44-40 Accuracy at 200 Yards @ 1,430 fps

• Last Post 16 September 2021
Bryan Austin posted this 09 September 2021

A few days ago I had the chance to go shoot again. This time I found a 200 yard range (225 to the berm) that is flat, but an hour drive from the house. I decided to join up, members only, and enjoy the solitude.

I have the Malcolm scope on my Uberti 1873' zeroed out somewhere around 230 yards. I have it set to where the 200 yard, 10 shot 8" group's POI's center is 6" above the POA. 

I placed my target board at 200 yards, placed a large "blank" target over the POI area and here are the results.

Video here...200 yard portion towards the end of the video.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-Zh27VDlkLwyURH426UMJrEutnPNYlod/view

Reviewing the video, the POI sequence is noted.

If I had used the notebook paper target, it should have looked like this,

Not what you high powder cartridge shooters would call impressive by any means, but for the 44-40.....it's dang awesome!!!

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • JeffinNZ
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes

might be interesting to have an informal * Whitetail Buster * match for guns shooting 40 to 45 -- cal short (   230-300  grain ?? ) cast ... at 200 yards ...

ken

Oh absolutely, 200 Yards

.40 cal - to .45 cal (38-40, 44-40), 44's and 45 Colt to include the .45-70 types. I'd like to include the 357 (not 38's). I'd just like to see how guys can group that caliber at 200 yards.

A few more trips to the range and I just might start one myself about mid-October!!!!!

I am going to self proclaim that John Kort is our standing winner for best groups at 310 yards on a Javelina

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Ken Campbell Iowa
  • JeffinNZ
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 09 September 2021

my Rem 788 , which we know is a basically very accurate action ... in 44 mag. gave with best cast loads about 3 or 4 moa ...

might be interesting to have an informal * Whitetail Buster * match for guns shooting 40 to 45 -- cal short (   230-300  grain ?? ) cast ... at 200 yards ...

22lr shoot short stubby light bullet moa without much effort ... why can't our good cf shoot lead better than 3 moa without much effort ?? 

or can they ? .............. do they ? ............  since 7 is a lucky number, anybody up for a 7 shot long range informal match ?? ... 

btw, my 44 mag remmy with best mj bullets only shot about 2.5 moa groups.  kinda boring, so i traded it off ... thinking back, maybe it was the world's most accurate 44 mag. rifle ??? ...  any body out there got a better one ?? ...  let's find out ...  heh 

ken

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bryan Austin
JeffinNZ posted this 10 September 2021

Per usual, outstanding.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bryan Austin

my Rem 788 , which we know is a basically very accurate action ... in 44 mag. gave with best cast loads about 3 or 4 moa ...

22lr shoot short stubby light bullet moa without much effort ... why can't our good cf shoot lead better than 3 moa without much effort ?? 

or can they ? .............. do they ? ............  since 7 is a lucky number, anybody up for a 7 shot long range informal match ?? ... 

btw, my 44 mag remmy with best mj bullets only shot about 2.5 moa groups.  kinda boring, so i traded it off ... thinking back, maybe it was the world's most accurate 44 mag. rifle ??? ...  any body out there got a better one ?? ...  let's find out ...  heh 

ken

Yeap, I'd say 2 MOA at 200 yards was the cats meow!!!  This target seems to be 4.11 MOA with this load. Remove shot #6, and the MOA drops to 2.962

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 10 September 2021

Bryan Austin::  count me in on a short fat bullet shoot ... i have been plinking 230 gr. pistol bullets in my 45-70 at about 8 moa ...  but they are undersized ... maybe some competition would make me step it up a notch ...  as is i have to keep the pop cans to about 30 yards ...

maybe the " short " rule would be    * max length =   x.x  calibers  *   ? ... then that would let in the 35 ...   would there be a minimum caliber ? ....  my 222 shot the stubby 225438 45 gr close to 1 moa ...  at least at 100 yards ...  a fox in the hen house ...  

gas checks allowed ? 

just speculatin  ... ken

Attached Files

Bryan Austin posted this 10 September 2021

all sounds like fun

Attached Files

Bryan Austin posted this 11 September 2021

I was looking around and wondering......if......

There are likely many ways to categorize what long range shooting means to people, but for the sake of these training materials, we are defining the various ranges as below, since we are going to be shooting long range: 

• Short range is less than 300 yds. 
  • Long range is 300-1200 yds. 
  • Extra long (ELD) range is greater than 1 mile

Shooting at the range at the usual 1-200 yard distance requires very little compensation for all the factors that come into play at longer ranges, including some physics, a little trigonometry, and a few formulas to use for long distance shooting. So the definition is essentially the difference between just shooting at the target directly, and having to make changes to your point of impact based on a number of factors you will be learning in this course. In the U.S.-based shooting community, we tend to use the term MOA for how accurate a rifle system is, or how big a group or target is in size. MOA refers to Minutes of Angle which is an angular measurement system that relates size to distance. 1 Minute of Angle, or 1 MOA, is considered the standard accuracy minimum for a long range rifle. A rifle that is said to be a 'one minute gun' is capable of producing a group of shots equal to 1 MOA at any distance.

That means if the rifle is fired at a target 100 yards away we can expect the group size to be 1 inch in spread from the center of one shot to the center of the shot farthest from the group and if it's 1000 yards, it would be 10 inches in spread.

See where I am going with this?  If this is the case, then we can take the "44-40", for example, and consider 300 yards as our "long range"...since we have so much calculation and corrections to make from 25 to 300 yards ;-). However, 1 MOA will never work BUT we can extend the group size to be 4 or 5 MOA, pending what we start seeing, and start with a total of .5" Group at 50 yards and 12" Group at 300 yards. We can grade the shots with the Ballistic-X iphone app. Basically the kill zone on a white tail...which is also what is needed for a man size chest/torso target.

The first cold shot needs to count for something since it is really what puts food on the table. Maybe we should just keep each caliber (.40-.45) and maybe the (45-70) and (.30-30/.35) as separate "categories", but then include all calibers (cartridges: 30-30 thru 45-70) for the over-all "monthly winner".

I think it would be fun!

Attached Files

Bryan Austin posted this 12 September 2021

Bryan Austin::  count me in on a short fat bullet shoot ... i have been plinking 230 gr. pistol bullets in my 45-70 at about 8 moa ...  but they are undersized ... maybe some competition would make me step it up a notch ...  as is i have to keep the pop cans to about 30 yards ...

maybe the " short " rule would be    * max length =   x.x  calibers  *   ? ... then that would let in the 35 ...   would there be a minimum caliber ? ....  my 222 shot the stubby 225438 45 gr close to 1 moa ...  at least at 100 yards ...  a fox in the hen house ...  

gas checks allowed ? 

just speculatin  ... ken

Might have one started on another forum...maybe we can just whoever wants to shoot? I have a sheet up here: 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LY2XcUP-Z-h7oiuZh630IIckYN6kk_1hq93aT6wlCus/edit#gid=0

Nothing serious, just fun and some data collecting

Attached Files

Bryan Austin posted this 16 September 2021

I chased a 5" spinner at 225 yards.

Spinner - 16

Me - 0

https://www.full30.com/v/deadly-weird-hntKU

excited

Attached Files

Close