45 Rimmed Bullet Mold

• Last Post 26 July 2018
bucksnort posted this 25 July 2018

Gents,

I'm looking for a bullet mold to be used in a .45 revolver.  I'd like it to have the profile of a 'beer can', with a grease groove or two.  It will be used exclusively for 50-foot paper punching. Has anyone seen such an animal?

Thanks.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Lee posted this 25 July 2018

I cast a 230gr Wadcutter with a lube groove and  crimp groove. Just right for 45 Auto Rimed. Mold not for sale but will sell bullets.

Thanks

Lee

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 26 July 2018

Accurate has several which should work.  Would help to know if you want to use this in a .45 Auto Rim, .455, .45 Colt or whatever.

One of my designs which works well for me with 3.5 grains of Bullseye in the .455 Webley or .45 Auto Rim is:

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

bucksnort posted this 26 July 2018

It will be fired in a S&W 625, .45 auto-rim revolver.  Just need it to fly 50-feet in plate matches.  Thanks again.

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 26 July 2018

SAECO #954, shoots well in .45 Colt and feeds well in .45 ACP. Bullet is sized .452 and lubed with Jake's Ceresin Red since that is what is in the Star lubrisizer. 

It and the 200 gr H&G semi-wadcutter are fast becoming my favorite bullets for all .45 applications. You might want to look at the 200 grain semi-wadcutter also,

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

Eutectic posted this 26 July 2018

Bucksnort,

You don't need 230+ grains to knock down plates, and you want a light load.  Accurate has several in the 195 - 200 grain range which will do fine.

The big question is are you going to have to reload in the match? If so, full moon clips are the way to go using ACP brass. For reloading you want a round nose or truncated cone, semi-wadcutters and wadcutters do not load easily. Oregon Trail has a 200 grain 45 round nose if you want to try this before purchasing a mold. You can shoot any bullet backwards for full wadcutter effect. At target velocity 650-700 fs you should not see any accuracy difference with backward bullets at 50 feet.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • Bud Hyett
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 26 July 2018

one of the few shooting shows i can stand watching  is jerry miculek's * shootout lane * ...     nice to see god favors at least some of us.

ok, i like jim scoutten's show too ... he is another good guy from way back ...as is tom gresham ...

ken

Attached Files

Close