BEESWAX PAN LUBE???

• 8.4K Views
  • Last Post 12 May 2010
con10der posted this 26 June 2009

I have a few hundred 50 cal minnie ball type bullets for my flinter.I bought a block of beeswax to make lube.My question is (are)

can I use only beeswax as a bullet lube?

if not what do I add?I also bought olive oil.

Thanks in advance,JIM:dude:

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
runfiverun posted this 26 June 2009

the b-wax is too hard to work with alone. the olive oil will work but will degrade the b-wax over time and make the lube softer and softer you can melt b-wax in a microwave and stir in a measured amount amount of olive oil till you get the desirreded thickness when it cools. a pound makes quite a bit of lube at once.

Attached Files

con10der posted this 26 June 2009

tHANKS FOR THE REPLY.tHAT IS THE BASIC IDEA i HAD,:}i JUST WANTED AN OPINION FROM SOMEONE WHO “HAS BEEN THERE":dude:,jim'

Attached Files

GaSmuthBo posted this 20 July 2009

Con10der,

You may want to try a simple 50/50 mix of beeswax & crisco (ANY story brand will work) - that's all you need - add beeswax to stiffen the mix & crisco to soften - often Summer shooting in hot weather will need more b'swax & reverse for the cold weather shooting.    MY effort with adding olive oil into the mix caused the lube to leave a gummy mix on the .577 Enfields, .50 Smith's when I heated then to melt off the OLD lube, at the end of the shooting season (North - South Skirmish Assn). Had to melt the lead & re-cast to get the gum off.    Lube is something you can always play with - add this & that - see what you get.

Attached Files

con10der posted this 20 July 2009

thanks for the advice.i will try it.the olive oil hsa not worked real well.

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 21 July 2009

You might try canola oil instead. In some of the old lube recipes as well as new, it was refered to as rapeseed oil, it's original name (just not good for marketing). It's a little more heat tolerant than olive oil. 5% or so of ATF helps also. As Ed Harris points out in his article on Ed's Red, ATF was a product of WW2, I believe, as a replacement for sperm whale oil, which was in very short supply during the war. Sperm whale oil is a highly touted additive to bullet lubes for BPCR, and ATF is an effective replacement, very heat tolerant.

Attached Files

CB posted this 23 July 2009

I have a few hundred 50 cal minnie ball type bullets for my flinter.I bought a block of beeswax to make lube.My question is (are)

can I use only beeswax as a bullet lube?

Yes you can. Push the bullets out of the block of beeswax while still warm. Works fine for pistol and low velocity rifle. I have done it for fifty years, off and on with no problems.

John

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 23 September 2009

My preferred black powder cartridge lube is Emmert's Home Mix:

50% pure natural beeswax 40% Crisco (the “lard” type with no additives) 10% Canola oil. All measurements by melted volume.

I have modified this to better the keeping properties when bullets are lubed and kept over the season. Instead of Canola Oil, I use 10% Anhydrous Lanolin.

It will stay on the bullets long term and is a superb bullet lube. It also works well in .45 Colt black powder loads, also. It helps keep fouling soft, shoots accurately for long range and cleans up easily. It pan lubes extremely well.

It works well as a smokeless lube, also, but I use Lars White Label Carnauba Red for that.

Dale53

Attached Files

Dead Tree posted this 18 November 2009

Black powder lub is important to have a soap. To keep fouling soft and cleanable with water. Soap is made by saponifying fat. The old timers used lye and highly reactive stuff that could spatter and almost explode when in contact with the fat. I like and use in equal parts bees wax, Murphy's oil soap and original Neets foot oils. The Murphy's is a strong base and saponifies the oil, and the spattering is nothing. The bees wax is the binder for the soap. The fouling is solt and wet patch cleanable. Smell ain't bad either, smells like a baseball glove. This is an ole timey lube that I have stuck with.

Attached Files

dnorris posted this 11 May 2010

Dale 53

Would it cause the lube to go bad quicker to add Carnuba wax to this mixture?

Don

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 11 May 2010

The classic black powder lube is crisco and beeswax.

Please use  olive oil for the onions in the pasta sauce,and carnauba for your sweethart cosmetics,do not be a masochist,you are shooting a short range muzzleloader or an obsolete  black powder cartridge gun.

the relative quantities of the  components mix depends on the range temperature and the use ,miniè muzzleloading or black powder cartridges.Stop suffering,the name of the game is shooting,not cooking strange lubes in the kitchen pans ,and ruining your wedding,Women can feel smells we men cannot smell,they can suddenly transform themselves from honey to hyenas,if you contaminate their kitchen.

I can get crisco at the Leghorn American Market,where since 1944 you can find stuff liberated from a near US military base.

Every 4 or five years I go  to Leghorn ans Tuscany to replenish my magazine a pilgrimage in a beautiful region of art,renaissance,etruscan antiquities,alas now poulated by an aweful mass ov ignorant connunists,Dante,Petrarca,duccio and Michelangelo are dead forever,

The landscape is beautyful,and the bread and porchetta can elevate my soul saddened by the trogloditical natives.

Have a look at the porchetta.

Attached Files

raytear posted this 11 May 2010

Giorgio,

I can smell that porchetta right thru the computer screen! BTW, what kind of cheese is that? Mozzarella, perhaps?

I can't tell from the photo. Did you remove the skin or simply scrape/singe the hair off?

Good shooting. . . and better eating! RT

Attached Files

Reg posted this 11 May 2010

:dude:I just put on two pounds looking at that picture of porchetta !!!! You Sir do indeed add a real touch of class to this reading. Thank You !!!!!! :dude:

Attached Files

CB posted this 11 May 2010

Love the Pig. I suggest the Beeswax, with some Crisco with some shavings from a ivory soap bar.

It works for me and it makes my muzzle loader easier to clean.

I found the best cleaning rod for my old fashion muzzle loader and my inline rifle, a WW II surplus 50 cal, M2 cleaning rod. I found one at a junk store, still in the wraper for, are you sitting down, 50 cents. If the guy had more I would have bought them all, but he only had one.

Jerry

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 12 May 2010

The cheese is Young pecorino cheese,they are raising again large flocks of sheep in Maremma.Shepherds and sodbusters from Sardinia are repopulating the Appennines and antique Maremma (dried in the Duce time)marshlands,

I had two Porchetta loafs for lunch and a medium aged pecorino sandwich for dinner.

I try to avoid restaurants, a two pound beef steak Florence style is considered a small one.I would not not survive a full dinner. With antipasto,crostini di milza(pork spleen),pappardelle al cingiale ,cantucci col Vin Santo,not to mention the red wines. The 2 liter bottle is not water.I'ts grappa,the wine is Vernaccia di San Gimignano dry white wine.

This was on saturday,on sunday we shot a 200 meters Armi Chiappa trophy,in a howling Libeccio wind,all with cast bullets,of couse,a gentelman from Bologna and me made holes in the paper with our 45/70 replica single shot,

I put a dozen shots around the black with a Mod 17 from Winchester i had bought last wednesday,I had a custom 200gr mould  made by a former Merril's Marauder,that Ed Harris had sent me some times ago.

The bullets were well centered in the black at 100 meters,and at 200 were low with the 900 yards setting and high at the 1000 yards setting.

If I could find the original fine regulation sight of the P14 Enfields!

Attached Files

Close