380 ACP Herco

• Last Post 12 August 2021
  • Topic Is Solved
Buhler50 posted this 22 July 2021

I have two 380 ACP pistols.  One is a SIG 238 locked breech model and the other is a Beretta 70 blow back model.  Both have alloy frames.  I have a lot of Hercules Herco powder and am looking for loads for 120-125 gr cast bullets. Older reloading data comparable to the vintage of my Herco powder don't list Herco loads, but do list Unique. The newer manuals list Unique loads lower than the older manuals.

What are my options?

Bruce

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
lotech posted this 23 July 2021

I no longer have any ,380 pistols, but did extensive work with several some years ago using three or four cast bullets, including a heavy one (a flat nose design of about 120 grains) cast from a SAECO mould. I tried a number of powders, including Herco. 231 was by far the best powder overall as for accuracy, but, nowadays, if I had a quantity of Herco, I'd certainly do some experimenting with it.

I'd have to do some digging into my old notes as I don't recall offhand where I got Herco .380 data. It's possible I may have developed my own so I won't recommend loads. Herco is just slightly slower than Unique, so you shouldn't have problems if you carefully work up loads. 

It seems few use Herco these days, but it remains a fine powder worth trying in any cartridge that can be safely used with Unique powder, though load data is certainly not interchangeable. Herco works particularly well for 9mm cast loads. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Buhler50
Boschloper posted this 24 July 2021

My 1988 vintage Hercules Reloaders Guide (the free ones they used to give away) lists Herco data for 88, 90, and 95 gr. jacketed bullets but no lead or anything heavier.  I used to have a SIG 238.  Great little gun.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Buhler50
Buhler50 posted this 24 July 2021

yes, the Hercules Reloaders Guides had Herco and the other Hercules faster powders listed but didn't have cast data for 32 ACP and 380 ACP.

I appreciate your comments, Boschloper and loth.

Bruce

Attached Files

358156hp posted this 25 July 2021

This is all I found, and not an exact match. No Herco listed, but Unique is. This is also the first 380 data I've seen for a bullet that heavy in a .380. As I expected, velocities are in the airgun range.

https://reloadammo.com/reloading-380-auto/

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Buhler50
Buhler50 posted this 03 August 2021

358156hp,

thanks for the link, which gives a large variety of powders, some of which I also have.  I appreciate that you did the extra research.

Bruce

Attached Files

Eutectic posted this 10 August 2021

The newer manuals have become more conservative, as well as more exact to limit liability.

I used Herco extensively many years ago. It is great in small and medium pistol cartridges. Unique data is much easier to find. I found starting with the maximum load for Unique and working up if needed to get reliable function worked every time.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Ken Campbell Iowa
Buhler50 posted this 11 August 2021

Eutectic,

my earlier manuals surely do list Unique noticeably higher than the newer ones. In the Hercules literature I have where Herco and Unique are both listed for the same caliber and bullet weight Herco is generally a slightly larger dose.  Your suggestion of"starting with the maximum load for Unique and working up if needed to get reliable function" is just another way of saying what I observed. It would be interesting to know how you came up with that. logic.  

Bruce 

Attached Files

Eutectic posted this 11 August 2021

Bruce,

I looked at the manuals where both Unique and Herco were both listed in a cartridge for the same weight bullet.

The maximum  Herco loads were always heavier. If you wanted to be more conservative you could start with the Unique starting load. I found the minimum load for good function was usually well below maximum. This did not apply to Lugers which always required maximum loads to function reliably.

I did not mention velocity, not everyone has a chronograph. To make tis work you must chronograph the Unique load in your gun. Velocity listed in the manuals are useless. Working up to the Unique velocity in your gun was always a safe load when test lab data became available.

This plan also worked when Power pistol was new and published loads were scarce. 

Steve

Attached Files

Buhler50 posted this 12 August 2021

Steve,,

Originally when I started using Herco,I did not have a chronograph so I was very conservative, as you say, in my use of it.  As I made more comparisons of loads in the manuals and other published Herco data points I felt more confident about developing my own loads..I did a lot of graphing of minimum and maximum data points of Herco and Unique, including velocity, pressures, bullet weights, and barrel lengths. I finally got a chronograph and when I tested the loads I had previously loaded with Herco they were very close to what I had projected. My calibers of interest then were 38/357/44/45.  I needed additional input before I jumped into 32 and 380.

Your information is much appreciated. 

Bruce

Attached Files

Close