38 Special Riflevolver Machinist

• Last Post 29 January 2019
joeb33050 posted this 26 January 2019

Looking for the machinist to turn, thread and put a rifle barrel on a M10 S&W. How hard can that be?

joe b.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ed Harris posted this 26 January 2019

If you don't machine the rifle barrel to clear the ejector rod and to enable installing the front locking bolt, spring and pin, you need to come up with another way to lock up the cylinder. The rear engagement of the center pin by itself is not enough.

When building heavy-barrel PPC guns a common method was to install a spring loaded ball in the frame below the yoke cut to engage a matching recess cut into the yoke.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/handgun-tools/crane-tools/crane-ball-drilling-fixture-for-s-w-prod9849.aspx

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/pinwheeler.shtml

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
R. Dupraz posted this 29 January 2019

Thanks Ed for posting that video.

Back in the seventies, when Ron Powers was a household name amongst the police combat fraternity, I was shooting the old PPC course with a couple of S&W model 14's. One a six inch on which I had mounted a heavy Bomar rib  and the other a 2 1/2 " for the belly gun part. 

Being a young poor trooper at the time, never had the moola for a Powers Revolver. Did a little dinging around back then, action jobs and such but never knew the details of how Powers located the points of that ball crane locking system.

Turned and threaded a bull barrel for the 2 1/2" belly gun once and was going to figure out a dove tail block that contained the front locking bolt for the front end of the ejector rod..after milling out a relief in the bottom of the bull barrel. Never finished it. 

Still have a new heavy Bomar rib for a six inch Smith bull barrel around here some where.

Now I know how it was done. 

R.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
joeb33050 posted this 26 January 2019

Thanks Ed, but we're doing it the easy way.

joe b.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 26 January 2019

joe b.

And how is that?

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 27 January 2019

joe b.

And how is that?

The rifolver is going to need sights, a forend and a front cylinder lock. One item could provide mounting points for all. That's how.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 29 January 2019

Sounds like a nice piece of machine work.  Would like to see pics when it is done.

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 29 January 2019

I hope this project works. I have a GP100 I would like to make into a carbine.

J

Attached Files

Close