted this 07 May 2017

Purchased some of Matt's Bullets 250gr FB Wadcutters for use in a Ruger Redhawk. I'd like to run these between 8 and 900 fps through a 4.2 inch barrel. I have most applicable pistol powders except titegroup which I know is gonna pop up. I plan to seat them flush so that needs to be taken into consideration.

Thank you folks.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
BigMan54 posted this 30 May 2017

Wow, I have had  # of problems with RUGER over the past 40+ years. But none as bad as this. You got my sincere sympathies.  

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 30 May 2017

Yeh, boy! X2

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 30 May 2017

Sitting the back yard, with a double bourbon and cursing helps more!

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 29 May 2017

double owch .... i am shooting some old rifles from the better days for the groundhog shoot ... my win. m54, rem 721, and ithica are starting to look pretty good ...   very sad .  keep us informed, sharing grief is therapeutic ...

ken

Attached Files

Gunner220 posted this 29 May 2017

I have been dealing with this since January 9 of this year. I have been very patient. If you do a search online regarding Ruger Customer Service, changes at Ruger, etc, you will find I am not alone in this debacle. There have been many changes in the hierarchy at Ruger and their legal department seems to be at the top. I turned down a replacement pistol because of their obvious quality control issues.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 29 May 2017

owch !! ...the inet is full of stories of excellent customer service from ruger ... with complaints very rare .  i would call them every 4 hours until you find an old school service guy ... might have to work up the chain ...

no threats, no naughty words ... just facts and patience ... i would expect them to give you a shipping pickup number and an as-new gun .   eventually .   

remember that american businesses now are having to hire social-protest  majors from a liberal university .... you may have run into a couple of those  unfortunate souls .

ken

Attached Files

Gunner220 posted this 29 May 2017

Well the saga has ended with someone that will never purchase another firearm from Ruger, After their engineers examined the firearm upon it's second return they deemed it non repairable. I asked for my money back instead of a replacement firearm. Initially it came to with lots of problems. Where was the QC? It was returned to me test fired and ready to go. Now it was a dangerous gun, not one that just wouldn't work. The cylinder crane was sprung so badly I wouldn't even test fire it. Several cylinders were not in line with the barrel when trhe gun was in battery. Again where was the QC?

When you figure in Redding Dies, a Dillon tool head and powder die, brass, and over 250 rds of factory ammo, I guess I am out $250.00. This was mentioned but it was my problem i guess.

Caveat emptor

Attached Files

BigMan54 posted this 13 May 2017

Sending it back to Ruger twice!!! Jeez how much does that cost these days. I had to send a brand new Ruger New Vaquero back to Ruger 3 years back & UPS charged me $95.00.  Dealer; Turner's refused to send it back on their dime because I'd  had it a month. 

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 13 May 2017

8.0 Grains of Unique in the .45 Colt is so set with me that I am almost ready to sell the gun if it will not shoot that load. Not that I will sell any of them, but this is my first gut reaction. I have spent too many years collecting double-action .45 Colt revolvers to sell any of them, even my modest collection. 

For my Colt Single Action Army and New Service, I load 6.5 grins of Unique with the H&G 200 grain semi-wadcutter due to strength limitations. Why wear out the gun with a heavier load?

You might start with the 6.5, and then 7.0 grains, Unique since you are seeking a target load. 

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

Gunner220 posted this 12 May 2017

No Problem Pepe. Stuff happens. Hopefully all's well that ends well.

Attached Files

Pepe Ray posted this 11 May 2017

Wow!! A real bummer! I thought I was bumbed out when I discovered that the S&W Moon clips did not fit. 

You've surely had a bad one. Sorry I brought it up.

Pepe Ray

Only in His name.

Attached Files

Gunner220 posted this 11 May 2017

Cylinder locked with sprung, sprang, messed up craneHappy not at all. I purchased the gun in January about 12 rounds through it. The cylinder was binding and would not rotate without a little manual help. Those rounds that I did get to drop the hammer on showed light primer strikes and would not fire. So it went back to Ruger. They corrected the headspace adjusted the pawl replace the ejector and a few other things. When I got the gun back somehow or other the crane had become sprung and with the cylinder locked there was about .25 millimeter Gap between the cylinder and the frame.

Of the three Moon Clips I got one would not hold the rounds at all. Two or three would simply fall out. Anyhow I'm still waiting on the gun to be returned from Ruger . Not the best thousand dollars I have ever spent on hey firearm. Not exactly a ringing endorsement just simply my experience.

Attached Files

Pepe Ray posted this 10 May 2017

Hey Gunner, have you run any 45ACP's thru it yet? If so , were you happy w/it?

Pepe Ray

Only in His name.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 08 May 2017

Gunner220,

David Reiss gives you numbers that are helpful but the numbers aren't a fit check. Check your bullet fit with a ready to load cast bullet. Drop it into a cylinder chamber. If it falls through it is too small. It should take a 1 to 2 pound push with a dowel to push it through. That indicates a good fit to a revolver cylinder chamber for a cast bullet. Looser or tighter subtracts accuracy potential. It is also useful to repeat the test a different way for wad-cutter bullets that are seated flush. Use a kinetic bullet puller and remove a bullet from a loaded round or dummy and do the drop/push test again. If it does not pass the test the same way with a 1-2 pound push, change your bullet sizing till it does. Any less of a fit subtracts from accuracy potential. Wad-cutters that actually fit like this aren't fussy about charges and powders as long as they are in the range of safety recommended by the powder maker for cast bullets of the hardness recommended for the load level.

Gary

Attached Files

David Reiss posted this 07 May 2017

I would start with the following:

5 gr. Bullseye
8 gr. Unique
5 gr. Red Dot
5.5 gr. WW231

These should give you velocities in the range you wish, however make sure you check your cylinder throats diameters and make sure your bullets are not more than .001" smaller than the tightest throat. Ideal would be the same size or .0005" larger. 

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

Close