Anyone try the new Trailboss yet?

• 12K Views
  • Last Post 04 September 2011
CB posted this 27 November 2006

Has anyone tried the Trailboss powder yet?  It is really bulky anf it can fill a .38spec case with only 3.7g. I did try it in a 308 but you can't get enough into a case to get past 1200fps. Burns pretty clean from what I have seen. Anyone else have different results?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
CB posted this 28 November 2006

Jeff,

Ya, I tried it when working on loads for the National. Thought I might find the super, duper, all-winning secret powder for the .308?  WRONG!

DuPont doesn't have much to say about it for the .30-30, except not to load too much for fear of leading. (I thought they meant too much velocity!)

I couldn't get any velocity out of it niether. Gerry and I ended up filling a case full in the .308 and in the .30-06 with 170gr LBTs. We shot 5-shot groups with it and didn't get over 1,400fps, I think. Didn't bother to keep the data. It did lead the bore real bad, too. Wierd stuff.

Better leave it for the cowboys to mess with. Every magazine article I read about Trailboss just raves about it. Oh, well.

Wingnut

Attached Files

CB posted this 28 November 2006

I hear it works pretty good for pistols.. Although I haven't tried it yet, got some loaded up. Just got to get to the range. Kinda hard with grand kiddies here all of the time. Maybe next Tuesday or Thursday or maybe both! I will let ya'll know what I find.

Attached Files

CB posted this 05 December 2006

Well here is the range report.

Fired 50 rounds - recoil was about the same as my normal target load of bullseye (4.0g) Accuracy was about the same, nothing outstanding. Powder is very dirty. Lots of residue left in the cases. It may perform better in a 45 colt or long colt.

Overall Impression: I will stick with Bullseye, more load for the dollar, less dirty residue.

Attached Files

LoLo25643 posted this 19 March 2008

Howdy ya'll, I,m a new member here looking at an older post but I'll relate my brief experience with it last fall loading the 10.4X38r Swiss round for the Vetterli. I normally shoot a load of Unique with 250 grain .429 pistol bullets but got in on a group buy from Lee for a more traditional 310 grain bullet. I worked up a good load using XMP5744 and ran across a can of Trailboss at a gunshow. I worked up a load using it and it shot into about the same group size as I get from XMP but is about 200 fps slower which puts it at about 1,100 fps. The XMP loads which give me about 1,300 fps with that bullet seem to be regulated very well with the issue sights of that rifle so I'll probably stick with it. Now that deer season is over and I'm getting to shoot a lot more I may do some more with it. I'ts a bulky soft shooting powder with a funky smell that may show promise in some other cartridges that I have so I wont leave it on the shelf yet.

Attached Files

CB posted this 20 March 2008

Hi guys;

A pound came to me for nothing, to try in some 44 target loads. Our game restricts velocity to under 850 fps and Chuck thought I might like the stuff. The little doughnuts cut better and easier than most other flakes in a Dillon powder measure. Yes it does have a smell that is different. It shot as well as any oyher powder and with a tight crimp wasn't any dirtier. For light loads it does a better job of filling the case, so stacking before each shot wasn't such a big deal. It takes about 15% more Trail boss to do the same as Red dot.  Considering what you get for what you use, I'll stick with Red dot or Bullseye, unless of course I get some more given to me. I don't mind being a reloading whore.

Roy

Attached Files

linoww posted this 20 March 2008

I shot 10.0 Trailboss in the 30-06 with 150g plainbase bullets.Accuracy was about 1.5-2” at 100 with the peep sighted 1903.Didnt run the speed-o-meter to check velocity,but it wes pretty quiet.Target on the left is two groups with Trailboss.I shot the first and clicked up and shot another group.The target to the rt side is with new 2400.

George

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 21 March 2008

I would like to try it but when I am faced with paying the same $$$ for 9oz as for a lb I would rather buy a pound of something close in burning rate. 

The idea of Trailboss is great but the pricing is not.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

CB posted this 21 March 2008

I have used it in a variety of rifles and pistol with good success as far as accuracy is concerned, but as with most the cost is prohibitive. The last bottle I bought was 15.00 for 9 oz.

I also had problems with it metering in my Dillon 550 with smaller calibers like the 30 carb, but that may be a problem with the powder funnel that I hope to have fixed by reaming it out. I havent tried it since I have reamed it out, but bullseye meters more consistantly.

I found the velocity in my 308 was a bit low with a full case right up to the neck and a 200 gr. gc'd LBT bullet. The accuracy wasn't too bad, aorund 3/4” @ 100yds if I paid close attention to the wind.

It shot very well in the 45 ACP and 44Mag, each with reduced recoil and less than 1.5” groups at 25 yards rested. I did notice a bit more dirt and mess than say bullseye or red dot. The fouling is also a bit sticky in my opinion.

Dollar for dollar there are more cost effective powders available that offer more bang for the buck.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 22 March 2008

Dollar for dollar there are more cost effective powders available that offer more bang for the buck

I couldnt have said it any better.

Yes it does ok for me,but for the velocity levels i would use it for I'll just wait until about any shotshell type powder shows up at the shows cheap. 

George

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

shooter93 posted this 23 March 2008

I haven't had it work best or in most cases as well as anything I currently use in anything. I gave 3 cans away.

Attached Files

AzShooter posted this 15 August 2008

I haven't tried it in my rifles yet but I think for revolver shooting it's the best powder I've shot in years.

I shoot 3.8 grains in my .38 and have found groups to be 1.5 inches at 25 yards.  About the same as my Bullseye or Solo 1000 loads.  The biggest difference is I find the powder exceptionally clean.  During an entire pistol match I don't have to clean my cylinders between stages.

This includes using it in the 625, .45ACP revolver.  Recoil is extremely soft which helps for quick shot to shot split times.

It may not be for everyone but at least I have found a good use for it in ICORE Revolver shooting.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 15 August 2008

AzShooter,

I think it is a great powder for you and the Cowboys, as that is what it was designed to do: minimal residue, soft push and hair splitting accurate not required. Sportman's Warehouse says they are selling a lot of it, so it must be filling a need.

Ric

Attached Files

leigh merriman posted this 16 August 2008

i am shooting it in 44special cases in a 10in contender,4.9gr,429421 boolit cci300 at 25yds with a 30.00 cheap cabelas dot scope.

my results are one hole,soft recoil,no leading with wheelweights.

i was trying to make the cheap scope last;i think it will.

Attached Files

Notlwonk posted this 16 August 2008

I tried a can and didn't like the way it metered. It was inconsistent with the pistol insert ( Redding powder measure ) and a little better with the rifle insert. I used it in a 45 auto, with 50 in a loading block several were noticeably light. My recollection is that these were maybe 2/3 of the desired load weight. I used it all up but it was inconvenient.

Attached Files

NoDakJak posted this 17 August 2008

In my fiddleying around with Trail Boss I have used a half dozen different powder measures.  It doesn't seem to flow well in most of them.  However!!!!      Much of my shooting is testing loads and to facilitate this I normally remove the hopper from my Redding measure.  This allows me to dip tiny pinches of powder to add to the pan rather than use a powder dripper.  Much faster and usually more precise.  I use the rifle insert in this measure exclusively.  Used in this manner Trail Boss has been one of the better measuring flake type powders, at least for me.  I can only conclude  that  Trail Boss does not like much head pressure and measures much better when only a small amount is in the hopper.  It also seems to measure much better with the large rifle cavities rather than the pistol measures with their narrow orfices.  Hope this helps.    Neil

Attached Files

Notlwonk posted this 17 August 2008

NoDakJak wrote:   I can only conclude  that  Trail Boss does not like much head pressure and measures much better when only a small amount is in the hopper.     Neil

I use a bottle adapter on my Redding, so I had any where from a little bit up to 9 ounces. I can see where that can make a difference. Too late now, I've taken a vow not to try it again!

Attached Files

specops posted this 23 August 2008

Remember the original purpose for Trail Boss.  Cowboy action shooters were getting lots of KABOOMs in handguns and rifles from double charges of fast pistol powders like Bullseye, Reddot, etc.  Going through 10, 000 to 12,000 rounds per year is about average for serious competitors so most reload on progressive machines.  Trail Boss fills the case in 45 Colt, 44/40, 38/40, 44 Russian and Special, even 38 Special to the point you can't double charge it.  It even works in 45/70.  And it stays within the CASS, SASS and COWS velocity limits for cast bullets.  It wasn't really meant for any other purpose.  I dabble at CAS since a local range holds events 4 times a year.  Trail Boss makes sure my 45 Colt 1897 and 1901 single actions stay in one piece to be passed on to my children.  :fire

Attached Files

kidwalli posted this 20 September 2008

I have only used it in Vaquero 45 Colt. Burns absolutely clean, great accuracy, meters well through Lee Pro 1000 with old style powder disc measure. I love the stuff. For reduced rifle loads I have been following the advice given in Joseph Brennan Jr.'s book “Cast Bullets for Beginners and Expert".

Attached Files

bpd303 posted this 14 August 2009

I've had good luck with Trail Boss in my 45/70 Taylor's Sharps. Other BP cartridges I load with it are: 577/450 Martini Henry 10.4X38R Swiss (41 Swiss) 11.5X57R Spanish Reformado No Fillers to mess with and duplicates BP velocity. It likes Magnum primers and a tight crimp.

Attached Files

jhrosier posted this 15 August 2009

I 'salvaged' about 500 .44 bullets that were too soft for full loads in the .44 mag by using a full load of TB. Velocities were in the .44 Spl range and accuracy was acceptable for short range plinking, but not outstanding. There was no leading. In fact the leading from the hotter loads was removed and the bore was perfectly clean after 500 rounds of these plinker loads. This was in a 7-1/2” SBH Hunter. Accuracy was better in a 5-1/2” Redhawk, about 2-1/2” groups at 25 yards.

Jack

Attached Files

buffalord posted this 17 August 2009

:cba:I tried it in my cimarron 1873 44-40 it did ok but i am like a lot of you it is for the cowboy matches. I could not get the velcity i wanted I have a buffalo arms ladder sight and it is set up for my 2400 load and i dont want to change the front sight.

Attached Files

crash87 posted this 18 August 2009

specops wrote: Remember the original purpose for Trail Boss.  Cowboy action shooters were getting lots of KABOOMs in handguns and rifles from double charges of fast pistol powders like Bullseye, Reddot, etc.  Going through 10, 000 to 12,000 rounds per year is about average for serious competitors so most reload on progressive machines.  Trail Boss fills the case in 45 Colt, 44/40, 38/40, 44 Russian and Special, even 38 Special to the point you can't double charge it.  It even works in 45/70.  And it stays within the CASS, SASS and COWS velocity limits for cast bullets.  It wasn't really meant for any other purpose.  I dabble at CAS since a local range holds events 4 times a year.  Trail Boss makes sure my 45 Colt 1897 and 1901 single actions stay in one piece to be passed on to my children.  :fire You popped the primer dead center, That is exactly what the intent of Trail Boss is............BUT, who do you know that can leave well enough alone?:wow: Is it not a cast bullet shooters duty to try and find other applications? One will never know unless he tries......:wnk: & that's a big LOL.     Crash87

Attached Files

WILDCATT posted this 18 August 2009

trail boss was a replace ment for black in cowboy shooting.I really is  a modern “Bulk shotgun” powder I used to get bulk shotgun powderand shot it in cap and ball revolvers.which were cheap $5/10.my uncle had an antique shop and bought a collection $5 for pistols and $10 for kentucky rifles.those were the days course you only made 35 cents an hr.:coffee.>

Attached Files

jlm2899 posted this 22 January 2010

I've shot some TB in .45 and .44-40 and wasn't overly impressed.  I did have a problem with it “bridging” in my RCBS measure and had to watch closer on that front.

Attached Files

Springer posted this 28 January 2010

I've used Trail Boss in my Ruger New Vaquero with 230 gr. Rn and 255 gr. FP both from Lee moulds. 5.6 gr. TB with the 230 gr. and 5.2 gr. TB with the 255 gr. Both shot well offhand with mild recoil. It fills the cases nicely and my Ruger wasn't too bad to clean after shooting. THis powder worked well in my RCBS powder measure. These loads are out of the Hogden manual.

Attached Files

green onions posted this 02 March 2010

I have use Trail Boss in the 357, 44 mag and 30-30.  I love it. :^:  I murder pop cans and paper targets.:showdown:  I do have other powders I use for hunting and shooting.  :hunt:

To me it's another option I have.  Love to have options.:dance

Attached Files

DAMRON G posted this 14 March 2010

Just tried 12.0 of Trailboss in the 7.62 x 54 Russian.Used a Win lp primer and threw the charges from an old Pacific Measure that works similar to the Belding And Mull “Visible” and it measured very well..The bullet was an LBT 200g Loverin style (sort of copy of the Lyman 311467) i had made up. With the issue sights the 1st 5 shot group at 100 was 1.25” and the 10 shot group went in to 2.4".(only loaded 15) With the first two high then the last 8 in to 1.5” .I estimate it to be going only 12-1300 fps as the 16.0 of 2400 i shot next has been chronographed at 1475 and was definitely much “hotter". Have shot 10.0 in the '06 with plainbase and the same charge with light PB in the  8 x 57 but never thought it did as well as Bullseye.

I had not previously liked this powder much,but maybe it has merit.Too bad it costs so much for the bulky stuff.Anyone shot it in other smaller bore(not 45-70) rifles??

George

Attached Files

green onions posted this 22 March 2010

There is a good writeup in April's Handloader. Has some good tips and loads. :coffee

Attached Files

nobade posted this 22 March 2010

I shot it some yesterday in my new 35 rem Marlin. Super accurate, 10 shots into a quarter sized hole at 50 yds. It works very well in my 358 as well. I'm going to try it in the Marlin with the RCBS 200gr. bullet for cowboy silo, it'll need lots of sight change but should be plenty for the rams with very light recoil.

Attached Files

raytear posted this 22 March 2010

Friday I shot some TB in .45 Auto Rim cases.

RCBS 265 HB RN for .455 Webley, sized .455 & weighing about 275 grns,  lubed with Javelina 50/50. Starline cases, CCI large pistol standard primers, 3.0 of TB. The recoil seemed a bit light and this particular gun has grouped better with Unique, Bullseye and Titegroup. About 8-9” at 25 yds. (vs. 4-6") and 3” left of center to boot.   :dance3.0 must be a wussie, liberal load.

BTW, TB meters wonderfully well in my old Ohaus Duo Measure--less than .10 grn. charge to charge variation in either large or small chamber.

I plan to load a few marginally stouter charges 3.1 & 3.2 and try again.

Attached Files

raytear posted this 26 March 2010

Today I tried some Trail Boss loads. It was a great day to be out shooting---sunny and in the 70s, wild flowers blooming. . .     As you will see from the text below, with the results I was getting, I think TB is worthwhile having around.

:vio:Trigger operator had mild arthritis in the hands today, and has              60-something eyes everyday.

Webley Mark VI, cal. .455 Webley. The cylinder has been relieved to accept .45 Auto Rim cases. Starline .45 AR case, CCI 300 primer, 3.2 of TB, Lyman 454424 sized .455, Javelina 50/50. Single action at 25 yards from a rest. With no crimp, shot 6” group, 4” low and 2” left. With light crimp shot about 4” group about 2” low and on center. This maybe my new standard load for this revolver.  The recoil “felt about right". No smudging on the cases as I have had with Unique and Titegroup.  I plan to try this same charge with some of the RCBS bullet described below, but cast from linotype, in this same revolver. That bullet duplicates the shape of the jacketed slug the Brits used in their .455 ammo.

TC Contender, 10” with open sights, cal. .45 Colt. New Starline nickel plated case, CCI 300 primer, Lyman 452460, with 5.8 of TB, and RCBS 455 265 grain RN HB with 5.2 of TB, both sized .452 & lubed with Javelina 50/50. (Those are the starting loads from Lyman's 49th handbook.) From a rest at 25 yds 7 of the 452460 shot into 2-1/2” high by 2” wide. Twelve of the RCBS bullet shot into 2-1/2” wide by about 3-1/2” high. No smudging on any the cases which were easily withdrawn from the chamber.

Yugo M1924, 8 x 57mm. New R-P cases, CCI 200 primers, 13.0 TB, Lee 175 grn. w/GC, sized .325. Replacement iron sights. At 50 yards off sandbags 4 shots formed a box about 2-1/2” wide by 3-1/2” high. In the center of that box were 5 shots in about 1 inch with 2 shots touching and the other 3 touching in a tight cloverleaf about 1/4” away from the other 2.  Some of the cases did not seal properly getting smudges but no dents. Perhaps these are the 4 flyers. I fired the group before checking in the spotting scope. I will try again, but with 14.5 of TB.  This rifle has about the smoothest bore I have ever seen on a milsurp rifle. It shoots extremely well with ammo it likes. So, I think it is worth pursuing some additional TB loads for it.

To arrive at the 13.0 starting load I filled a case to the base of the neck; that amount of powder weighed 17.0 grains. 75% of 17 is 12.75, so I rounded up to 13. This is a very light load--I could hear the slap of the bullet on the target from only 50 yards, rather than the impact blending with the report.   

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 01 April 2010

I got some Trailboss when I got a nice old Marlin 1895 that was made in 1896 and chambered for the 40-82 cartridge .

I tried this stuff in that rifle . Seems to me I used like 12-15 grains of that stuff and it filled the case up to the bullet !

Was very fluffy for lack of a better term .

Anyway it worked sorta alright I just never really cared for it .

Attached Files

DAMRON G posted this 02 April 2010

6pt-sika wrote: Anyway it worked sorta alright I just never really cared for it . I don think it will do anything Bullseye or Unique will do,but it seems to work fine and for the worrysome reloader  cus' you wont double charge a case.My issue is the $14 price for a 9 oz can. its a rip when coupled with how much it takes to get decent velocity!! Still,its been a darn good load in my Mosins lately.

George

Attached Files

Bongo Boy posted this 07 April 2010

I tried ~3.6gr and ~4.5gr loads in .45 ACP with a 200gr RNFP. A real 'hoot'...and amazingly, 4.5 gr actually cycled the gun using a fairly decent weight spring, although not every time. The lower charge was just asking too much for a spring intended for 9mm. When it did eject, the brass mostly fell into my range bag, so that was nice.

Ridiculously expensive and impossible to meter accurately. Using a pistol metering drum I was getting huge charge weight variations. Went to the rifle metering drum/insert and cut the variations in half, but still quite sloppy. I think I actually paid close to $18 for the bottle...and won't ever do that again.

Attached Files

Paavo posted this 04 September 2011

Hello Lolo.  I have  a `69 vetterli with a bore of .455 and I shoot 370 gn. bullets through it.  I want to load some cases with Trailboss ,could you tell me how many grains of it I should use for a subsonic plinking load ? Thank you, Paavo.

Attached Files

Close