400 Corbon

• Last Post 20 April 2023
Millelacs posted this 19 March 2023

I just picked up a .400 Corbon barrel, Lee dies, 250 PRIMED reformed casings, and J bullet loading data.

Regretfully cast loading data was not included, and I have been unable to find any in my manuals or on-line.

Any recommendations for - a mold
.                                           proper sized bullet diameter
.                                           loading data

Many Thanks.

Millelacs

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Eutectic posted this 19 March 2023

The 400 Corbon is an interesting cartridge. It is a 45 ACP case necked down to 40 caliber and headspace is on the shoulder.

The attractions were simple conversion by barrel replacement in 1911s, easy one pass conversion of 45 ACP brass, ability to roll crimp, lighter bullets - more velocity.

Disadvantages were 45 ACP pressure limits (often ignored by reloaders), short neck - cast bullets seat with lube grooves in the powder space.

I never had one. Friends tried it, some liked it "feeds perfectly", "lower recoil", "accurate". Probably as accurate as the pistol and barrel combination. Like the .38/45 Clerke it faded quickly, no real advantage. 10mm and 40 S&W are superior.

Bullet size is 0.401 (check your barrel) I would look for a bullet with a correct crimp groove.

Check the barrel for feed ramp support, if you have full chamber support you can push to 45 ACP +P levels.

Watch out for hot loads on the internet. People tried to hot rod the 400 Corbon, but the 45 ACP case limits the pressure!

Check the recommended jacketed loads you have, are they reasonable? Others here may help.

Sorry, I do not have cast bullet loads. I would reduce jacketed loads 10% as a start.

Let us know how it works for you.

Steve

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • John Alexander
bdrake71 posted this 19 April 2023

Steve posted good information.  The 400 CorBon in a 1911 can be loaded hotter than 40S&W but not as high as the 10mm Auto.

I primarily load two weights for my 400 Corbon 1911.  One using LEE 155gr SWC and the other with a LEE 170gr TC bullet.  I use 40S&W load data for most of my loads.  The extra case capacity of the 45ACP case helps lower the 40S&W load pressure on the case while still keeping the performance level on par with the 40 most folks are used to.  My barrel is a standard 1911 barrel link design so I don't hotrod it.  If you have a ramped barrel with a full supported chamber, you could probably load it to its higher potential.

Bruce

Attached Files

Millelacs posted this 20 April 2023

The barrel and link fit in my Norinco 1911, but NOT in my RIA.

I picked up some 165 gr Round Nosed 0.401" bullets.

Now to find some time to load while I'm getting ready for our first benchrest match.

Attached Files

Close