.44 Special mould

• Last Post 4 weeks ago
jtcarm posted this 26 April 2023

After 8 long months, my smith 4” 24-3 is finally in its way back from the gunsmith having end shake and bc gap fixed.

Due to those issues, I haven’t shot it in years and seem to have disposed of all my .44 moulds.

So I’m in the market for an accurate bullet with a big fat meplat that I can push to a bit over 900 FPS that will take down feral hogs of up to 250 lbs.

Hollow points are OK, but I don’t want to rely on expansion.

Thoughts?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
lotech posted this 26 April 2023

For many years, I've had the popular Lyman #429421 and the Lyman hollowpoint of the same design along with the # 429244. A bullet that has been a bit more accurate than all these in my 24-3s and 29s has been the 200 - 205 grain flat nose Saeco design. 6 grs. Bullseye gives it a bit over 900 fps and it will expand some if you cast it soft, about 10 or 11 BHN. Recoil is less than the heavy bullets. I wouldn't be hesitant to use the SAECO design on wild pigs. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • delmarskid
  • jtcarm
jtcarm posted this 26 April 2023

Would that be the 445 RNFP?

https://www.redding-reloading.com/online-catalog/87-saeco-precision-bullet-moulds

Attached Files

David Reiss posted this 27 April 2023

Next time you have an issue with your revolver, send it to me. The issues you referenced could have been fixed and returned to you within 2-5 weeks including ship time. 

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

David Reiss posted this 27 April 2023

Try either one of these. They both shoot great in my revolvers and rifle. 

NOE - 432-281-WFN-BP1

OR

HTC432-262-WFN-BQ5

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

lotech posted this 27 April 2023

jtcarm-

No, the one I'm referring to is the #420. I also have the #445. Never could get the #445 to shoot as accurately as the #420. Both these moulds cast undersize with wheelweight alloy. I had them professionally opened up to cast .432" bullets, the best diameter I've found for my 24-3s and 29s, Some guns may do better with .431"s.

Attached Files

Aaron posted this 27 April 2023

Lyman 429244

With rifle in hand, I confidently go forth into the darkness.

Attached Files

Rich/WIS posted this 27 April 2023

Don't have a 44 anymore but when I did found the RCBS 44-250 to be excellent in terms of accuracy and it was an easy bullet to cast.  Don't have my notes handy but IIRC used Unique and loaded them to the +/- 900 fps range. Unfortunately arthritis has precluded any shooting of anything with much recoil, even standard service loads in a S&W M15 are painful.  God bless the 22LR.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • Bud Hyett
Bud Hyett posted this 30 April 2023

I was fortunate at a gun show to find an Ohaus three-cavity copy of the Keith 240 grain bullet. Almost broke my arm getting my wallet out to buy it. This mold has the square lubrication groove. Drops at .431 and sized .431 for lubrication only. I shoot scrap range alloy for pistol bullets trying to maintain a 94Pb/4Sb/2Sn alloy.

This mold appears to be the current RCBS 44 250-grain bullet. (RCBS bought Ohaus to begin their mold offerings.)

This bullet shoots well in three .44 Magnum Super BlackHawk handguns, one S&W .44 Special and two Marlin 1894 rifles. 

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
Pigslayer posted this 21 February 2024

I just ordered a new mold for my .44 Special from Accurate molds. It is in essence a clone of the Lee 429-200-RF. I shoot the Lee 452-255-RF in my Ruger Super Blackhawk .45 Colt which is an identical big brother to the 429-200-RF. My reason for not buying the Lee mold is that the newer molds just don't drop big enough. I size my bullets for my .44 Special Super Blackawk to .432". This particular bullet configuration is deadly accurate in my .45 Colt so . . . I thought I'd give it a whirl in my .44 Special.

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

leadhead2 posted this 22 February 2024

I have a Charter Arms Bulldog and shot the 429421 bullet at .430 and it leaded the bore something

fierce. Found the cylinder throats to be .432  I ordered a NOE mold at .432, and the problem went

away.

leadhead

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Glaciers
  • admiral
Pigslayer posted this 4 weeks ago

Yesterday I received my new mold for my .44 Special from Accurate molds.  It looks to be an exact copy of the Lee 429-200-RF. ?? I shoot the Lee 452-255-RF in my .45 Colt Super Blackhawk and it looks like the big brother to the configuration of my new .44 Special mold. This configuration is incredibly accurate in my .45 Colt. .44 Special 200 grain RF

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Close