cast 22cal bullets

• 2.9K Views
  • Last Post 15 July 2010
Coydog posted this 19 July 2009

When casting 22cal bullets should the alloy be hard or soft ? I will be shooting with a 22-250 Rem 700 . Ues for hunting mainly.

Thank you

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
CB posted this 19 July 2009

Coydog

For hunting with .22 cal cast bullets in your 22-250 you want to go to a bulllet that will expand when it hits the animal. This can be accomplished through a soft lead bullet. Most bullets made out of wheel weights are hard because the antimony in the the ww makes it that way. Instead  a mixture of more lead less antimony is what you need. A mix of 15-1-1 is a good place to start. This is the place I stop and you take over. Trial and error is the way most learn.

Stephen Perry 

Angeles BR:fire

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 19 July 2009

Ordinary wheelweight lead in my 22 Hornet will go as fast as 1800 fps without leading (that's going to be the drawback to 22-250 velocities).  I think it has a BHN of about 7 or so.  A gas check bullet helps accomplish that by putting the pressure on the middle section of the bearing surface.  There are custom molds available for softnose bullets that are two piece. Hollowpoints can do that too.

http://hollowpointmold.com/>http://hollowpointmold.com/

http://lbtmoulds.com/>http://lbtmoulds.com/

Attached Files

Hunter

Leading using ww bullets is caused by several factors. High velocity loads, rough barrel and losing gas checks are some. The gentleman needs to realize there is a difference between a hunting and a target cast bullet. You don't need 2000+ fps in a 22/250 to have an effective hunting load. Bullet expansion is a major concern in a hunting bullet. The Posters concern was whether to make a soft or hard bullet. For hunting I advise a soft bullet.

Stephen Perry

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 19 July 2009

The expansion issue seems to me to be inconsistent when it comes to shooting varmints and such, certainly not big game. I've read a lot about people using FMJ bullets for fur bearers to avoid pelt damage,.I know there's a big velocity difference, but I think shot placement may be the key factor.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 19 July 2009

I use hard stuff (linotype or stereotype w/w mix) and in HP form @ 2200 fps in my 22-250 Savages.it fragments like a jacketed varmint bullet up to about 150 yards.

George Damron

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

linoww posted this 19 July 2009

i use 13-14.5g of  2400 and pistol primers with good luck.Have fun

George

Attached Files

George

Do you use bullets that aren't hollow point in your 22-250 and if so what mold.

Stephen Perry

Attached Files

linoww posted this 21 July 2009

For solids I use two Eagan's one 52 the other 62.Also the RCBS 55fn with very good luck.I have shot  the RCBS 55sp ,SAECO#221,Ideal 225462but they dont shoot well in my guns.I have a 4 cavity 225415 that is a 1.5 MOA grouper i use for general use.For a light plainbase load i like the 225438 with 4.5 of Winchester Super Target.

I shoot a Stevens 200 sporter in 22-250 with 1-10 twist for most of my shooting with 22 cast bullets.It groups 3/4” at best @100 for 5 and will hold 2"  to 3-1/2” at 200 in no wind.

George

Attached Files

CB posted this 21 July 2009

George

I too have had the 225 415 since I was a yut for a Rem 722 in .222. I also have 462 shoots about the same. I want to get 646 for my .223 and 22-250. I know where I'm going with my cast bullets just trying to figure how to get there.

George after I get our BR Range going for the NBRSA I am going to add a Cast Bullet Shoot for the locals. In 13 years of running Shoots at San Gabriel I only lost 1 match due to a swelled road from the day befores rain.

Stephen Perry

Attached Files

linoww posted this 22 July 2009

I forgot the LBT 22-55sp i had made.Veral tapered as close as he could to my drawings and it and it fits the throat of my Savage very well and shoots about as good as anything.I tried some  225646's that were borrowed and they didnt do very well.The bullets were only .223 and possibly that was the problem.Another friend who has the mold and it also casts small although he says it shoots well enough.I'd like to hear how it does for you when you get one.

George

Attached Files

linoww posted this 22 July 2009

I forgot the LBT 22-55sp i had made.Veral tapered as close as he could to my drawings and it and it fits the throat of my Savage very well and shoots about as good as anything.I tried some  225646's that were borrowed and they didnt do very well.The bullets were only .223 and possibly that was the problem.Another friend who has the mold and it also casts small although he says it shoots well enough.I'd like to hear how it does for you when you get one.

George

Attached Files

Sensei posted this 14 July 2010

Any suggestions on making a 1:9 .223 AR-15 shoot cast bullets or is it impossible???

Attached Files

Duane Mellenbruch posted this 14 July 2010

I am going to try to find out how that works out.  I have several molds but am starting with the Saeco #221 with a nominal weight of 60 grains.  I am casting them from Linotype alloy and may switch to Heat Treated casting alloy once I get the load development out of the way. 

The summer heat is here, and work requires more time than I would like.  I will be working with the AR clone with a 20 inch barrel in 1-9 twist.  My goal will be something that is reliable and reasonably accurate.  Velocity would be nice, but is not as important as the other two objectives.  I am not interested in match shooting, just something to shoot economically and keep the good stuff for more important uses.   Duane

Attached Files

Sensei posted this 14 July 2010

Thanks Duane - I posted this before your first response to me. I've tried the 55 gr Lyman 225646 mould with 5.5 gr of Unique. Have used Lyman #2 Alloy and believe that next I'll use Linotype to see If I can improve my velocity and accuracy.

Attached Files

Coydog posted this 15 July 2010

Upate I had gotten the lyman mold 225646 usen GC .Size to .225 and the BHN is 11.8 and use 7.7gr of red dot and It shoot good .At about 60 yards it shoot with in a 3/4” group. with a 5 shot test.Would this BHN be soft enough. I have no leading

Attached Files

Close